“wedding weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101 (Formerly Hilton Garden Inn St Paul City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Special
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
chippewa falls, wisconsin, United States
“wedding weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

even though the hotel was under construction we had a very nice room.. Front desk was very accommodating and got us into adjoining rooms. The only observation I had was when we went to breakfast on the 2nd floor the only way to get back on the elevator was with a room key which was not explained anywhere on the advertisements in elevator or brochures. Luckily we had one on us, but other guests did not and was thankful that we were able to get an elevator for them.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

BSchmechel1, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi David
Yes, we lock off the elevators for key use only to give our guest added privacy. I will meet with the front desk team to make sure they mention this added security option when our guest arrive.
Thank you for your feedback.
Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Akron, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My visit here was quick, but I experience both pro's and cons. CONS: I stayed at this location as it was located right across the street from a conference I was attending. I was surprised to find that there was no valet/bellman available (I arrived around 5pm). Though I was on business, I was traveling with heavy items and no assistance was offered. During check-in, the front desk staff were pleasant, but did not make an effort to make me feel at home. I had dropped many hints that I was from out of town - business travel, 1st time here, long flight, hungry. I was fishing to see if they would indulge me and tell me where to eat, or things to do. But nothing. Crickets! The coffee pot in my room was broken as was the TV. The final Con to this review is that I always seem to ride the elevator with a homeless person. One homeless lady started screaming sexual obscenities at me. Needless to say, I only left my room when I had to. PROS: -The bed was very comfortable - and I slept really well despite being scared that a homeless person was going to break in! -Connected to sky ways and easy to get to/from different buildings. -The coffee pot that was broken was quickly replaced after a phone call. - I got a cookie at check in. Didn't cure my hunger, but it helped.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Hi Allison
Thank you for your comments. I will meet with my front office team and discuss your check-in process and how we could have made it more welcoming. I was glad to hear everything else was to your satisfaction. We hope to see you again soon.
Duluth, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

There is a great skywalk attached to the hotel with tons of places to eat etc. However none of these are open on the weekend! This isn't the hotel's fault of course but very frustrating. They also don't offer any help ordering from somewhere other than the hotel dining which is very expensive,especially for a family. The pool is quite small, no hot tub and was closed due to a scheduled power outage on the first three floors.

Hi Debra
We are sorry for the inconvenience that the pool was closed during your visit. We had to reroute some electrical wires that day due to our construction project. The New lobby is now open !
Also, the new restaurant will be open in just a few weeks.
We were happy to hear everything else was to your satisfaction.
Rome, GA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great location. Good rooms. Good food. Good value. Only detraction was the remodeling of the lobby. Other than that, the stay was good. Courteous staff at the desk and very helpful. Shuttle service within the city is a plus.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Hi Merle
We opened our brand new lobby yesterday May 28th. We hope to see you again soon. Enjoy your summer.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed at a different Hilton brand property in St. Paul last fall, and was very unhappy so I decided to give this one a try. It was MUCH nicer than my last experience in St. Paul. This hotel is currently going through a remodel in the lobby, which was no problem and I think it is going to look very nice once completed. My room was very spacious, clean, and comfortable. I did have one of the corner rooms near the elevators, and I think that may have given some extra space. The hotel was in a good location, and also offered shuttle services around the area, which was a great perk. I only had a couple of minor issues that kept this stay from being perfect. I am a Hilton Diamond member and was not recognized as such at all. Typically when I check into any Hilton property, I am thanked for my membership and also offered some perks. They are typically small things like even a bottle of water, but nothing here. Also, I received a breakfast voucher (which I think is a perk of being a diamond member, but was not mentioned when I was handed my key with the enclosed voucher), but it was only for continental breakfast. You were required to pay an additional $3 surcharge if you wanted any of the hot food at the buffet. I have stayed at other Doubletrees where the hot breakfast included made-to-order omelets, pancakes, etc., but not here. It was your standard Hilton precooked eggs and bacon that you would be served for free at a Hampton Inn. I just felt like charging a diamond member $3 for the hot portion of this breakfast was really nickel-and-diming it. It certainly did not make me feel like a valued member of the Hilton network. And my final concern was with the parking charge on my receipt. Parking at the hotel lot is $15 for anyone who wants to pull in there for the night. If you are staying at the hotel, they give you a parking card that allows you in-and-out access and puts the $15 on your room. Great! However, when you check out you will be charged hotel taxes on that $15, where if you just pay it as you leave you certainly would not be charged extra in taxes. It was only a couple of bucks, but it is the principle of the thing. The hotel should not be charging hotel taxes on the parking fee. I guess if you were going in and out of the lot (which we did not - we never moved our car), it may be nice to go through the hotel and get the card, but if you are just parking for the night, pay it yourself and avoid this extra charge. All said, I certainly would not downplay this hotel over a few dollars here and there. I liked the room, the overall setting, and the location. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BSchmechel1, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for giving us another chance. We were pleased to hear that you had a much better experience. I will meet with my front office manager to reiterate the importance of our brand promise and recognition to you our loyal customers. We hope to serve you again in the near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I would hesitate to recommend this hotel. Front Desk Manager is supreme at his job. Need more like him. Housekeeping needs major upgrade in training. Until renovation is complete and the rooms décor is updated would stay away. Most of the staff were helpful.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We would be very interested in receiving more feedback on the housekeeping services provided. In the meantime I will certainly pass on your wonderful comments concerning our front office manager.

Thank you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel was renovating the lobby and really worked to operate in the smaller space. They went above and beyond to fix a problem that was not their fault with a taxi company. Very friendly and everyone on the staff was sure to tell us how great things would be with the new lobby and entrance.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to serving you again.

Brian

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown? Share your experiences!