“Maybe it was a bad day, but” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
North Mankato, Minnesota
“Maybe it was a bad day, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We attended Carmelo's on a Saturday evening expecting something unique, based on the reviews here. What we found was friendly service, overpriced mediocre wines and average cooking. The calamari was under cooked and the crab stuffed mushrooms were cool. My signature dish, Chicken Carmelo, was good with a nice sauce but I expected more crispiness in the crust and more crab topping from the signature dish. My wife had the seafood cannelloni and was generally disappointed expecting more a seafood taste. It was overpowered by the sauce. I am planning on another trip back just to make sure this wasn't just a bad kitchen night.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

St. Paul, MN
“sublime surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We were driving by on our way to another restaurant and noticed Carmelos was open for weekday lunch. The good reviews I'd read popped into my head and we swung back around the block to check them out. The prices were amazingly reasonable. I ordered the special (tiger shrimp pasta) and my husband had what he always has, plain old spaghetti. We splurged on the caesar dressing for the salad. The first clue that this was going to be an extraordinary meal was the salad. It didn't look like it came out of a bag and the dressing was tasty. The lunch shrimp pasta had four very large plump shrimp that were cooked to perfection and the pasta and sauce were exceedingly delicious. I got a bite of my husband's spaghetti and it was neither plain nor old, with perfectly cooked noodles, sweetly spiced red sauce and a very tasty meatball. We thought we'd continue a good thing and shared a tiramisu and coffee. The tiramisu was yummy and the coffee was outstanding. Our server was friendly and prompt, and had nothing but nice things to say about the owner. No sticker shock when the bill came, either. We were very pleased and plan to return with family members.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great italian in a quaint place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This place has the most amazing seafood cannelloni. I go there for the same thing every time. they have a great wine selection too.

Visited January 2012
“Great Neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

stopped in for a quick dinner,and was not disappointed. Our waitress was fantastic-very friendly and helpful. The food was great. Every time we go in we wonder why it took so long to come back again!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St.Paul, Minnesota
“Nice, not fancy, good Italian food, neighborhood setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Pleasant place for good Italian classics - pasta, spaghetti, chicken & veal parm, ravioli, nice people. Nice wine list - not extensive, not expensive. This has been around for a long time. It's not fancy but it has good food. I would not drive 20 miles to get here. But if you are in the mood for good Italian food, reasonable prices, this is a place to try.

• Visited February 2012