“Just what we expected” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking - Grand Avenue
850 Grand Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55105 (Formerly Axel's Bonfire on Grand)
651-312-1299
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Victoria
Description: Bonfire, a fun neighborhood restaurant and bar where friends and family gather to share food with bold flavors prepared on our wood fire grills. We are proud to be an independent and family owned company based in Minnesota, serving the community since 1996.
Chaska, Minnesota
“Just what we expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Been to a few of these around the cites and this one doesn't disappoint! We had some very solid entrée's, excellent in quality and flavor, attentive prompt service. Try to flaming cheese cool presentation! Nice atmosphere and they do a bang up wood fire pizza!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good for travelers that like Applebee's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

There are SO many great places in St. Paul and Mpls, so I don't regular Bonfire, but my out of town guests from the rural part of the state love this place. There are a lot of familiar dishes at a decent price. But if you are looking for a food adventure. This is not the place.

Visited May 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Will go out of my way to avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have not written an awful review... until now. I took a group of about ten people to axel's from out of town thinking that it would have something everyone would like. We were ignored for almost half an hour after being seated. No drinks, no aknowlegement. This would have been forgiveable, but once we were able to order drinks we had to wait for them as well, and when they were delivered my red wine was spilt literally all over myself and the person next to me. My friends shirt was ruined, and my wool jacket is stained. The waiter felt terrible, and we assured him that accidents do happen. Usually upon a mishap a manager will come to the table with an apology of some sort. This did not happen, but the waiter (who was already mortified) offered to purchase us an appetizer. It seemed to us that he may be having to pay for this out of his own pocket. We accepted with the idea that we could compensate by means of a generous tip, as it was really just an accident. By this time we have been at the restaurant almost an hour, and have had no food. Our app came out and was awful. What was supposed to be artichoke dip seemed more like warm milk with some green stuff in it. Our food came out next, and sadly not one person at our table had food worth buying. Even the french dip was bland and cold. After this entire experience we left still hungry and very dissatisfied, and with no recognition from a manager regarding the unfortunate events. Our bill was huge as the food is overpriced. I did end up going to the restaurant's website to notify a manager of the events that unfolded, as I felt somewhat in need of an explanation. No one responded to my notification. At this point I feel that there is awful food, awful service (not from our waiter as anyone can spill a glass wine) and no desire to make reparations.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
St.Paul, Minnesota
“VG Sunday brunch, excellent with kids, dining room a little dark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just had Sunday (Easter brunch) here, and would give it a strong B+/A- Service was extremely pleasant and attentive. Food was good to excellent. Long buffet table with range for fruit, vegies, fish, chicken, meat, very good smashed potatoes and hash browns, eggs, including made to order omlets, and excellent range of deserts.

Because it's a brunch and you can get food immediately, this is a very good place to take kids. We noticed many groups with young children.

We almost did not come here because of some negative reviews. I've eaten all over the world and feel good about recommending this place for those who are looking for solid, non-gourmet food.

The restaurant has several rooms. The first room you enter is mostly a long, nice looking bar. Off to the right is a main dining room which is, as someone noted, a cross between a sports bar and a cowboy themed dining room (lots of pictures with cowboy themes. This room was a bit dark for my taste. There are other rooms including one at the front of the restaurant, next to the front windows. If you like natural light, you might prefer this room to the cowboy room in the back.

Otherwise, nicely done.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, Scotland
“Good food, busy bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place has a very large and extremely busy bar area. Looks like a lot of folks like to meet here for drinks and appetizers so it is quite a loud and noisy place. Having said that, the food and service were good. My steak was delicious, although a bit more done than the requested medium. My daughter and granddaughter both really enjoyed their meals and an appetizer made with shrimp and guacamole was a real hit.

• Visited March 2013