“Change of heart!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
W.A. Frost & Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 685 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Western Ave.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Change of heart!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have written a review of Frosts in the past and did not give it a very good one. I need to correct that! I am delighted to say that we made a reservation for dinner before going to a show downtown. We were forced to make our reservation for Grand Ave as all restaurants in downtown area were booked....Saturday night! We took the chance...it was wonderful!! We were promptly greeted by a very pleasant, and professional host. As everyone has said, the patio is lovely, but it was not yet patio weather, so we were seated next to a window overlooking the patio which was delightful. There was a feeder hung right outside the window which allowed us to watch many varieties of birds come to eat. The waitress was very knowledgable and helpful in deciding on a selection. She was patient and pleasant with us when we needed extra time to make our decisions. Although the menu is not for the average person and the prices are on the high end, if you are looking for a dining adventure I highly recommend this place! The special of the evening was a rabbit dish that was larger than I was looking for but sounded fabulous. I had the rolled pork shoulder on a bed of farro that was absolutely amazing!! My husband had a substantial piece of fish which they were able to prepare as a very tasty gluten free option for him. I especially liked that the wine menu included the brands of liquor available. As I usually get a dirty martini & hate to insult a better vodka by adding olive juice (it is what I like) it is nice to know the prices and brands available without playing 20 questions with the server. But the best thing about the meal was definitely the Creme Brule!! Eggy, smooth, bespecked by real vanilla, a thick, dark crust of burned sugar expertly done and garnished with a large raspberry and a small dollop of real whipped cream. One of THE best I have ever had....and I have had a LOT of Creme Brule in my day! I plan to return to this establishment and recommend it often in the future.

• Visited April 2013

Minnesota
“Best place to have an outdoor cocktail in St. Paul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The courtyard is beautiful, the food is very good, the desserts are outstanding. This is one of the best 'date' locations for the over 25 crowd in the Twin Cities. It is quiet, with great service and pleasant surroundings - and a comfortable place for after dinner or after show or dinner itself. If you go there, sit outside if at all possible - it is a truly romantic and relaxing spot.

They have a nice selection of wines. The food is very good. Especially the appetizers and the desserts, but the main dishes hold up well too.

I have had the pleasure previously of dining inside in the private dining area for an event - it was outstanding in service, wine, food, and fun. This is a great place to be during a Minnesota summer.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hopkins, Minnesota
“Beautiful atmosphere to match the cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A friend and I decided to try W.A. Frost & Company, and we were not sorry. I made reservations and we were seated promptly. The decor is beautiful, very Victorian if you are into that sort of thing. I opted to try the tasting menu without the wine pairings as I wanted to partake in the cheese plate and get a variety of options. I highly recommend the tasting menu if you want a variety.
One of the nice things about W.A. Frost is there are a lot of options for your budget, you can go all out for the tasting menu or you can get a smaller entree. My friend ordered a smaller entree with a salad. They also have mini desserts if you want something sweet but don't want a huge dessert.
They also have an extensive wine and liquor list, it is huge and if you can't find it on their list, you don't need it in my opinion.
My first course was a beer cheese soup with a spicy pork rind, this was the best beer cheese soup I had, you could taste the beer and the cheese in it. They also gave a serving to my friend even though she didn't get the tasting menu.
My next course was an octupus salad on a bed of spinach and cauliflower puree. This was outstanding, the octupus was cooked perfectly (not rubbery) and the spinach and cauliflower was a perfect accent. My friend got the salad made of winter lettuce and goat cheese and candied walnuts, she said it was excellent.
The next course was a deconstructed rueben made with a duck breast. This wasn't my favorite, duck is kind of fatty and I forgot about that. The saurkraut was perfect thought, and they rye spaetzle was a unique innovation.
The next course was the filet mignon, this was by far the best filet mignon I have ever had, cooked perfectly and melted in your mouth. The heirloom carrots on the side were a nice touch. My friend ordered the pheasant sausage for her main course, she loved it.
The cheese course was a blue Spanish cheese with marcona almonds, honey, raspberries and flat bread. I am not a big fan of blue cheese but this one was good if eaten with the raspberries and honey.
Dessert course was a green tea and lemon roulade with ginger ice cream and an almond brittle. This was good but I am more of a chocolate person. My friend ordered the mini creme brulee.
Our server was very attentive, knowlegable about the menu and made great suggestions.
Parking is kind of a challenge, as it is street parking, so be prepared to drive around a bit and do some walking if you come at a peak time.
W.A. Frost isn't a place you go every day, but a good choice if you want to try something new or if you want a memorable meal for a special location.

• Visited March 2013
Minneapolis
“Wonderful food, nice place for a party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had our rehearsal dinner at WA Frost last weekend and the food and atmosphere were wonderful. They let us choose 3 options to offer guests and people were very happy with all 3 of the selections. The space was a bit tight for our large group, but it just made it a bit more cozy. All of the food that we have had at WA in the past has been phenomenal. I highly recommend WA Frost for a romantic dinner, family outing or a large party. They can accommodate it all!

• Visited October 2012
Minneapolis
“Yikes, this place is tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I enjoyed this restaurant with friends tonight during restaurant week and all 7 people at the table left happy. With a level of great sophistication, every course did not disappoint. I can't wait to take more people here when hosting in MSP. A true gem.

• Visited February 2013