“poor excuse for a double tree” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101 (Formerly Hilton Garden Inn St Paul City Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Special
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
Cambridge, Canada
“poor excuse for a double tree”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

my experience with other double trees has been excellent. This time not soo much.

upon my late arrival (flight issues) I had to get in and out of the hotel several times. there is no easy marking telling you where to park. after checking in I had to go back out again. do a u-turn and go to underground parking that belongs to small shopping mall. which of course I got a nice sticker in the garage on my windshield that took a lot of work to remove. don't expect to park a full size vehicle in this garage as the parking spots are made for a Prius sized vehicle. so small you should expect some door damage from other cars.

once in the elevator a nice homeless person somehow found his way past security and trapped himself in the elevator alone with me. a nice enough guy until he started begging me for money and getting louder and louder. I put my luggage between us and prayed for my floor al the while telling him that I had no cash money as I'm from canada and just got in the us.

Breakfast meals were sketchy at best. love paying $16 for a toast and scrambled egg.

I am a hilton honors member but I won't be returning to this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Jason
We want to take this opportunity to address your recent visit with us.
It was unfortunate to hear that you had parking challenges. There is a large parking sign out in front of the building. Sorry you missed it. We are glad to hear though that the small U-turn got to where you wanted to go. We do not own the parking garage and there are many additional parking garages close by to choose from.
The breakfast we offer is $13.95. With tax and tip it would end up being about $16. However, it is a breakfast buffet with many items for our guests to enjoy.
Lastly, being located downtown, there are times when you will see a homeless person. Our security staff works very hard to monitor the entrances.
We hope you will visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Few things to know. I am a gold member and they upgraded me to a king deluxe corner room. When I checked in the person checking me in said that it was a larger room. I was not impressed at all. If I wasn't running late for a prior engagement when I was checking in, I would have request a different room.The corner room was tight and not any bigger than a standard room. I ended up on the south east corner. When I was leaving the next day, the cleaning person was cleaning the northwest corner room and that one was much larger. SO if you go there, request the northwest corner room. . .it has more windows too. The southwest corner room only has one small window and its off to the side.
I kind of lucked out. I booked the weekend getaway which included parking and breakfast. I don't usually pay attention to this because I choose the free breakfast as a gold member so I get free breakfast whenever I travel. But when I went to breakfast the waiter told me that the free breakfast is only continental. The waiter was nice enough not to charge me because I wasn't told but imagine how embarrassed I was when I started eating the hot items on the buffet when I shouldn't have. I thanked the waiter and checked with the front desk. As a gold member, that is true I only get a continental breakfast BUT because of the package I booked, I got the full breakfast and was given the right ticket. Waiter just didn't know the difference in the tickets apparently.
I personally would not pay the amount they are charging for the breakfast. It was expensive for what was offered. After seeing the prices, I wasn't surprised that the place was pretty dead in the morning.
Service from staff was EXCEPTIONAL. Every interaction was great. I was charged for parking when I wasn't supposed to be but front desk corrected it right away.
I did not get a chance to see the pool so cant rate that.
Overall, rooms are ok. I personally think the hotel needs an update and get some larger suites. Staff was great, location good. But I probably would only stay here again if there was a special rate as I wasn't impressed with the hotel itself. But I admit, my tastes might be higher than most. Which to be honest, is the result of staying 30+ nights a year in hotels.

Room Tip: If you request a corner, request the northwest corner.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bschmechel2011, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hi Adam
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry about issuing you the wrong breakfast coupon. I was glad to hear the staff took good care of you regardless of the coupon you presented. Hope to see you again soon.

Brian
Indianapolis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The DoubleTree in downtown St. Paul is a great hotel, with an excellent location downtown. It is very walkable to local businesses and restaurants and has perfect accommodations for business travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

New Ulm, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hotel worked great for my family trip to the Wild hockey game at the Excel Energy Center. We were able to utilize the indoor walkways from the hotel to the Excel - never had to deal with the cold outdoors.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Seattle, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Pros: very friendly staff, great location, easy in and out parking, close to highways and my family. Cons: strangely very stratchy sheets with a weird basketweave pattern on them. My husband and I and my sister and her husband (who were in a different room) all experienced this. Also, we all were unhappy with the very noisy fan/HVAC system. There was also a black splash mark near one of the hinges on the bathroom door the entire 4 nights we stayed there which was at my exact eye level when I was seated in the bathroom. There was also a piece of hair in the sheets that was manifestly a different color than mine or my husband's. Other than that, though, the room was cleaned promptly and thoroughly each day. Finally, the bathtub stopper had to be completely pulled out so the tub would drain - I was standing in ankle deep water throughout my first shower. However, when we mentioned a lot of these problems at checkout, the front desk staff was very responsive and gave us a really good discount on our stay. Overall - great service, poor physical plant, ergo an "Average" rating. We did not eat at the hotel, but there is a food court just outside of the hotel's second level which has lots of great and not-so-expensive choices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

La Grange, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We attended a wedding in St. Paul, and we were very happy with the service, the attitude of the staff, the breakfast, the cookies, and the room itself. The lobby is small, but we didn't really need a lobby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Visiting for Thanksgiving. perfect base of operations. everyone we encountered on the staff pleasant and helpful looking forward to staying again. The hotel is silent. Never slept better! not much to do in the immediate area. Make sure you have a car available.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown? Share your experiences!