“Wonderful stay at Hotel 340” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel 340
340 Cedar Street, Saint Paul, MN   |
Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Wonderful stay at Hotel 340”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at Hotel 340 while in town for a conference at the nearby River Centre. Rather than book at the large hotel chain where most conference-goers were staying, I looked around for a smaller, more affordable hotel. I hit the jackpot with Hotel 340! I travel a lot and I can say with confidence that Hotel 340 is probably the best "bang for my buck" that I've ever received. Hotel staff were super friendly, cute old building with character, and super nice room. Two room suite on the 10th with sectional couch, huge TV, great views of the city, 4-post king size bed with a million pillows........... all for under $100/night. The hotel is within walking distance of the River Centre and several restaurants/food shops. I would definitely recommend Hotel 340 to fellow travelers in St. Paul.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed for 5 days for a scientific conference. I loved the ornate old building. I stayed in room 1013 which had a view of the state capitol building. Hotel 340 is within easy walking distance of the river conference center, the science museum, the hockey arena, city hall and the public library. The skyway makes it easy to walk around downtown St. Paul. especially if you are dragging a suitcase. The staff were friendly, the breakfast was toast your own bagel or bread, cold cereal, and make your own waffle. There were fresh pastries and muffins.There was coffee, tea, juice or milk and fruit available throughout the day. I had the choice of opening the window or turning on the individual air conditioner for my room. Cedar street was being torn up north of the Hotel 340 to put in a new street level light rail transit system.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are on the 10th and 11th floors. The breakfast is put out in the lobby of the 10th f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Has great potential. I've stayed 3 times. I think it's 1112 is a great room. Feels like a very lovely bygone era. If there's a nearby party, wedding, or event- perfect place to stay. Just not in the tiny rooms.

• Stayed November 2011
Alma, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Hotel 340 this past weekend because of its close proximity to Xcel. After parking in the ramp, we walked and walked though the skyway before figuring out that the hotel was within the University Club. With that figured out, we were very pleased to find an ornate, historical, elegant hotel waiting for us. The check in clerk was overwhelmed and a bit annoyed by the short line of guests in the lobby. He hurried through the necessities and we were on our way. The room was adorable -- spacious and quaint. A nice break from the chain hotel norm. The room was quiet, despite a wedding that was taking place that evening. In the morning we noticed that there was only one coffee mug. We tried placing a MN Wild cup in the coffee maker to brew a second cup, but the machine was too smart for us. We were disappointed that two mugs were not available. More importantly, at 8:40 am we heard a knock at our door. We were still in bed, so it took us a bit to respond. By the time we got to the door we could hear a key unlocking it and a person entering. Weird! At 8:40 am? on our way down to check out, we stopped on the 10th floor to let another guest off the elevator and noticed a continental breakfast that no one had mentioned anything about. When we arrived at the desk for checkout, we thought we'd inquire about the break in, the breakfast, and possible parking validation...but no one was around. We found a note on the front desk apologizing and suggesting we leave our keys on the desk if we were ready to check out. This added to our overall unique experience. All in all, we'd probably stay here again. Now we know what questions to ask.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here for a concert and enjoyed the large spacious room we had with views of the Capital and the river. The kitchenette was handy for making coffee and keeping snacks cold. There is a simple breakfast offered each morning. The staff could improve communication such as where the ice is, where the breakfast is etc. They were busy with a wedding, so that may have influenced the check in, other wise, it was a quiet and nice place to stay.

Room Tip: The larger rooms on 11th are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Hotel 340 is inexpensive for the area so, given that, I guess you should not expect too much. Although it has old-world charm, the attention to detail is severely lacking. There is no sign out front letting you know the location of the hotel, walking in the door you are overcome by a severly musty odor, and all 3 rooms (yes, we were tranferred to three different rooms until they got it right) seemed to still be under construction (unfinished tile work as an example). Also, the number of mistakes they made within less than 24 hours was too many just to be coincidence. The first room they put us in was not what we had booked (they put us in a smaller room). When they did move us to the proper room it had a sewage odor (we think because of improper/incomplete plumbing), and finally the third room was just fine and an upgrade. I will grant them that their last decision to upgrade our room was a good one. However, the following morning housekeeping tried to enter our room while we were sleeping I suspect because the guy at the front desk who moved us did not put it on the books. I know I will not stay here again unless I have heard they have cleaned up their act.

Room Tip: definitely choose a larger more expensive room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel340, Manager at Hotel 340, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guests-

I recently had a chance to read over your review of your most recent stay with Hotel 340. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you for the issues you had in getting your correct room at time of check-in. It is in no way, a policy of ours to have to move our guests three times during a stay. I would love an opportunity to talk to you further about your stay and see what I can do for you to help smooth over the issues that you experienced with us. If you are able to, please call Hotel 340 at 651-280-4120 or feel free to email us at reservations@hotel340.com. Again, I greatly apologize for the experience you had with us and I really would like to speak more in depth with you so that we can ensure the issues you have mentioned are fixed for all future visits to our property.

Brittany L Eklund
Assistant Manger, Hotel 340
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed at Hotel 340 for a wedding recently. This hotel is historic with lots of character. The rooms are all a little different and has the potential to be very charming. However, the first thing I noticed when entering the lobby is the smell. It smelled musty and dank. The grand fireplace in the looby is stunning with marble floors and great woodwork. But, I noticed that some things were really run down while others had recently been renovated. It reminded me of the older hotels in Europe. Small rooms, tiny bathrooms, and not particularly comfortable.

My room had two areas. A very small sitting room with a kitchenette, TV and arm chair with a small writing desk and chair. The bathroom was very small. The door hit the toilet which banged against the wall when I sat on it. The tile in the bathroom was really old and stained. It looked dirty although I imagine it was just old. My sleeping room was sparse. There was a comfortable bed, small corner desk and a bedside table which had peeling wood. The windows had no curtains only cheap blinds. My room looked out onto the air conditioning units and the fire escape. My sleeping room had an exterior door that led to the fire escape. But, it was padlocked shut! If there was a fire, I couldn't get to the fire escape except through the window. The room had no decorations at all. It was painted a cream color and there were no pictures. It was utilitarian, no frills. I found that I was depressed when I left the hotel. Kind of sad and lonely feeling.

Overall, if you are looking for a get away or a stay downton, this might be a good option if you got a good deal on the rate. But be aware, this is no frills or luxury. It is a very old building and the room are small and sparsely decorated. Some parts are very nice and charming and others are really run down, cold and depressing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel340, Manager at Hotel 340, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I apologize for the late response regarding your review for Hotel 340. We are always looking for feedback from our guests regarding their stays so that we can address any areas of concern and improve our property. I apologize that you found your room to be lacking in decorations. We are in the process of getting photos framed and hung in each individual rooms as well as repainting our rooms to help update the look of them. We are also in the process of revamping the guest room bathrooms to help ensure a more comfortable stay for all of our guests. Again, I apologize that you were not absolutely thrilled with you stay. We strive to provide the best service and most comfortable accommodations for our guests and I'm sorry that you did not receive that. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for Brittany.

We hope that in the future, you will give Hotel 340 another try and give us a chance to show you our best! Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again.

Been to Hotel 340? Share your experiences!