“Not what the old reviews say.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 St Paul / I-94

You added Super 8 St Paul / I-94 to your Saves list
Super 8 St Paul / I-94
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1739 Old Hudson Road, Saint Paul, MN 55106 (Formerly Exel Inn)   |
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
NYC
“Not what the old reviews say.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

I read the old reviews and this is a much better hotel than discriped. Must have had a recent renovation and change of managment. Much better than most econony hotels.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
DennisStone, General Manager at Super 8 St Paul / I-94, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on our newly renovated Super 8 St. Paul property. I am glad that your stay was everything that you expected. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with our property. If you need to ever make reservations again please feel free to contact the property at 651-771-5566.

Dennis L. Stone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Room was very clean, comfortable and quiet - everything worked. Staff was friendly, courteous and willing to be of service. Complimentary breakfast of cereal, bagels, muffins, toast, juice, coffee, etc. was available in the morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
DennisStone, General Manager at Super 8 St Paul / I-94, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete this trip advisor review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you. We look forward to having you back again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations you might need.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed here on two separate occasions and found the front desk to be one of the most well run I've ever experienced. The young man on hand at evening check-in was extremely competent, courteous and customer-oriented. Breakfast and check-out in the morning went just as well.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
DennisStone, General Manager at Super 8 St Paul / I-94, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to complete this tripadvisor review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you. We look forward to having you back again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservations you might need.

Eau Claire, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and our 6 month old had to make a trip to the Twin Cites to pick up a friend at the airport early in the morning, so we decided to stay at a hotel the previous night. I used my Wyndham reward points ( I used to travel A LOT during my previous job) , and looked for a tier 1 hotel, which is potentially a little scary. I checked out reviews for this particular hotel in St Paul (located about a mile west of the 3M building in Maplewood), and honestly didn't say many good words about it, but I read on and realized the reviews were written a couple years ago, when the hotel was under different management, and used to be an Excel Inn. So I figured I'd give it a try. Here's what i found:

1. The hotel clerk was very pleasant and checked us in promptly.
2. The elevator was small but worked fine.
3. Our room smelled just a bit musty (like your typical hotel room), but not nasty.
4. The room was spacious, very clean, the A/C worked great, water fixtures worked fine.
5. It was quiet, so we slept well.
6. On our checkout, we had a great talk with the manager, and he really seemed to care about us and if we were satisfied with our stay.

So all in all, for a tier 1 hotel, I was very satisfied with my stay, and I have been to worse hotels that were tier 2 or 3!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to fill out a tripadvisor review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your family during your time in Saint Paul, MN. Our staff tries to go above and beyond with each guest and from your review it seems like our staff is doing a good job. We look forward to your next stay with us, hopefully in the near future. If you have any questions or need anything please feel free to contact the property directly at 651-771-5566.

Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for work during the week and was delighted with my stay. In the past I have stayed at Hampton Inns and other hotels and found this hotel to exceed the quality of my other stays. I will stay here on my next trip to the area and look forward to the stay.

• Liked — Fresh new look and very clean
  • Disliked — No eggs
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to participate in the tripadvisor review. I am so glad that your experience with our newly renovated property was better then expected. Since your stay the hotel has finished up all the renovation from the previous year. We also have new management and front desk associates. We have really been focusing on customer service and cleanliness over the past 7-8 months. My hope is that each and every guest has the experience that you had during their stay with us. For future reservations feel free to call 651-771-5566 and ask for me directly.

scarletfires
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for two nights, realized it was a disaster, and then switched to a hotel on the other side of town (my new hotel was still right on I-94...Days Inn Midway). The Days Inn was half the price (Super 8 had ridiculously inflated rates because a big convention was in town, Days Inn kept rates reasonable and had a pool and hot tub!).

The manager at this hotel was extremely nice and helpful, other employees were not. My room had bottom of the barrel furniture, very simplistic, would have been okay for $35-$40/night. The security door to the outside was broken, mgmt has told me this will be fixed in the future. Security failure allows people to enter from the back parking lot into the hotel and enter the second floor without passing the front desk. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that people live in this hotel and I witnessed what looked to be a meth-head blow in by this door. I did see one bug in my bed, but I think it must have come from outside. I lifted the mattress and looked for signs of infection, but found none.

There are limited choices for eating near the hotel, especially if you plan to walk. There is a Subway and Walgreens across the street. Also, there appears to be Thai restaurant next to the hotel, but it did not open the entire time I was there. It might be abandoned. The hotel does offer a continental breakfast, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, milk. I attempted to refill one of the coffee carafes and saw how dirty it was. The coffee is also terribly weak (but what do you expect?)

While I was staying here I learned from one employee that people LIVE in this hotel. Live-in hotels seem to attract or cater to activities that made me, as single women staying alone, feel uncomfortable. I didn't have a car (I'm a graduate student and was trying to say on costs), so I was dependent on the bus to get to downtown St. Paul. The bus comes every 30 min (not very often) and it is difficult to figure out where to get off on the return trip (it takes a different route).

The Super 8 is close to the highway- this is its main (only) good quality. But, the Days Inn is just as close for a lower price and MUCH better amenities. The Days Inn has a pool, hot tub, full service restaurant (serving all meals), and the rooms are renovated with microwave and fridge (good for a grad student!). Also there are buses that run every 10 min to downtown!

In the Super 8 lobby there is a sign that claims the Super 8 will be remodeled soon. You may want to see if it is remodeled before you go. Due to the security issues at the hotel that plagued my stay, I was compensated for part of my room, once again reflecting the professional manner of the mgmt against all odds. I would also call to confirm that the security door is fixed if you want to feel safe.

• Disliked — security, price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a trip advisor review. We have recently gained new vibrant employees and Management. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Contact me directly at 651-771-5566 for future reservations in the Madison area I will be glad to discount your next stay. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN
BIllings
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

One of the only hotels I could find that would let me bring "Fitzy" my Basset Hound to the show. I was told I'd have to stay in a smoking room with my pet, but once I insisted that I was in town for the show, they allowed me to have a non smoking room. I skipped the breakfast spread because doughnuts are too sugary for me, but they had a Perkins nearby so I was able to get some hashbrowns.

My room was nice, and very clean. A desk, a card table, and a full bathroom and I still felt I had room to set my things. The desk clerk was polite and I was able to get an extra pillow in the middle of the night. I'll stay there again next year, it's too hard to find a friendly affordable pet friendly place anymore.

• Liked — Quality, Price, Very nice people, location
  • Disliked — no HBO
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
I am so glad that you and fitzy had a great stay during your time in Saint Paul, MN. Our staff continues to go above and beyond with each and every guest thats comes through Saint Paul, MN. We look forward to your next stay with us where you can experience the newly renovated Super 8 of Saint Paul, MN and all the new amentities. For future reservations call 651-771-5566. Sincerely, Dennis L. Stone General Manager Super 8 Saint Paul, MN

Been to Super 8 St Paul / I-94? Share your experiences!