“Poor service, OK food” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Minnesota
“Poor service, OK food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This restaurant is European and not in a good way. The wait staff barely acknowledges you and it takes a very long time to get your food. When abroad I will "do as the Romans do" but, I don't expect this from a restaurant back home. The breakfast I ordered was mediocre, eggs were undercooked (scrambled eggs so watery they were running down the plate) and toast was over cooked (like a crouton). Bacon was overly salty. Breakfast potatoes are fried in duck fat which is fine if you eat meat but, they don't advertise this for the benefit of vegetarian dinners. I guess I should have known better than to order American breakfast at a French restaurant but, if they can't get eggs and toast right, I don't have much hope for the rest of the menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Minneapolis Mn
“Meritage merits a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our group of four returned to Meritage for our fourth visit on June 19, 2013. Our first visit was in April 2008, and Meritage has since expanded and become even better. Meritage is one of the top two or three restaurants in St. Paul and one of the top ten in the Twin Cities.

This is a seafood restaurant with a French flair, and it does everything very well. The traditional escargot are perfect, meaning lots of garlic, butter, and bread crumbs served in a cast iron escargot pan which makes sopping up the butter very easy. The shrimps in the shrimp cocktail were huge, like small lobsters.

The Wednesday plat du jour is a fantastic trout, deboned and served with artistically placed green beans. My tender, crispy-crusted duck a l'orange was surrounded by tiny cylinders of beets and sauces I could only guess at. I'm glad the French don't frown on using bits of bread to clean up the sauces.

We shared a seductive chocolate panna cotta for desert, light but complex.

The wine list is intimidating and on the expensive side, but the list is well organized and informative.

Parking is available in the nearby Lawson Ramp.

Stillwater, Minnesota
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

going to concert 6/19/13 , thought we try meritage after hearing lots of good things about it . we could not have more impressed . the ambience , the hostess , the way the staff all of them treated us , the chef came by the table and asked how everything was . everything we ordered was fantastic and our waiter chris was great, he worked really hard to make the evening special for us and he did , thank you .

San Antonio, TX
“Paris in St. Paul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Best food, alive ambience, great wine, attentive staff. Got the chicken: succulent. Had a cheese course which was right out of a great European restaurant. Lovely view, lots of windows. Intimate feel.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Second visit, just as good as the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

What a great restaurant! What an expensive restaurant! Great, great service from the instant you drive up and use valet parking, to finally ordering desert at the end of the visit, even though there's no way you'll have room for desert... Just be prepared for $100 per person if you're getting wine with the courses.

I was there with my wife and another couple and all of our food was superb, as you'd expect, but I didn't expect it to be $230 for each couple. Youch. My entrée was only $20 and my wife's was $26, as was the other couples' entrees. Clearly, the "glasses" (2", max) (and, I don't expect it to be filled to the brim like Olive Garden, but halfway would be nice) of wine was the clincher on the bill.

All in all it was excellent, but I probably wouldn't let them bring wine for every course again without at least knowing the price. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere