“Maybe it was me ......” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Minnesota
“Maybe it was me ......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

..... but the hype for this restaurant exceeds the reality. Sure, it was sorta quirky and fun (although the color scheme made me a bit loopy after a while), and the menu selection was ...... good (we went for a lunch) ..... but I didn't leave the place thinking "Boy, I just can't wait to get back here!"

My daughter had the kid's fish and chips, which is a great value and she really enjoyed it. I had a chicken pasta dish with a cream sauce, which I was excited to learn could be easily made gluten free by choosing GF pasta and getting a GF roll. The upcharge was very modest ($1-2 as I recall) and the sauce was very tasty. The food was good, but nothing earth-shattering, service was good, and the value was fair. A solid 3.75 rating.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“Homey but innovative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Each dish we had was excellent, from appetizer to dessert. The prices are reasonable given the quality of food and the portions are good--not too large but satisfying. Our family has a vegetarian, a pescatarian and a meat lover, and each of us found something delicious. Service was very friendly.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
50onthego
“12 out of 10 Stars******”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I went here for breakfast after seeing a good recommendation for this place after a quick and haphazard search on the internet.

Perhaps it was just a day of great karma....or maybe our stars were all lined up properly in the universe....or perhaps lady luck was sitting on both of our shoulders. But this is all I know...

Hot Hash & Holly: My husband ordered this. Said, at the young age of 55....."This is the best breakfast I have ever had."

Killer Banana Waffle: I ordered this. When I read it on the menu, I thought, 'what a stupid name to give a breakfast dish!' And then I tasted it. In one word, it was "killer"...crazy good....stupid great! I think it might just be my best breakfast ever, albeit as I am seriously younger than my husband (3 weeks), I don't have as much experience as he to make such a bold statement.

I would like to be able to recommend other things on the menu at a later date....except there's no way I'll ever be trying them.

You must go...Everyone must go.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
De Pere, WI
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our group of four had the huevos rancheros (yum!), breakfast burrito with pulled pork - very good and the basic American breakfast. Everything was very tasty. Great service and super friendly wait staff. Will definitely stop again for breakfast when back in the area.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Paul, Minnesota
“I regularly go to Highland Grill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had the portabella mushroom sandwich which is good but messy. I really miss the beat carpachio salad!!!!!

Visited July 2012