Truly, nothing great here. The first thing that sticks in my mind is, each time, upon approaching the hotel whether by car or foot; there seemed to always be some street people hanging around the entrance. The hotel for the most part has nothing special or memorable about it. They are redoing the lobby and ground floor. Looking at the plans and the areas currently finished; I really didn't see anything that would give it the wow effect. The hallways and rooms were the same-nothing special. Very average rooms with tiny bathrooms. The bathrooms were so small that had the door been three inches wider, it would have hit the stool as you opened the door to the bathroom. In fact, in order to close the bathroom door, you had to first move into the small space between the stool and counter. Cleaning was good, and supply of the toiletries was also done well. Check in/out seemed slow not only for us but seemingly for a lot of people. That could be because the front desk seems to be temporary during the remodel-but, it should also be noted that it seemed to be staffed by only one person most of the time. What the hotel truly lacked was something it can't control and that was good eating places for dinner in the vicinity. The hotel is connected to other buildings through a second floor sky walk. On the second floor sky walk area-just outside the hotel is a seating area with several eating joints. Mostly sandwiches, bagels, coffee, etc. BUT-the vast majority of them close at 2pm, leaving scarce pickings for dinner. The situation gets far worse on weekends when all of them close for all day Saturday and Sunday. The hotel has it's own restaurant, but the menu is very limited, with considerably higher prices. You could even say the menu is not of a regular menu but that more of a bar menu. We noticed the several days we were there that while other food joints had customers, the hotel's restaurant sat empty. In fact, on a few days, it wasn't even open. You can walk several blocks looking for other restaurants, but for the most part they all served either bar type food, or lunch. The sky walk system is nice and would be much more appealing during rainy or cold/wintry weather. One thing to note though is the area is dotted with parking garages and like any major metro downtown, there is a daily fee for parking your car at the hotel parking garage-$15. We found getting around downtown St. Paul very easy and surprisingly void of medium to heavy traffic. Very light traffic, which means that there was really no noise issue to speak of when trying to sleep night or day. Taking into consideration that one needed to travel for any respectable restaurant for dinner, the rooms being small, and having to pay a daily $15 parking fee; I have to admit most people would be better served by saving the Hilton price for this very average property and book a room somewhere else. In other words, the price is not commensurate with the property or amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Paul Downtown offers guests comfortable accommodations in a convenient location in the heart of St. Paul’s entertainment and business district and skyway connected to many state, federal and corporate offices as well as great shopping and dining outlets. Each guest room in our St. Paul hotel includes a microwave and refrigerator for you convenience plus complimentary wireless for you to stay connected while away. Relax in the indoor heated pool or keep up with your exercise routine in the modern fitness center. Check out nearby attractions like the top-rated Minnesota Children’s Museum or Minnesota Science Museum. Visit us and enjoy The DoubleTree by Hilton Downtown and a memorable trip to the Twin Cities! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn St Paul City Hotel Saint Paul
- Hilton Garden Inn Saint Paul
- Hilton Saint Paul
- Saint Paul Hilton