“Great local bar that's more than the corner pub” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 685 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Family Fare, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Excellent food and drink in a friendly atmosphere. We have 20 taps of Minnesota craft beer, classic and new cocktails, a surprising wine list, made from scratch food with high quality (mostly local) ingredients.
Minnesota, United States
“Great local bar that's more than the corner pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

From several sources, including a speechie friend, I've heard good reports about Ward 6, beer and food. I'm happy to confirm that the positive rumors are true.

Because I love the name, I started with a Pour Decisions brew out of the range of strong choices. Last week, I had a bottle of Maroon & Gold, an IPA of a sorts. Good in a bottle but better on draft. Nice start. G tried Third Street's Sugar Shack, which was good enough on tap that I bought a six pack to replenish the beer fridge this week.

Fries and Sugar Shack
Started dinner off with a order of herbed fries with beer cheese and harissa hollondaise dips. Solidly entertaining food with both sauces, but I want to try the lemon gastrique next time. We shared a grilled camembert on sourdough with pears, walnut butter and arugula. Really amazing. Chatting with my friend at a tournament after our visit, I think I will try the vegetarian Cicero Stew next time.

Tuckered out on a Friday night during speech season, I ended with the session ale by Pour Decisions: Pubstitute. More than adequate, but I had my expectations higher than the beer could live up to.

Overall, a great night at a local pub in St. Paul. The place is small and the biggest table is for about five. We tried earlier for a larger group, but they don't take reservations. More of a place for date night or two couples out for a chat for well served beer and inspired food. Plus, the service was spectacular. If I lived in St. Paul, I would be happy to walk home from Ward 6 as my local.

Pictures at http://pintsizedrevelations.blogspot.com/2013/02/ward-6-st-paul-mn.html.

• Visited February 2013

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great selection of Beers, great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stopped by for breakfast on Saturday morning. Nice selection of breakfast choices. Loved all the options of coffee drinks. I would recommend the beignets, reminded me of Cafe DuMont in New Orleans. For those looking for a nice selection of beers, this is the place to come. For history buffs, the locations was once owned by Hamm's Brewery. It is great to see such a wonderful establishment come to the East Side. Love the food, drinks and ambiance. We will be back.

• Visited February 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family gathered at Ward 6 to celebrate my son's birthday one Sunday evening. Parking was convenient: a large lot next to the building. The place was clean and the ambience was warm and inviting. Even though the ceilings were tall, the noise level was low, despite a full house. Food specials of the day were written on a blackboard. I was concerned about the limited menu, because one member of our party is a real picky eater. Appetizers were ordered: fried cheese, poutine and jalapeno meatballs and everyone was pleased (we sampled). Not gigantic portions, but everyone was satisfied. I ordered the Rueben sandwich with homemade french fries, which were very good. I'm not a big bread fan, but this toasted black bread was fantastic. Drinks were reasonably priced and the coffee was good. The service was a little slow, but every table was filled. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We will be back!

• Visited January 2013