How do I LOVE 161 St Anthony Ave, St Paul? Let me count the ways. First and foremost, as in any relationship, romantic, friendship, parental, or yes, absolutely, business, you never know it's truest quality until there is a problem, the bigger the better. Thankfully, my problem with the Best Western/Kelly Inn was not large in the scheme of life and it was very reasonably resolved. What happened and how? For those of you who are really careful about choosing an affordable AND excellent hotel, I'm glad you asked :).
The backstory, a situation one hopes never to encounter:
My granddaughter, who attends Hamline University, was taken to the hospital in a life threatening emergency. Her parents live 4 hours away and my daughter was about to have a baby at any moment so it was impossible for her to come to St Paul. Fortunately, I'm retired so I checked Tripadvisor for a place to stay and was on the plane the next day. (Bonus tip: Southwest was fantastic!)
The problem: When I called, I was offered the "hospital rate". At some point, I was told by a person at the desk that the rate I was quoted would start on the 6th night. Perhaps she was new? Having far more important matters to tend to, I only half way heard this and half way thought, "Well, there's something I'll have to straighten out later" and then in the urgencies at hand, I promptly forgot about it. On the 7th morning there was an expedited check out form under the door. This was surprising of itself because I had told the staff that I didn't know when I'd be checking out and had given them no indication I was ready to leave. Perhaps they were just trying to make life easier for me.
I saw that I'd been charged $14 more per night than I'd been quoted.
Hotel problem solving: I have rules for myself about problem solving. Always be respectful, present the facts, ask specifically for what one needs to resolve the issue, and strive for all parties to feel fairly treated. If a satisfactory solution is found, express gratitude. I am delighted to report that I think the management here tries to follow the same rules. The manager gave me the price I had been quoted and allowed that sometimes people misspeak. Were I him, I would do the same thing.
So what else did I love? Every staff member I met seemed to be doing their best to exemplify hospitality professionalism. The rooms, though not fancy, were clean. Housekeeping was given as requested on a card one left for them and did an excellent job. Jessica, Maija, Sheila and Shana in the restaurant were friendly and helpful providing me milk for the coffee in my room every day. (I hate creamer). The cook is quite rare in that he doesn't over salt his food! Yippee! The menu had variety and was delicious. The pool and sauna were clean and lovely. Very important to me, transportation was provided 24/7 to the hospital. It was also available for shopping, restaurants, and to area attractions within 3 miles. The lobby was comfortable. The halls could use updating but were clean. Don't know how often it's done but the windows were washed while I was here. The WiFi never failed to work and was free. The bed was a bit firmer than I like as was the pillow but I'm very picky. The bed and pillows were in excellent condition and were probably fairly new.
I understand that one of the top rated St Paul hotels in Tripadvisor isn't in St Paul so in choosing your hotel watch out for that. This one is within 5 miles of Hamline, St Thomas and MacAllistor, the History Museum is across the street and the Capital and other buildings of State are very close.
Overall, I'd say the value and professionalism of this hotel is outstanding! When my husband and I come back to see our lovely, talented granddaughter whom, thank goodness, is out of danger, we will stay here.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Kelly Hotel Saint Paul
- Best Western Plus Kelly Hotel
- Best Western Kelly Hotel
- Best Western Saint Paul
- Saint Paul Best Western
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of St. Paul’s best hotels, the BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn provides lodging accommodations near the Xcel Energy Center, Rivercentre Convention Center, The Minnesota’s State Capitol, and the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. We are also convenient to area businesses such as Lawson Software, Ecolab, and 3M and area attractions like the MN Science Museum and the Ordway Theater.When visiting St. Paul, Minnesota make the BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn your first choice for St. Paul Minnesota hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Best Western, Hotels.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.