“Indifferent Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Roseville
Rural Northern Minnesota
“Indifferent Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn during the Minnesota State Fair as they (among many hotels in the area) offered a package that included a shuttle to the fair. The room was spacious and the kitchen would have been nice to have on a longer stay (but was not important for us on this stay since we enjoyed so many Pronto Pups and mini donuts at the fair). The grounds were nice with a cute little courtyard in the middle. However, the lousy service we received would prevent me from ever booking there again. When we arrived for check in, the desk attendant worked on her computer for an awkward 3 or 4 minutes without looking up to even acknowledge us (meanwhile another fellow was working in the area behind her, seeming to want to avoid noticing the forming line, too). When she finally did look up, she looked right beyond me to the fellow standing behind me, who politely told her I was obviously there first. Now seeing a line 5 or 6 deep, she rushed through my arrangements. I requested a shuttle to the fair and set up departure for 45 minutes away. When we came back down about 35 minutes later, I asked her where to stand for the shuttle. She said outside. We waited out there about 15 minutes beyond the appointed 45 minute time and saw the shuttle zooming by twice. I went in to inquire if he was running behind or why he didn't stop for us. She told me to wait a little more. We waited another 15 minutes before my husband went in to make another attempt and suddenly she realized she had never booked the shuttle, nor could she as she never actually checked us in (I had wondered why she didn't swipe my credit card upon arrival). I understand mistakes can be made, but wonder why it took 4 communications with her to simply get a shuttle, and she didn't think that merited a simple "I'm sorry." However, once we got that squared away, we were shuttled to and from the fair by a great guy. He even gave us his cell phone number for our pick up, and was most pleasant to chat with. He was fanstatic! Unfortunately, he was the only redeeming one. We encountered more of the same indifference at breakfast, where we found a few apples, some dried up instant eggs, the most watery, horrible oatmeal substance I've ever tasted, and some dry cereal (the French toast, biscuits and gravy, and other good items were long gone, and the crowd of about 25 of us milling around were rather rudely told there would be no more). And just for the record, there was about 2 hours left of the appointed breakfast time, it's not like we were there in the last 15 minutes. I love trips and hotels, and have stayed in really high buck places as well as many $40 roadside rooms with no complaints. This one though was one was somewhat overpriced for the quality of the room, but it was really the staff ensured I will never book there again, especially provided the multitude of options in the Cities. P.S. I sent a review to the hotel summarizing this experience and here it is two full months later and I have heard nothing from them, so I suspect their indifference goes from the top down.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the customer site I was visiting. There isn't much around the hotel, nothing within walking distance anyway. St. Paul is very close so it's not a big deal to drive wherever you need to go and Minneapolis isn't that far either.
The hotel itself is a typical Residence Inn. Good breakfast, decent internet, nice rooms, comfortable bed. I was disappointed in the small TV's. Guess I'm spoiled....
The gym was a little small, but had a great set of dumbbells up to 50 lb. along with a bench.
My only complaint was the noise from the shower in the room above me. The noise from the plumbing actually woke me up when someone decided to take a long shower at 10:00pm. I can usually hear a little noise from plumbing, but this was ridiculous. I had a 2 bedroom suite and almost moved to the other bedroom. I would have if I stayed more than one night, or would have asked for another room. I told the front desk but I don't think there's anything they can do other than give you another room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Clonmel, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed here for a month with some work colleagues and cannot fault the place. The staff are wonderfully friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The apartments/suites are a nice size and are well equipped. The location however, is a big minus for me. You simply need a car.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I was here for school for two weeks and while it is a pricier hotel, the service was great!

PROS:
+ free grocery service (before 8AM)
+ free shuttle service (within 5 miles)
+ free dinners (Mon-Wed)
+ great breakfasts (more than just your continental)
+ spacious rooms
+ one Ethernet port but provides free wireless routers if needed
+ great staff
+ near Enterprise rental (they pick you up!)

CONS
- older TVs. Preferred LCDs that can plug computer in
- only one Ethernet if you more than one laptop don't have wireless
- shuttle is shared between two hotels

Otherwise, I would highly recommend for long stays.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We have stayed in many Residence Inns and this one is about average. We thought that the staff at this one was cordial and went out of their way to be helpful. This is a definite plus for this hotel. Everything was well maintained at the hotel. The laundry was clean although a few dryers seemed to be old. The breakfast was good but not remarkable. All in all, it was a good value and we would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks with my husband and four-year-old daughter while I attended graduate classes at Bethel University. The hotel met our family needs. We needed a place to prepare food, fridge, and all that jazz! It was well provided in these suites. The staff was friendly and greeted you each time you returned. The breakfast is more than anyone could eat --- plenty of food! Coffee to go --- was good for me. Internet was okay -- not exactly speedy, but it met our needs. The pool was fine - nothing too exciting, but it worked. It was clean, it was taken care of, and our daughter enjoyed it. The hotel was overall clean. The elevator could use replacement of the carpet and a little cleaning. We will likely stay here again next summer. We picked this b/c the hotel offers a shuttle, so my husband and daughter could keep the car while I went to class. The price was okay. I was shocked when I checked in (I had request online in my reservation for late check out) and the gentlemen said it would be no problem for us to check out late on the day we left for just half the cost of a night. We ended up not needing late check out, but the fast that they would actually charge me half a night if we did need to check out at 4pm was not reasonable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Lochem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

This hotel is perfect for leisure; nice spacious suites, nice lay out and with a lot of activity.
The suite-kitchen is good and well equipped, the suite is nice too. The hotel staff is friendly and helpfull.

The hotel is very, very noisy. People were running around until 1 AM and kids started to run at 6 AM, because of the wooden floors and the poor construction of the hotel, I could hear every sound.
Cleaning really needs to improve, some areas haven't seen a vacuum cleaner in years! This gives the hotel a less inviting appearance. The rooms are spacous and good. Again a vacuum would help, but the bedding is good and the bathroom nice and clean too.
The internet is plain lousy, very, very slow and there is only wireless in the lobby. Although there is wireless in the lobby, there is no way you can work there. There is always a lot of people hanging around, having fun etc (there was a birthday party going on!). The included breakfast is basic, as you may expect and is complete with juice, basic fruit, breads and juices. Still, there are so many people in the lobby/breakfast area, there is no way you can have your food there.

This is a nice place to stay, for leisure only. Not for business.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Minneapolis St. Paul/Roseville? Share your experiences!