“Architectural gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Architectural gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I loved this place and would definitely stay there again. My room was cheap and available on short notice, and I really dug the roaring 20's decor of the place. My room had a flat-screen tv with full HBO channels, really nice coffee maker (in the full bar with a mini-fridge, microwave, and a full set of dishes??), and an ipod-compatible alarm clock. Strangely, my room had two bathrooms, one of which included a sweet misting shower and view down to a lower roof with a fountain on it. Maybe not the place for full room service, but the concierges were very personable and charming. There is a bottled beer / martini bar on the first floor. I'm not very familiar with St. Paul but was easily able to access the main bus route to the mall of America and the Airport on foot. Check this place out to save a little cash when there is a conference around the corner, I had a great time there!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed here the night we got married. Because we would be getting in late, we really were only looking for a comfortable bed and a whirlpool to unwind. Hotel 340 provided both.

The deluxe king suite was a great value at $119 compared to other downtown hotels (e.g., St Paul Hotel). The bed was enormous with comfy pillows, and the whirlpool worked well... If only we had brought some bubble bath.

We didn't sleep well, and kept hearing running water all night. It was loud. We discovered the next morning what it was... Our window faced a small, rundown little courtyard with a pitiful little fountain in it. Get rid of that dang fountain!

I think our room was 1006, so maybe avoid that room? The hotel itself was beautiful, especially the lobby, and the staff was very friendly... Even offering us a drink from the bar when we checked in at 1:00AM still in full wedding attire.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I got married in the same building as the Hotel 340. I had first off booked rooms a YEAR before my wedding, they got booked out to other people along the way. So then they saved a block for me that, yet again, were booked to other people. Finally, I just asked for 4 rooms a month, and then again a week before the wedding. They said we were all set to go. Come to find, me and my new husband were kicked out to another hotel because they completely reserved their hotel out. My family and I were so disappointed. The entire day was ruined by the hotel and university club of saint paul. Thanks a lot guys.

Stayed July 2010
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My wife and I had our wedding there in Oct of 2009 so we had the chance to see over 15 different rooms. Some of the views are looking at a wall, and some have a view of the city. Some are very spacious and comfortable and some barely fit a double bed. We slept in a corner King bed and it was the most comfortable bed I've ever been in. The bathroom are pretty small and elevators are slow. But overall a good experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

The room was beautiful, spotless, and comfortable. We had the room with a view of the Capital and the river. I guess each room is different. The reservation went without a hitch and the staff we met seemed excited to be working there. We were able to walk to the Xcel Center with no problems. Restaurants, breweries, Mickey's Diner - all within walking distance. I try to support businesses that are not chains and this was a winner.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

My colleagues and I got lucky when our conference hotel was full, and the booking agent there took pity and told me about Hotel 340 around the corner. This was our kind of place - we each had different kinds of rooms - all interior views (you could ask for a window - the place was almost full when we booked) but each with a different configuration. Mine had a fabulous king bed, a huge sectional couch, a lush bathroom with a shower and whirlpool; the other two had variations on this, with lots of great woodwork and nooks and crannies. If you like historic, you'll love this place. The front desk staff was phenomenal, and one of them even went upstairs to knock on my colleague's door when he was worried she might miss the flight (he was right - she just made it!). There was a great sitting room near the elevator where guests were sometimes socializing - I bet this would be a terrific place for a wedding, though I didn't see the banquet rooms. One of the desk staff told us about a great Mexican place called Barrio, five minutes walk, which we loved. The only thing I wish I'd known is that I was turning the shower handle the wrong direction...I thought there was no hot water and I called downstairs....but I finally figured it out!

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

stayed here for a wedding event. Everything was onsite so we really didn't have to leave the hotel.
Rooms were recently remodeled and the beds very comfy. Our room had a seperate "bathroom" along with a small kitchen area, and a seperate bathroom. Our room had an "interior" view. Request an exterior view room.

Front desk staff very helpful in knowing the area. Even called around on a Sunday night trying to find a restaurant that was open.

Try Q Kindness Cafe (accessed thru the skyway bridges)
A downtown brewery had great local beer and food
Mickeys cafe was a great reat with super food! try the breakfast for big eaters.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 340? Share your experiences!