“what happend with the food?!?!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Las Sirenas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #294 of 685 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Robert
Arden Hills, Minnesota
“what happend with the food?!?!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I came to Las Sirenas around father’s day. The food was great and our server was too, she was really friendly and she would constantly be checking on our table! So I came again last weekend with some friends. The food wasn’t as good as before it was salty, cold and some didn’t have flavor. I even asked for the same server but she wasn’t there. Our server this time was terrible she nearly came to our table and would be on her phone. Also our drinks didn't taste anything like alcohol. We asked to talk to the manager but I guess he was the bartender to and he said he was too busy and never came to our table. When the restaurant wasn't busy at all!!! I was hoping my second visit was going to be even better but it was to poorest!! I really don't know what happened to this restaurant!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Really tasty and fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Saturday for lunch. We ordered garlic shrimp and mariscos cuchi cuchi. We also got some ceviche. Wow the garlic shrimp were cooked properly and every tasty. The mariscos was really delicious well balanced and full of really good seafood. There were these little bits of pineapple in it that brought little bursts of flavor. The ceviche was fresh, very flavorful and really good. We will go back and try more of the menu.

Visited August 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Only thing good was the Guac!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went there for my birthday, my coworkers brought a Groupon. Drinks were ok, not the best that I had. The salsa should have been the big "Red Flag". I swear to you that it was crushed tomato right from the can with a few sprigs of cilantro tossed in. Yuck! Had to ask for the good stuff, then they brought out a verde salsa and a hotter red salsa. Much better. Said they were making new chips so it would be a little bit, but when we got them they tasted like they were freshly opened from a bag. Ordered queso dip. I don't know about you, but queso dip shouldn't be like flavorless warm milk and then curdle after 20 min. of it being at the table. Fajitas came with some nice looking grilled chicken, and a mound of par-cooked green peppers (no onion). We ordered two family style platters, one seafood and one turf. The "turf" that came out was pathetic looking, so when we asked if that was it, we found out it wasn't even the right dish. We got something that wasn't even close. After reviewing the menu on what it was, it looked like they screwed that one up too (no slaw and no plantains as advertised in menu). Our seafood platter was a mess! Someone in the kitchen took the liberty of dreaming up a whole new platter without even asking us or telling us. We were looking for the oysters, calamari, scallops, and the charizo cheese sause. Instead it was a weird comglomerate of the two choices of seafood platters, but without all the good stuff. Let me tell you that it was horrible! One of the servers asked if everything was ok, to which we told her about all the problems. She proceded to ask if we were through with our empty plates and started to clear them as if, I just told her it was the best meal we ever had! Huh?! If you go after 5pm, be aware that it goes from party clown/birthday balloon atmosphere and a few familys, too loud drunken karaoke, and roudy grandmas throwing down with the patrons so that your entertainment is watching security through her out! The ONLY thing we found good about the experience was the table side guacamole. Not worth $9, but good, especially if you mix in some of the real salsa.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great food! Great service! Friendly and attentive staff! It was nice to see items on the buffet that I’ve only had at home, made by my mom and aunts! I was shocked! I’ll definitely be returning!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fell a little short”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was so excited to finally try Las Sirenas. Unfortunately it wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe my expectations were too high. The weather finally cooperated to have a nice dinner on a restaurant patio! We were seated outside at a table that had bits of tomatos, lettuce, and spots of salsa on it. We sat down thinking that someone was going to come back and clean it for us. Didn't happen. We cleaned it ourselves. The menus that were brought to us were very dirty on the inside pages with drops of salsa and other food items on them. We thought about leaving but I really wanted to try the food b/c of the variety of seafood and how it is prepared caught my eye from the beginning. The Michelada drink menu was impressive. Went with the peanut one. It was served in a pineapple which was a very nice touch but couldn't figure out why since the michelada I ordered had nothing to do with any type of pineapple flavor. We decided to order the fajitas mixtos (steak, chicken and shrimp) and my sig other ordered one of the basic menu items that came with chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, rice and beans (Jalisco dinner combo). After we ordered, one of the waitresses dropped a glass and it broke into many different pieces. She came back and picked up the bigger pieces and left the rest there. I never saw anyone come outside to sweep anything up. Didn't think that was too safe. Also saw cigarrette butts on the ground around the tables etc. They should at least come out once in a while and sweep.
The food arrived and mine looked great except that there were only 3 pieces of shrimp with the steak and chicken. The hubby's plate didn't look so great. After taking a bite of his taco, he opens it up and realizes there was no chicken! I went inside to grab the waitress and explained what had happened. She came outside, took the taco away and brought a new one out and apologized. Meanwhile, I ordered another Michelada from a different waitress and as she brought it out, I noticed it was almost half smaller than the first one. Odd. After a bit, someone else (another waiter) came over and asked us if we needed anything. We told him we needed refills on drinks (water) and another order of tortillas. Wierd he didn't ask if I wanted flour or corn but didn't realize that until he never came back and another waiter (again someone different) saw me looking around. That waiter came over and asked us if we needed anything and we told him that we never received what we had asked for. By this time, my food was cold, we were getting a little annoyed with the service and just told him to forget about the tortillas and to bring us a box so I could go home and use my tortillas to finish up my dinner. A couple of friends happened to see us sitting on the patio as they drove by so they came in and joined us. We were already done eating but decied to order a couple of drinks. I ordered my 3rd Michelada. it took them 20 minutes to bring us a michelada, and 2 beers and a long island. This time my Michelada was the biggest one yet but tasted different but still good. I think what happened was that no one ever confirmed what type of Michelada I was drinking and just brought out something new each time because honestly I never really tasted what was supposed to be in there in the first place. The last one was super spicy. When the check arrived, our waitress (our first one) never offered to give us a discount or offer any type of incentive for us to come back since the food was not what we expected and the service was terrible. Needless to say, we paid the bill and left. Later that evening, we also realized that the enchiladas were supposed to be covered in red sauce not green like they were.
I have a groupon that I haven't used for the lunch buffet to Las Sirenas. I'm going to use it but I sincerely hope that we will have a better experience the 2nd time around.

• Visited May 2013