“Good location for a concert” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“Good location for a concert”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

Stayed for two nights to see Springsteen at the Xcel Center, a five minute walk from the hotel. Checked in at about 10 pm, doorman watched me struggle out of a van-type cab and offered no assistance but did offer to carry my small bag. Asked for a room on a high floor and was told that none were availabe because they were smoking floors (huh?). My room on the third floor looked nice and was of good size; oddly, the mini-bar was near empty, with just a couple of odd bottles and one can of soda - I called and reported this to the front desk. We had a snack in the bar of their good restaurant, The Grill, and even though the steak sandwich was not delicious, the fries were hot and the service was good - the room was also nice. Breakfast the next two mornings was great - Valerie, our waitress couldn't be better or nicer. We were shut out for dinner in The Grill that night (I emailed the manager when I found out that I was on the waiting list behind non-hotel guests, he responded to my email days later AFTER the dinner with a voicemail message left in the room: 'Sorry I didn't get back to you, hope you are having a nice time, sorry about the mini-bar'). Dinner that night was a disaster in their breakfast restaurant - they were terribly understaffed and the food was undercooked - they just couldn't handle the crowd. I bussed my own table. The Grill did allow us to have dessert after the concert, which was nice. The shower water pressure was good, the room was clean, the toiletries were nice, robes were nice, turndown on request brought two bottles of water and some small chocolates. I would stay here again for the next Springsteen concert.

(Here's one really weird thing: one night there was feces in the elevator. We didn't get on and reported it to the front desk. I never saw a dog in the hotel, but hopefully that was the source. You would think the owner would clean up after the dog...)

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

I just returned from a four-night stay at the St. Paul Hotel and I must stay it was one of the most pleasant hotel experiences I have had in a long while.

I was in town for a conference at the St. Paul Rivercentre and the hotel is within easy walking distance of not only the Rivercentre, but the hockey arena, several museums, restaurants and theaters.

Although St. Paul is a bit...let's say...on the slower side with not a whole lot going on, it really is in a great location.

The beds are extremely comfortable and the property itself is extremely well-maintained. Many times, older properties like this show signs of wear and tear and are not necessarily up to the standards that you might expect from their star rating. The St. Paul is a true gem.

The only issue I had was that there is no wireless access in the rooms. They have wired access, for which they provide a E-net cord, but the convenience of wireless was missed. Complimentary wireless access is available in the lobby.

Great staff, comfortable rooms and a fantastic location made for a great stay in St. Paul. Enjoy!

• Liked — Location, comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — No wi-fi access in the guestrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

This is a lovely hotel. I had a king bed room on the 12th floor. The room included a lounge chair and was one of the most comfortable rooms I've ever stayed in. It was clean, up to date and the bed and bedding was very comfortable. The staff is very personable and attentive. Some of the best people I've ever come across. The downtown area of St Paul is very clean and easy to get around. This property is close to the theatre and Xcel Energy Center. There was a bad storm when I arrived, but could not hear or feel a thing in my room. You did not hear your neighbors in their rooms. You could hear some doors shutting in the hallway, but that was not bad at all. The only downside was finding the driveway for valet parking. I never found it. It was busy on the streets that evening with a function at the theatre and it was tough navigating the people. I ended up finding the Lawson parking lot just across the street for $8.00/night and pulled in there to get out of the traffic. A man directing traffic there, told me I was very close to the St Paul Hotel and I was. Only had to take the elevator up, go through the Lawson building lobby and then across the street to the hotel lobby. I did circle the area a few times though and that was frustrating. I was at this property for a meeting. The meeting room was very nice and easy to locate. The meeting room temperature was actually comfortable, which is a huge plus when you are a captive audience for 8 hours!

• Liked — Room was very comfortable
  • Disliked — Finding parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

The St Paul Hotel is not the most "hip hotel" in town, but the service is impeccable and it "reeks" of old world charm!! It's purely and simply a matter of great customer service. Every "service" person I came into contact with was friendly and extremely accommodating. For example, I wanted to get a cab to go to a local restaurant and was told by the doorman that because it was so close to the hotel, they would be glad to take us in the hotel shuttle. When we walked out the door, the driver appeared before us and led us to the van. He gave us a number to call when we were finished at the restaurant and was there immediately. I could go on and on regarding the care and service I received, but you should find out for yourself.

• Liked — The Service!!
  • Disliked — Room was a little small, but got a great rate on it and it was very acceptable.
  • Stayed August 2007
Edwardsville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

The St. Paul hotel is the place to stay in St. Paul. We had taken a look through the lobby back in February, and decided that we had to stay there, next time. The hotel is on the historic registries, and we adore the grand old hotels. Everything about the hotel, down to the smallest detail is class. The staff is friendly, (especially one of the waitresses in the M St. Grill, who remembered us every day we were there!) the rooms are quiet, the beds are very comfortable, and you are made to feel like an honored guest.
We had a well stocked fitness center at our use, and the 24 hr access was very much appreciated. Loved the turn down service, and the chocolates and Italian spring water! Also very much appreciated the valet service, just leave the car, and they'll do the rest!
At 169 per night Friday and Saturday, and 129 per night Sunday, plus taxes, the prices are very reasonable, and the entire long weekend was very enjoyable.
Yes, we will CERTAINLY be going back there again!

• Liked — The entire hotel!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Fla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

On a business trip in St. Paul - $229/night

Pros:
1. very nice room
2. Nicely furnished
3. Big bathroom
4. Excellent breakfast
5. Concierge very accomodating
6. Excellent gym/weight room

Cons:
1. Not much of a view

• Liked — Gym
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

Our family and friends had the opportunity to spend the weekend of June 22 at the hotel when we met from 4 different countries to attend the wedding of my daughter. We booked 75 rooms for the destination wedding and everything was perfect. The rooms were comfortable, the service excellent and the food magnificent. Everything about this hotel it outstanding but the one amenity that will always be in the forefront is the concierge. Stephen stopped at nothing to ensure his guests were properly cared for. Thanks to Stephen, we have found a new home in the Twin Cities.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Saint Paul Hotel? Share your experiences!