“Not Very Gluten Free” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 685 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Cajun & Creole, Central American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Brasa serves comfort food inspired by the traditions of Creole cooking. Our menu is a celebration of new and old world ingredients, representing native influences and many many styles of cooking. We supply our kitchen with locally sourced products, free range and pasture raised meats, eggs, and dairy. We also feature organic ingredients, fair trade coffee & tea.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Not Very Gluten Free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We visited here with a group of six because the restaurant was supposed to be one of the best places in the twin cities for gluten-free dining. If so, God help anyone in the area who has celiac or is gluten intolerant. There were gluten-free choices but not much more than you would find in any other restaurant. About a third of the menu at lunch was sandwiches but none were available with GF bread. Salads and sides such as beans or greens were GF but then any restaurant could pull off those options. Our server was detached; maybe that was supposed to be cool. Anyway, if you're looking for GF choices, keep looking.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City, Missouri
“Wonderful local food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Everything I had here was delicious! Their flash-fried brussel sprouts were amazing (and I'm not a brussel sprout eater)! The atmosphere was fun too and in this very walkable neighborhood. I definitely plan to go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mn
“Fresh and simple, great flavors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We finally got around to trying out this place and we were both very impressed. It's not like your taste buds will be in shock at how fabulous and unique the food is, but you can tell that everything is made from scratch and with quality ingredients. I had the homemade chips and guacamole and it was just like I had made it in my kitchen. And it was inexpensive for the amount I got. My husband had the pork sandwich. I don't like pulled meat and I tried a bite and found it to be very very good. I'd consider ordering it next time.

We also had a side of the roasted yams with andouille. Again, it tasted just as it should. I left feeling satisfied. I didn't have the icky full feeling that I sometimes get after eating out. I will definitely go back. Probably one of my favorite places I've been in a while.

I didn't give it a full 5 star rating because the service was a tad lacking. It wasn't a big deal, we didn't need great service, but I reserve full ratings for the total package.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am surprised to see that this is currently rated number 5 in the list of advisable St. Paul restaurants. Not because it isn't good, but because it is an average affordable place, with good 'ol American food. It has a small menu, and when I looked at it online I was not very interested considering the variety of food and places to eat in the area. After going, I was quite impressed and loved my dinner. I have now been twice, and was satisfied both times. Casual atmosphere and savory food, as well as good service made for an enjoyable experience both times. I would recommend to anyone. They do not take reservations below a certain number of people in your party (I cannot remember the number... maybe eight?) and there is often a wait. The reason I give it four stars instead of five is because I don't think it stands out amongst the crowd. If you are looking for a hearty meal, with good food, it is a great place. If you are looking for something that soars above the rest, there are other places you might try.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Try the Yuca!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Every time I go here, the food is GREAT! I always get the Yuca potatoes with the cilantro lime sauce. I also ask for that sauce to go with all of my sandwiches as well. Affordable and definitely worth the money. The parking lot is a bit small and street parking is hard to find, but other than that, it is worth the time to find parking.

Visited February 2013