“Outstanding service and professionalism greatly appreciated.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in Saint Paul
Birmingham, Alabama
“Outstanding service and professionalism greatly appreciated.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

How do I LOVE 161 St Anthony Ave, St Paul? Let me count the ways. First and foremost, as in any relationship, romantic, friendship, parental, or yes, absolutely, business, you never know it's truest quality until there is a problem, the bigger the better. Thankfully, my problem with the Best Western/Kelly Inn was not large in the scheme of life and it was very reasonably resolved. What happened and how? For those of you who are really careful about choosing an affordable AND excellent hotel, I'm glad you asked :).

The backstory, a situation one hopes never to encounter:
My granddaughter, who attends Hamline University, was taken to the hospital in a life threatening emergency. Her parents live 4 hours away and my daughter was about to have a baby at any moment so it was impossible for her to come to St Paul. Fortunately, I'm retired so I checked Tripadvisor for a place to stay and was on the plane the next day. (Bonus tip: Southwest was fantastic!)

The problem: When I called, I was offered the "hospital rate". At some point, I was told by a person at the desk that the rate I was quoted would start on the 6th night. Perhaps she was new? Having far more important matters to tend to, I only half way heard this and half way thought, "Well, there's something I'll have to straighten out later" and then in the urgencies at hand, I promptly forgot about it. On the 7th morning there was an expedited check out form under the door. This was surprising of itself because I had told the staff that I didn't know when I'd be checking out and had given them no indication I was ready to leave. Perhaps they were just trying to make life easier for me.

I saw that I'd been charged $14 more per night than I'd been quoted.

Hotel problem solving: I have rules for myself about problem solving. Always be respectful, present the facts, ask specifically for what one needs to resolve the issue, and strive for all parties to feel fairly treated. If a satisfactory solution is found, express gratitude. I am delighted to report that I think the management here tries to follow the same rules. The manager gave me the price I had been quoted and allowed that sometimes people misspeak. Were I him, I would do the same thing.

So what else did I love? Every staff member I met seemed to be doing their best to exemplify hospitality professionalism. The rooms, though not fancy, were clean. Housekeeping was given as requested on a card one left for them and did an excellent job. Jessica, Maija, Sheila and Shana in the restaurant were friendly and helpful providing me milk for the coffee in my room every day. (I hate creamer). The cook is quite rare in that he doesn't over salt his food! Yippee! The menu had variety and was delicious. The pool and sauna were clean and lovely. Very important to me, transportation was provided 24/7 to the hospital. It was also available for shopping, restaurants, and to area attractions within 3 miles. The lobby was comfortable. The halls could use updating but were clean. Don't know how often it's done but the windows were washed while I was here. The WiFi never failed to work and was free. The bed was a bit firmer than I like as was the pillow but I'm very picky. The bed and pillows were in excellent condition and were probably fairly new.

I understand that one of the top rated St Paul hotels in Tripadvisor isn't in St Paul so in choosing your hotel watch out for that. This one is within 5 miles of Hamline, St Thomas and MacAllistor, the History Museum is across the street and the Capital and other buildings of State are very close.

Overall, I'd say the value and professionalism of this hotel is outstanding! When my husband and I come back to see our lovely, talented granddaughter whom, thank goodness, is out of danger, we will stay here.

Room Tip: I did fine in room 711 and only found it mildly noisy on a night when there was a concert.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank You for staying with us.Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon. Our shuttle service is not just to the hospital but from 8a-5pm it can go anywhere within a 2-3mile radius

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hastings, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is in walking distance of the Capital. Aso convienient to the History Museum and shopping. The service is at the hotel is above excellent and the food in the restaurant is 5 Star! Beautiful pool area. The staff will go out of their way to help you with whatever you need. An extremely restfull place to stay. Can't wait until the next time I stay there. So refreshing to have excellent customer service from everyone on the staff! The hotel manager was fabulous and helped me with a difficult situation. If you are coming to the St. Paul area this is the hotel you want to stay at!!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be great. We were on the side of the freeway and did not hear a thing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank You again for staying here with us. I'm sure that you probably seen our shuttle parked outside the hotel while you where here and I just wanted to let you know that the shuttle is available Monday to Friday 8a-5pm. The shuttle will run within a 2-3 mile radius of the hotel so feel free to use it when you are here just ask the front desk. Hope to see you again when you're back in town.
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Kelly Inn in St. Paul when we were in town for an NHL game. Our room was on the 6th floor. It was a good size, very clean and comfortably furnished with 2 queen beds, lots of pillows, a desk, 2 chairs, a microwave and a frig. We needed to call for extra blankets as we found a sheet and one blanket rather cool for what proved to be a damp, cold April night. The bonus of the shuttle to the Xcel center was great. Just be sure to get out of the venue in time to catch the first shuttle which holds 10 passengers or I imagine you will have quite a wait as this appears to be a popular hotel for hockey fans. We ate a late lunch in the restaurant and the food was fantastic (beef dip and burger with swiss cheese and bacon). We will definitely consider staying again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for staying with us. We do try our best to make sure that we can get you in a timely matter after the game. Big games like the one that you were here for we often run 2 shuttles. We also run shuttles for MN Swarms and big conventions at the Xcel so make sure to call us if you come back in town.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a concert due to closeness to excel energy center. Hotel is ok, but rooms have so much road noise it was impossible to sleep. My friends thought the window had been left open. Also the room was unbearably hot. The toilet looked like it had not been completely cleaned. Not worth the money due to a lost nights sleep.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked a room at the Kelly Inn due to a meeting at the State Capitol. I was able to check in about an hour before the check in time which was great. The front desk staff person was friendly and helpful. I had a room on the 6th floor away from the highway (because I read to request that in a different review), and unfortunatly due to a snowstorm I heard plows clearning the back parking lots well into the night. The room was smaller, but it met most of my needs. It would have been great to have a work desk, but there was a table with 2 chairs. I couldn't find an outlet to plug in my laptop so I had to unplug a lamp instead. The bathroom was small (low ceiling), but the shower pressure was good and I got hot water right away. Both of my shampoo and conditioner were only half full, so I didn't use them. Good selection of TV channels.

I used the restaurant (Sweetwater) 2 times to get sandwiches to go and both were very good. There is no free breakfast at this hotel. The hotel is within walking distance to the state office building and the capitol.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank You for stay here at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn in St Paul, MN. You are correct we are only a few minutes away from the State Capital. I'm not sure if you walked there when you where here but we do have a free shuttle that can drop you off over there within the time period that our shuttle runs. The Sears side if usually the quieter side because it is just a parking lot but like you said during the winter time if they are plowing it may get a little loud. We do have rooms that will have a desk chair and table so make sure that you ask for one when you do come back here for another meeting. Again Thank You for staying with us!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in summer 2012 and very definitely enjoyed it. Friendly staff and big, clean room.

Location was very convinient as it's right off I-94 and also close to lots of restaurants and stores.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
We are glad that you continue to stay with us here at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn in St Paul, MN. We are only 9 blocks away from downtown St Paul right off of I94 and Kellogg Blvd so it is just a quick walk downtown or if you are with the time period of our shuttle Mon-Fri 8am-5pm we can certainly drop you off somewhere in downtown. Make sure to join us in the restaurant during Happy hour because the appetizers are %50 off.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have now stayed at the Kelly Inn, Best Western St. Paul for 8 years now. We have a group of 10-13 rooms each year and the friendly staff keeps us coming back. Management was very accommodating with the requests that we had and make the tradition of the H.S. hockey tournament an even more special one for our family. The shuttle team getting us to the games was exceptionally great this year. We can't wait for next to come around. The staff in the restaurant is great and puts up with a lot of us at one time, so great job to them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank You Matt for coming back every year to the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn in St Paul. We enjoy having all the teams here in St Paul and hope that you will come back even if not during the H S hockey tournament. Our normal shuttle hours are from Mon-Fri 8a-5p but for special events happening at the Xcel we will always extend our shuttle hours. We also supply free shuttle to the Xcel for Wild games.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn? Share your experiences!