“Beat the parking nightmare--take the bus!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 54 Attractions in Saint Paul
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
8 attraction reviews
“Beat the parking nightmare--take the bus!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Minnesota State Fair is the second largest fair in the U.S., which means that there are a lot of people. Massive crowds coupled with 90 degree August heat can be taxing. I recommend going earlier in the day when it is cooler and people are still arriving. Also, parking will be nearly impossible. The best thing to do is to park at the Rainbow Grocery that is a few blocks south of the fair grounds and then take the 84 bus to the fair. It's a straight shot and costs $2.25 during commuter times (7-10am) and then (3-6pm) off peak times it's $1.75. Must have exact change.

11 attraction reviews
“If you love a State Fair....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Minnesota State Fair is wonderful. The venue is clean, safe and packed with lots to do and see. There is great music, a good midway, funny food on a stick, etc. etc. What more could you ask for? I moved to Minnesota in 2001 and have only missed one state fair!

Visited August 2013
Minneapolis, MN
11 attraction reviews
“Minnesota's Great Get Together!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Minnesota State Fair is amazing! If you are super organized, begin studying all the contests that anyone can join. Cooking, baking, herding, growing flowers, sewing, collections, etc. It's super easy to enter. I moved to MN in 1984. It took me five years to figure out that my children and I could win ribbons for anything and we do! I've won the stockdog competition twice with my Old English Sheepdogs. What a riot! The food, for the most part, is greasy and disgusting...but there are choices that would give you a stomach ache. I save my annual fried cheese curd "fix" for as I'm walking out the gates...so if I get a stomach ach, I'm not running around all day. The concerts and events are also wonderful. Outdoors, under the stars and they all end in time for the nightly fireworks display...where you have a perfect view! Definitely park off site and take the shuttle buses...or plan to sit in line for parking. The only downside is the cigarette smoke. I have one working lung and the smoke is a huge strain for me. But I hear that is a personal problem.

3 attraction reviews
“A not to be missed annual event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have gone as a family to the fair for 30 years and love it. There is a huge variety of interesting foods and always about 10+ new foods to determine if you wish to try. We used to have 7 in our group including our kids and would get to sample lots of food with everyone taking a bite. Now with a smaller group, we have to be selective on what we wish, often getting our favorites, roasted corn, cheese curds, malts from the dairy building, corn dog, veggie pizza, fresh cut french fries, etc. We love seeing certain things each year such as the seed art. People have art pieces made from various seeds and often there are funny satire pieces. We love the art building which has judged pieces of art in various forms, we like the Grandstand to see if there is any new gadget worth trying, we like the creative arts for homey done crafts such as quilts and other items that are beautifully made. We love the free shows especially at the Green Leine's bandshell and often there is great talent for free.Don Henley from the Eagles was there a couple years ago. The talent show nightly is fun to watch as is some of the radio or TV shows on the grounds. Every person has a different take on the fair. Some like the rides on the Midway, some like the livestock area, some like the Beer gardens or the newer Irish pub, some like sit down eating in restaurants, some like walking with snacks, some watch shows, some shop. This fair is like a permanent town that comes to life and is huge and interesting. We shuttle by bus for free and save on parking and the hassle of driving. Great way to say goodbye to our beloved summers.

3 attraction reviews
“The great meet-up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you're in the Twin Cities in late August up to Labor Day, the Minnesota State Fair is a great way to get a taste of our wonderful state. It's a meet-up of urban and rural, with all the usual fun of a fair--rides, food, parades, etc. Don't miss the Creative Arts exhibits tha tincludes paiting, sculpture, wooodworking, etc., as well as quilts and quirky projects. A big hit is always the crop art in the Horticulture Building. Food offerings range from strange to gourmet, with the signature items being anything "on a stick." If you've never had key lime pie on a stick, macaroni and cheese on a stick, beer on a stick, latte on a stick, etc, you have to try these at the Minnesota State Fair. Though there are lots of farm animals (and a Miralce of Life Center, where you can see calves being born), the grounds are impressively clean, and their attractiveness is enhanced by lots of flowers.

Visited August 2012