“Delicious Italian” 5 of 5 stars

(651) 222-7378
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Louis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 805 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut
Pennsy
“Delicious Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place is amazing. It's a part of a larger complex including a bakery, pizza place, deli and bread shop. Louis is the nicer, upscale restaurant. But don't miss any of it if you come here! The pastries at the bake shop are amazing and fresh as can be. The breads and meat in the deli are delicious and top shelf stuff. They have a lot of specialty meats, cheeses and cooking items to choose from.

Louis has all of the Italian meals you could want from seafood to pastas. I had the lasagna bolognaise. The sauce was hearty and on the saltier side – just the way I love it. The meat (veal, beef and pork maybe?) was layered between fresh sheets of pasta and ricotta – tender and as pleasing to the lips as could be. I must say, it was a hugely generous portion to boot!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Paul
“Horrific”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I would like to start this review by saying that I am not a harsh critic of restaurants and I never review them, even it is a poor experience. In this case, I would be doing a disservice by not writing one.

Our group went to Louis this evening for a birthday celebration and I was appalled at how horrible it was.

1. When I sat down and moved my appetizer plate, my hand was covered in a sticky, gelatinous substance. I told the woman who seated us and she replaced it. I later found out that she was the owner and we never saw her again which was very disappointing considering the overall experience that I wished to tell her about.

2. Another member of our four person party unrolled his silverware and found that it was filthy and had food stuck to it. He didn’t bring this to the attention of the wait staff, just utilized the extra silverware setting that I was given with my appetizer plate.

3. A third member of our party had a dirty glass with some type of food stuck on the inside of it. This was brought to the attention of the server and she replaced it.

4. The person in our party who ordered the Chicken Florentine found that one of the breasts was raw after having taken a substantial bite of it. This piece of meat was not just slightly undercooked, it was completely raw. Once I was able to get the attention of our server, she took his plate and replaced the meal and a woman who identified herself as a manager came to apologize profusely and assure us that his meal would be on the house. She also asked if she could get him anything to drink. Since his glass was still full, we assumed that this meant that the drink would be on the house as well. Apparently that was not the case. Not only was he charged for the drink, he was charged for his soup and side as well. One would think that in an establishment that is trying very hard to be elegant, the customer service would be much better.

The food at Louis is average at best, especially for the price. I had been looking forward to trying the restaurant out and was beyond disappointed. I know that I, nor anyone else in our party will ever go there again and would certainly never recommend it. It was a huge disappointment and if a person were looking for a higher end Italian restaurant in Saint Paul, I would suggest Pazzaluna in a heartbeat. You could also consider staying in the downstairs a la carte restaurant, where virtually the same food, albeit still overpriced, is still a better option than Louis.

I also don’t believe that the undercooked food is a one-time occurrence. In reading other reviews after dinner, it appears that other people have encountered this same problem.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“disappointing food, don't make an 8pm rez”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

we had 8 pm for a BDay celebration of serious diners who know and love great food. ordered the sea food stew, the flavor was outstanding and the sea food cooked perfectly! however the broth was so over salted that I had to avoid it altogether as i ate. two others in our party that are food prof tasted it and agreed totally. no excuse for such heavily salted broth. The veal chop was raw approaching the bone as was the huge steak. the waiter was constantly whisking the table clear. we had wonderful antipasti (quality from the deli downstairs) with some exceptional wine but were hurried by servers. obviously all were in a hurry to leave ( it was only 10pm) hence the raw meats too. We did not comment as did not want to offend our host whose steak was raw. we love carpaccio and steak tartare but not when ordering chops and steaks. they were bagging up take home while others in the party were still eating!! the balsamic glazed carrots served with the veal were inedible, hard as a rock. undercooked. side such as potatoes and root vegetables were bad also.

the noise level was so terrible our waiter was hoarse!! the staff was friendly, good bartender, just don't make a8 pm res on a weekend. for such an expensive meal and our special celebration very disappointing.

Visited September 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice View. Good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We recently visited the new Louis restaraunt to check out the food and the views. The view is excellent as the roof top bar allows you to see the Cathedral and other parts of the city. We also sat down for dinner in the restaraunt. Here is what we ordered.
1) Fried Sausage and Peppers - average

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Stay downstairs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went to Louis on a Sunday night. We had the cioppino and a veal chop. Service did not match entree prices of 33.00 and 39.00. We had to ask for water, bread, spoon for cioppino. Greatest problem however is noise. Although the restaurant was only half full, my phone registered 105 db in our booth precluding much conversation. This has been noted by other reviewers and apparently is not going to be addressed by the owners. Stay downstairs where Cossetta's has provided an outstanding product for years.

• Visited August 2013