“Horrible manager! Unreasonable!” 1 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Saint Paul
“Horrible manager! Unreasonable!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

First I would like to say that I am not writing this because I'm hating on the hotel but with my experience there, I wish not to return and seemed like a racist act for no reasonable accusation. And I am not making this up. Booked the hotel for one night, checked in about 3pm dropped our stuff off because we were from out of town, of course, then left about 3:30pm to explore out stay in MN. Came back around 7:00, took or swim and the pool and the Jacuzzi, this was with like 7 of my friends. We rented 2 rooms with 2 beds. So then around 9pm maybe close to 10pm we went out to have fun for the night. Didn't get back till 2 and 20 minutes later the manager, Evan, came and told us that we were way too loud. So we were like ok maybe we are loud so went to our own rooms, 4 in the bedrooms, and not even 10 minutes later kicked us out for being loud again. I don't know about the other 4 people because they did have visitors too but in my room it was only 5 of us which the extra one was a visitor. We were just watching tv and talking to each other and he came back and kicked us out and said that we were being loud for the past 3 hours. First of all, we just got back for about 20 minutes only not 3 hours. Second, are we suppose to be whispering to each other, why we can't talk to each other? Thirdly, was there a sub-imprint somewhere on our stay that said that there's a curfew before a certain time? This was a horrible experience. Kicking us out at 2 in the morning, with no where to go, for not a reasonable reason and a total lie. I would love to at least have my money back for just a few hours of stay.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
We have reviewed your comments and we have sent you a private message to gather additional information about your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Kemaman, Terengganu, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Arrive on the 8th Jun, the hotel is nice, clean and people are great!!! Staffs and general public. Housekeeping folded a pet from the towel which was very sweet. Location is good, many bars and restaurant within walking distance. Overall had a real 5 days stay :)

Room Tip: the rooms should be good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was in town with friends for the Roger Waters concert at the Xcel Energy Center. Let me first say the location could not be better. The Xcel Center is a short walk across the street. Several bars restaurants within walking distance. If you want a good location this is it.

Parking was $15 during my stay and check in went smooth. The hotel has 3 elevators in the lobby one of which did not appear to be working. The other two were very slooooow.

When we got to our room it was clean but very warm. We turned the AC to 60 and went to have a good time. When we returned to our room after midnight the room was still very warm the AC was not working properly. Figured it was too late to switch rooms so we notified the fromt desk of the problem when we checked out. My room had two twin beds which were comfortable but small and many pillows to choose from. TV reception and picture was great. We asked for a roll away but were told fire codes prohibited but was offered additional sheets and blankets if needed.

The toilet had a purple foam running down the outside of it. We would wipe it up but it would return. The shower also had some dark marks on the floor. It made it appear dirty. We never used or saw the pool. Free coffee in the lobby in the morning and free USA Today.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have been in this hotel in may, 2012. The position is close the Saint Paul down-town, walking distance. The room is large with view on the cathedral, the internet connection is included in the price and it is fast enough. In the room a coffee machine is provided, which is also appreciated. The personnel is kind. Beds are comfortable and with choice of pillows.

On the negative aspects: the bath is really small, not for an adult. The toilet is automatically flashing a small amount of water each 15 minutes, which is annoying during the night. The breakfast is not included, it can be done in a restaurant within the hotel, not very convenient. The room has a fridge but it is empty (?). Not serious drawbacks anyway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear zarpietro,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We are sorry you found the bathroom accommodations less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed here on business. The room was really clean, and the front desk folks were attentive and accommodating. The pub downstairs is a few steps above a hotel pub - very cool actually. It was quiet, and there are a lot of great restaurants nearby. It would have been a near perfect experience but for the breakfast I ordered in my room. The breakfast menu is deceptive about its prices - I ended up paying nearly $25 for a single cup of coffee, a small juice, toast, eggs and potatoes. The eggs were supposed to be over easy but they were so undercooked they were inedible. The toast was dry, and they brought no butter or jam. The coffee was subpar. It was truly horrible. The only other negative was that they didn't offer any type of shuttle service, unlike most other holiday inns.

Don't order breakfast here and you'll enjoy your stay!

• Stayed April 2012
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. We were pleased to hear that our staff was very attentive and your room was clean.
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience due to your room service order. I have share your comments with our Restaurant Manager so he can review them with his staff.

Management
Winkler
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The staff was very polite and helpful. We were in town for a Wild game. First of all we went to our room and there was a used pair of socks laying along the bed frame. The room was 516 and the door was not sitting in the frame properly,at the top on one side the gap was wide enough to let light and noise in. The room was horribly small bathroom even smaller. Parking was decent but very expensive. It cost me $157 per night with tax. WAY too much for a hotel with the old less than mediocre Midwest small town atmosphere. I would expect much much more from a Holiday Inn. Especially a Holiday Inn downtown St. Paul MN next to the Xcel Energy Center.

• Stayed March 2012
cbuchanan8, General Manager at Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel. I am pleased that my staff was very polite and helpful. It seems we overlooked items that were left behind. I apologize for that. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Manager. Our hotel charges $14.00 an evening for parking plus tax. I have sent you a private message to contact me directly.

Management
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The elevators were horribly slow and the overall cleanliness was not good. The Liffey had great food and I thought the staff was as friendly as could be but given the choice, I would never stay there again. It's probably a great place for drunk hockey fans but not business travel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown? Share your experiences!