“Wonderful customer service and great food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: St. Albans Street
White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States
“Wonderful customer service and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had an extraordinary experience at Dixie's on Grand Avenue on Saturday. We arrived for brunch amid the chaos of Grand Meander and Winter Carnival activities. Our server first told us that brunch ended at 11:00 and was not available nor were the drink specials. When I voiced concern that we had scheduled a party there specifically for the brunch items the manager and server worked to make us happy and offered us all the items we were requesting. On top of the perfect customer service the food was top notch. Crab cakes, stuffed mushrooms and cajun shrimp were phenomonal.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

minneapolis
“Food disappointing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Service and ambience are great but food was so bland and disappointing. Couldn't find any crab in the crab cakes. $20 for a turkey dinner came with dried out turkey and no mashed potatoes.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dunedin, Florida, United States
“1st visit--good food, good service, nice atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've always known this restaurant as Dixie's on Grand, so I don't understand this "Smokehouse Bar and Grill" name. Although we lived within 20 miles of Dixie's for many years, we had never eaten there until we moved 2,000 miles away and came back for a visit. We intended to eat at nearby restaurant, but it was Labor Day, so that restaurant was closed. We walked a couple of blocks to Dixie's and arrived around 11:30 when there were only a handful of other customers there. It was cool and cloudy out, so we chose to sit inside. Our server, Kathy, was knowledgeable and friendly and helped us choose what to order. My husband and I ordered Bloody Marys and we were pleased to see beer chasers set down with our drinks although we had forgotten to request them. Other areas of the country don't know this tradition, and we had forgotten to mention it so we were happy to see that this (apparently Minnesota) rite is alive and well.
I had a bowl of the crab soup and a side of cornbread, my husband had the Cajun burger that came with fries, and our daughter had the shrimp and grits. It was all excellent. My soup had shredded hard boiled egg on top and was wonderfully crabby and creamy; the cornbread was dense and corny and came with lots of real butter on the side. Our daughter's shrimp and grits was smooth and a little spicy and absolutely delicious. I didn't try my husband's burger, but his fries were really tasty with a crisp coating. We all left happy and full.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bloomington, MN
“New Menu, New Chef, Bad News”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Dixie's used to be one of my favorite restaurants in St. Paul. No longer. New chef had to "make his mark" on the menu. Selection has changed. One example...get this---Dixie's Smokehouse serves two types of ribs....But....removed coleslaw from the menu. They are known for their biscuits. Used to get 3 biscuits, now only 2. Cost savings? Price increase? Management needs to get involved to serve the customers rather than serving the whims of the new chef. Bring back the old menu. If the new chef wants to make his mark---try a couple of 'specials' to see if the customers will buy any. I will return, but not as often as I had.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“disappointed with the coconut shrimp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We love Dixies and go there for the coconut shrimp and crab soup. The crab soup is still wonderful, but the coconut shrimp was not like was. It was too heavily breaded and oily. Last time we had it, it was light and crisp, but not oily. I will still go back for the soup though. But forget the coconut shrimp.

• Visited August 2013