“Best Fair in the Nation?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 120 things to do in Saint Paul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minnesota City, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
“Best Fair in the Nation?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have always enjoyed the Minnesota State Fair. My son went every year until he went away to college. He liked the Midway and rides, I liked the animal barns and horse shows, my husband liked the good food and rival political exhibits. We all liked the arts and crafts buildings. I've only been to two other state's fairs, so it is hard to compare, but I will say we even drove from Chicago over the Labor Day weekend in horrendous traffic to drink all the milk we could hold and eat the bucket of chocolate chip cookies available nearby!

Shoreview, Minnesota, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Fun Family Tradition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Like many Minnesotans, we look forward to The Fair every year.

We always take the park and ride buses. So convenient and FREE! Highly recommend avoiding the hassle of finding nearby parking.

We like to go early in the morning, before the crowds get bad. Then, when it's too hot, crowded and we're tired, we take the bus to the free lots around St. Paul.

Our personal favorites: The craft building is the first one on the right off of the Snelling exit. I could spend so much time here. As a "trying" crafter, I deeply appreciate the skills, time, and creativity that go into the projects.
We tend to avoid the animal barns due to allergies. I like the birthing center - though not all family members do. I wish they still had Machinery Hill - the kids loved the big farm machines. We're not big on rides and don't buy a lot of stuff - but the Fair is a great place to people watch.

Food faves: The Felafel King, Cheese curds - best to split them, as they are sinfully delicious salty, fatty, and filling. Sweet Martha's cookies - though they're best the first day. (suggestion, bring a gallon ziplock, because they overfill the bucket or cone.) Roasted Corn. Shakes at the Dairy building - the lines go faster than they look. It's is always fun to try crazy new things too.

Wear comfortable shoes, bring a camera, leave before everyone is too tired.

Marshall, MN
17 attraction reviews
“State Fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were there at the State Fair two years ago. I like the people watching but it is rather crowded. You can find some great entertainment throughout the grounds, but it definitely is for a younger crowd because of all the walking necessary to cover the whole grounds. I would say that it is difficult to do in one day.

Hudson, Wisconsin
90 attraction reviews
“Best people watching site in MN!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Who doesnt love the fairgrounds; you can see the funniest people walking around, eat food on a multitude of different sticks, see farm animals, concerts, and everything in between!

During the off-season, the fairgrounds is a good place to walk around too.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“I'm not big on fairs but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a good state fair though to be honest, I'm not a big "fair" guy. The food is excellent and it has entertainment to satisfy just about everyone. I stay one day and that's about it for me. Another thing we do is to take a bus in (I think for $5) and take the same one out. The bus's are strategically located through out the twin cities and take you and pick you up at the front entrance. NO driving and parking!! Go for it!