“Happy hour at Barrio is a good change of pace” 3 of 5 stars

651 222 3250
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Barrio Tequila Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #156 of 793 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wacouta
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Happy hour at Barrio is a good change of pace”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This review is based on our second trip to Barrio in St. Paul.
We decided to call it quits at work around 2:00 in the afternoon. We met at Barrio so we had both of our cars. Parking can be tough, but luckily, we both managed to find spots on the street alongside Mears Park. From 2:00 - 6:00, we paid about $2/hour/car.

It was a beautiful, hot and sunny day and my baby was dressed for the occasion, in her little skirt and top. We specifically chose Barrio because it was the only bar in Lowertown which had a patio and had more eclectic food than the traditional pub cuisine (like chicken fingers and wings). Fortunately, we scored the last remaining outdoor high top but quickly we found out why it was the last remaining. The legs on the table were so uneven, our extra quarters for the parking meter slowly slid toward the edge. On one trip to plug the meter, I found some larger chunks of mulch in Mears Park. As I was under the table situating the mulch in an effort to make the table steady, I quickly fell in love with my best girl all over again.
On both occasions to Barrio, I would imagine we close to drank them out of Blue Moon. But they many beers on tap, as well as every tequila from the most remote distilleries in Mexico.
On this occasion, we had chips and salsa, as well as the fried chicken tacos with a mango salsa (the happy hour special of the day). The food didn't disappoint. The chicken was light and airy - perfect for a lighter course such as this taco. The chips were fantasic....served warm and salted. On a previous occasion, we shared the sugarcane skewered shrimp, the grilled skirt steak taco, chips and guacamole, the Amish chicken enchilada. and a churro for dessert. Everything we have tried has been delicious.
The only downside to this location is the patio is relegated to a few tables on the busy sidewalk and the street seems to be a common hub for mass transit --every couple of minutes a city bus pulled up. The noisy bus traffic (and their riders) made for a less pleasant patio environment than other restaurants. However, there is always a lot of activity in Mears Park to look at (we watched a middle age man playing hackey sack for quite a while).

All in all, this spot made for a great afternoon of beverages (despite the constant traffic) and if you can avoid the tippy table, the patio is a pretty enjoyable place to be.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Birthday appetizer crawl”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

On a Saturday afternoon, ten of us "crawled" through St. Paul, sampling appetizers. Each couple selects a restaurant and they order and purchased the apps at that stop. Good way to spend the day. The Barrio had great apps! Staff was just okay...they could have enhanced our experience, but ... Easy to pull together tables for a big group.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Excellent food and beverages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoy coming to Barrio for lunch. I usually get the taco buffet, which is around $10. They also make a mean Cubano sandwich. The buffet has hard shell and soft shell tacos with about every topping you can imagine. Filler is usually ground beef and and shredded pork, beef or chicken depending on the day. Black beans as well for the vegetarian. At lunchtime I desperately want to hit up their vast tequila selection, but it would be best not to go back to work naked so I don't. I have also been there before MN Wild games and they have a free shuttle. I like the view out on Mears Park. This location is nice and roomy, much bigger than Minneapolis. I've been to the Edina location once, it might be my favorite, but I go to St. Paul much more often.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul
“Authentic, high quility Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Barrio has become a favorite for my family. Small plates of authentic extremely high quality food. Vast Tequila selection if you are into that. Great service. The food is not your typical cheese coated "burrito bomb" but healthy and reasonably priced. Only downfall...parking is street only and Saint Paul tags and tows so be careful.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northfield, Minnesota
“Great margaritas, food a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Go for the happy hour--excellent shrimp tacos, guacamole, etc.

• Visited February 2012