“I ate here for the first time 60 years ago” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #236 of 685 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Minnesota
“I ate here for the first time 60 years ago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Time goes by when you are having fun or even if you are not. I have eaten here many times over the years and I had thought that I had reviewed this restaurant but alas I had not.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. Yarusso doesn't make very good pizza. They have never made very good pizza. I am sure that I will get an exception called on that statement but it is my opinion.

Yarusso is bar food that is not bar food. It is bar food because Yarusso is and has been a long time neighborhood bar. The food on the other hand is way better than any bar I have ever been at.

The bar and the eating area is separated by a half wall and the eating area is not large. It is not small either, it is just the right size.

I am a spaghetti eater extraordinaire so that is what I have. The standard portion of spaghetti is enough so you can take home enough for a next day meal. The traditional sauce is above average and the standard spaghetti comes with one meatball. I spiced it by adding red pepper flakes. It is a good meatball, an above average meatball but not an outstanding meatball. I shared my wifes dinner salad and it was very good.

My wife is an outstanding cook and took the extra Yarusso spaghetti sauce and turned it into an outstanding spaghetti sauce by adding green pepper onions and garlic. Yarusso could do the same thing but it would cost them too much so I don't fault them for not turning their above average sauce into an excellent sauce.

My wife had the Mostaccioli - Penne Pasta in Yarusso's Traditional Red Sauce. She thought it was bland. I like the Yarusso sauce more than she does so I thought is was not as spicy as it could have been. I would have used the red pepper flakes for more spice myself.

The meal cost us $25.00 including tip. We didn't find out about Yarusso's Dinner for Two - $22.89 Where you can choose from Antipasto Salad or Pasta Salad with Garlic Cheese Toast. Enjoy their Pasta Supreme with your choice of Spaghetti, Mostaccioli or Rigatoni, topped with Sautéed Bell Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Mozzarella Cheese and two Meatballs.

A few years ago my wife reviewed Yarusso's for our website and if you want to see that go to http://theopinionateddiner.com/Yarusso_Bros_Italian_Restaurant.pdf

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
“Great value for good portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Had a family dinner and was great value - 6 adults all for under $100.
The food was good; however not the best Italian we've had. Definitely prefer Vescio's lasagna over Yarusso's, but it was good. The ravioli was also good, however I would not recommend the cannoli for dessert; the shell was very hard and just crumbled apart. Also, the filling was somewhat grainy and not very flavorful.

Eau Claire
“Excellent flavorful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just looking some some good Italian and we really found it. The armosphere is good and the food must be great if the place is really busy at 8pm on a Sunday night. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent. We will definitely be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Union Grove, Wisconsin
“PLAIN, GOOD, STICK TO YOUR RIBS ITALIAN FOOD!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited on a Friday night and made arrangements to meet our son from Minneapolis. We all were provided with our drinks and menus right away. We ordered shortly after even though the place was clearly busy. I ordered baked mostacciolli, my husband ordered spaghetti with meatballs, and our son had cheese ravioli with meatballs. The portions were more than generous, with each of us finishing with enough for another meal. The mostacciolli was cooked al dente, and had LOTS of cheese, and I ordered an Italian sausage with it instead of meatballs, and it was quite good (a little spicy but fine). My husband enjoyed the spaghetti and the meatballs were also good. Our son really like the ravioli as well. Our drinks were refreshed as needed and we had an enjoyable dinner even though a table of about 20 showed up right next to us, half way through our meal. The downside was that my husband accidentally left his expensive sunglasses behind on the table, and when we called, "no one had seen them". That's a real shame. Otherwise a good experience

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, MN
“Best Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Took my out of country brother there last summer and as usual the food was very good indeed; they also have an excellent buffet each day, fantastic Italian food, but the coffee is not at all good!! Loads of local beers to choose from. I'd also recommend this eatery to others.

• Visited September 2012