“Fine stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101 (Formerly Hilton Garden Inn St Paul City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Special
Ranked #6 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Duluth, United States
“Fine stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The rooms are in good condition with comfortable beds. The staff is courteous. The only thing that I could recommend is providing hotel guests with a discounted parking rate. Currently, it is a $15 dollar charge to park overnight in the adjacent ramp. This is the same price for guests and others in the area. A slight discount would be nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Timothy
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Brian Schmechel

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Marion, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Pulled up to the hotel and found out there was no valet parking. Guy at the counter was rude and extremely unhelpful. He had attitude when I asked if we could get a rollaway bed for the kids.

Room was freezing when we got here. We turned up the heat and went to dinner but when we got back it was still cold.

I took a shower before bed and there was no hot water. I called the front desk and they wanted to send up an engineer but we were ready for bed. They claimed that sometimes the water is cold....REALLY!

Sad excuse for a Hilton. We are here for a wedding and will not be back.

From the sounds of the managers responses to past reviews he is part of the problem and not the solution. Too bad!!

• Stayed December 2013
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello Katie
We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at our hotel. We regret that you had anything less than a stellar stay. I have addressed the issues you mentioned and hope the next time you're in the area you would consider staying with us again. I will be contacting you to discuss your visit in more detail.
Again, our apologies

Brian
Lake City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great hotel, clean rooms, great service, warm pool, close to skyway and great food options. The staff let me check it in early and gave me great directions via the skyway. Easy parking, I felt very safe traveling alone and walking around the hotel. The parking ramp is secure and I felt safe parking there.

SPRING VALLEY, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

clean hotel professional housekeeping staff and front desk super cool .Hotel well located / rooms are little smaller comapred to the same name hotel down town minneapolis if you have a family trip better place to stay and downtown @ night very safe and walkable via skyway

Cambridge, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

my experience with other double trees has been excellent. This time not soo much.

upon my late arrival (flight issues) I had to get in and out of the hotel several times. there is no easy marking telling you where to park. after checking in I had to go back out again. do a u-turn and go to underground parking that belongs to small shopping mall. which of course I got a nice sticker in the garage on my windshield that took a lot of work to remove. don't expect to park a full size vehicle in this garage as the parking spots are made for a Prius sized vehicle. so small you should expect some door damage from other cars.

once in the elevator a nice homeless person somehow found his way past security and trapped himself in the elevator alone with me. a nice enough guy until he started begging me for money and getting louder and louder. I put my luggage between us and prayed for my floor al the while telling him that I had no cash money as I'm from canada and just got in the us.

Breakfast meals were sketchy at best. love paying $16 for a toast and scrambled egg.

I am a hilton honors member but I won't be returning to this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Jason
We want to take this opportunity to address your recent visit with us.
It was unfortunate to hear that you had parking challenges. There is a large parking sign out in front of the building. Sorry you missed it. We are glad to hear though that the small U-turn got to where you wanted to go. We do not own the parking garage and there are many additional parking garages close by to choose from.
The breakfast we offer is $13.95. With tax and tip it would end up being about $16. However, it is a breakfast buffet with many items for our guests to enjoy.
Lastly, being located downtown, there are times when you will see a homeless person. Our security staff works very hard to monitor the entrances.
We hope you will visit us again.
Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Few things to know. I am a gold member and they upgraded me to a king deluxe corner room. When I checked in the person checking me in said that it was a larger room. I was not impressed at all. If I wasn't running late for a prior engagement when I was checking in, I would have request a different room.The corner room was tight and not any bigger than a standard room. I ended up on the south east corner. When I was leaving the next day, the cleaning person was cleaning the northwest corner room and that one was much larger. SO if you go there, request the northwest corner room. . .it has more windows too. The southwest corner room only has one small window and its off to the side.
I kind of lucked out. I booked the weekend getaway which included parking and breakfast. I don't usually pay attention to this because I choose the free breakfast as a gold member so I get free breakfast whenever I travel. But when I went to breakfast the waiter told me that the free breakfast is only continental. The waiter was nice enough not to charge me because I wasn't told but imagine how embarrassed I was when I started eating the hot items on the buffet when I shouldn't have. I thanked the waiter and checked with the front desk. As a gold member, that is true I only get a continental breakfast BUT because of the package I booked, I got the full breakfast and was given the right ticket. Waiter just didn't know the difference in the tickets apparently.
I personally would not pay the amount they are charging for the breakfast. It was expensive for what was offered. After seeing the prices, I wasn't surprised that the place was pretty dead in the morning.
Service from staff was EXCEPTIONAL. Every interaction was great. I was charged for parking when I wasn't supposed to be but front desk corrected it right away.
I did not get a chance to see the pool so cant rate that.
Overall, rooms are ok. I personally think the hotel needs an update and get some larger suites. Staff was great, location good. But I probably would only stay here again if there was a special rate as I wasn't impressed with the hotel itself. But I admit, my tastes might be higher than most. Which to be honest, is the result of staying 30+ nights a year in hotels.

Room Tip: If you request a corner, request the northwest corner.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hi Adam
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry about issuing you the wrong breakfast coupon. I was glad to hear the staff took good care of you regardless of the coupon you presented. Hope to see you again soon.

Brian
Indianapolis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The DoubleTree in downtown St. Paul is a great hotel, with an excellent location downtown. It is very walkable to local businesses and restaurants and has perfect accommodations for business travelers.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown? Share your experiences!