“Rude......” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Rude......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My stay there was from 9/26/2013 to 9/29/2013. We were there for wedding. There was a problem with the way they charged us for the room and when I voiced my concerns to the front desk, this blonde girl with curly long hair told me that the staff had already discussed the billing with my Husband and I should ask him if I had any questions. She was rude and snippy, too bad I did not get her name. The rest of the staff was trully pleasant.
Another of my concerns that the vent above the bathroom door was crusted in dust! The rest of the room was cleaned.
BSK - Lancaster, Pa

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

A wonderful and caring staff make a stay a special one....The rooms are beautiful and all the services are exceptional...For any occasion, this is the place to stay in St. Paul...I would compare it to some of the best hotels in the world and do so without hesitation...One stay and I think you will argee with me..It is located in the heart of St Paul and close to all major attractions and venues....What more can you ask for???.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My son was getting married in Saint Paul and we had 33 people staying at the Saint Paul Hotel. The wedding and reception was being held at the Minnesota Boat Club. The Saint Paul did an excellent job of making this weekend special and worry free. The hotel is beautiful, elegant without being over the top. The staff understands customer service and goes out of their way to be accomodating. Teresa is with the wait staff in the bar at the Saint Paul Grill. She accomodated a variety of requests and changes in our party and did so with seamlessly, in a freindly manner and fun touch. She is a gem! The rooms are very nice, the beds are comfortable and quiet. There are some nice places within the hotel to gather groups. The hotel provided the use of the shuttle and the concierge helped to make sure the schedules for our events were accurate. Further the drivers (from the bell and valet staff) were great and followed the schedule so my guests had transportation when schedule. When I spoke with one of the drivers in advance of the wedding to express my anxiousness around schedules, Chris said "don't worry, we do this all the time". The staff is well trained to solve problems and make things happen for the benefit of their guests. Everything went exactly as planned and I am very appreciative. This is a great hotel and we will definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: I suggest rooms on the 12th floor if available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you! I am so pleased you to hear about your wonderful weekend. Congratulations to you and your son. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit up from Madison!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Don't get me wrong, this is a great hotel. The room was smaller than it looked in the picture, but I like cozy so I'm fine with that. The room was nice, but seemed aged, like the carpet was older. The furnishings were nice and you can see the detail that went in when the place was first done.

Pros:
Great shower, Great night's sleep, Quiet, very helpful and professional staff.

Cons:
Not the best layout for a business traveler. Minimal desk space, and a kitchen chair-type chair instead of an office chair, so not comfortable if you are working late in your room after meetings during the day.

Not sure if I'd stay here again. I'd like to see what else St Paul has to offer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

A two night stay for a family wedding was very much enjoyed. Excellent for comfort, pleasant surroundings, well-cared for rooms, exceptional Sunday buffet breakfast. Staff very helpful indeed. The downside was that I did not receive my room keys until after ten pm, despite booking two or three months in advance, which meant that I had to dress for a wedding in other people's rooms, and had nowhere as a base for two small grandchildren until very late in the evening. At the wedding dinner our tables were cleared too fast, before drinks and food were finished, and the hotel lost a second specially made gluten-free wedding cake.
However, the hotel is generally first class for comfort and surroundings. It has a great atmosphere, and the foyer in particular is splendid. Its setting in the city is also ideal. Excellent for large family group.

White Bear Lake
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The whole experience from beginning to end was a nightmare. I wanted to treat my partner to a special celebration for his 72nd birthday. His dream is to spend at least one night at the Hotel St. Paul. I had difficulty making any arrangements at all and eventually called to complain. They were all apologies and even promised me an upgrade which they did deliver. I taken great pains to let you know that this was a special celebration and the dream of my partner. We purchased a bed and breakfast package. When we arrived, were barely welcomed. the service was awful and essentially unwelcoming. The room was lovely. I had to call for a coffee pot which they promised me would be there upon arrival. We went downstairs the following morning for breakfast at, "M." The service was worse than I could've ever imagined. We had two friends join us for breakfast. We waited and waited for service and that was at a buffet! My partner was never acknowledged in any way. Finally, I wrote the manager and expressed my concern. He never responded. I sent the letter again. Again, he never responded. I will never go back.

Room Tip: I would strongly suggest that if you want to stay here second-guess yourself. there are many good pl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I am so very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations last December. Please know that we will use this feedback as an important part of our continuous improvement process. The experience you had was inexcusable, as was the lack of follow up. I am happy to discuss further if you wish to contact me. dmiller@saintpaulhotel.com or 651.228.3801

Thank you.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

From check in, to departure six days later, the customer service at the hotel was seriously lacking. Our room wasn't cleaned until nearly 4:30 pm on two successive days, which required locating housekeeping. The staff, from the front desk to the female bartender, acted as if they were doing you a favor and the customers were an inconvenience. The business center - .50 to print boarding passes - Really? While convenient to downtown, it appears the hotel caters only to special events and perhaps corporate travel. After all of the hype, this hotel experience was a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
David M, General Manager at The Saint Paul Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I am so sorry we fell short of your expectations. On weekends, we do shift the hours to clean rooms a bit later in the day to allow our guests a relaxing morning without anyone knocking on their door, but we could've certainly adjusted those hours for you. I also apologize for the lack of personalized service...it is something we generally pride ourselves on, but it sounds like a few of us did not live up to our own expectations. Thank you for the feedback.

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!