“Great front desk service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Enjoy breakfast for two!
Ranked #22 of 53 hotels in Rochester
south dakota
“Great front desk service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

During a recent visit, I forgot my Kindle charger and was looking at a long day of waiting around for medical tests without anything to read. I asked front desk personnel if perhaps someone had forgotten a charger in a room that I could use. No luck. However, one of the front desk people offered to charge it from a computer, and in just a couple of hours I had a completely charged Kindle! Thank you for great service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Glad we could help charge your Kindle. Thanks for staying at the Kahler Grand.

721 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Two nights spent in a very small and very dated room with rattling heater, hard bed, and tepid rather than hot water have me wondering if my fellow reviewers stayed in the same hotel they raved about! Yes, the rate was very good, the staff friendly, and the location the best. However, on business the measure is comfort, functionality, and quiet of the room--and all three were substandard. Spend a few dollars more to lodge elsewhere until this hotel again lives up to its name.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
We can only try to meet up to everyone's expectations. Please do know that we are always trying to improve and become the hotel that will only get better and better. I hope you will check back and see the improvements the next time you are in town. Thank you for helping us.
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The Kahler was the perfect choice of hotels for our visit to Rochester. It is conveniently located in downtown Rochester with easy access to The Mayo Clinic. Before my surgery my husband and I enjoyed the ease of the walkways with convenient indoor access across streets. After my surgery we enjoyed the convenience of the subway walkways and close location to Rochester Methodist. When I returned to the hotel post-operatively I was put at ease by knowing there were nurses available and at hand if needed. In addition, my stay was made even better by the room service staff. The day I got out of the hospital and returned to The Kahler with my husband was my birthday. Part of our room special that we selected for the weekend was a free movie and pizza. When the pizza came to the room it smelled amazing. However they had it all set up so I was able to sit at the table they brought in with my husband and have a fancy dinner. It was lovely. I highly recommend The Kahler.

• Stayed October 2013
Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Thank you for choosing the Kahler Grand.
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The room was exactly what I expected, they were spotless. The bed was very comfortable and I am picky. The bathroom was a little outdated, but did the job! The location was very convenient and it was nice to go downstairs to get to my conference or get some frozen yogurt in the shopping area on the subway level. If you do want to go shopping, make sure you do it before 6pm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kahler Grand. Lots of shopping to be done here. We hope you had the time to fit it in. Oh and yes the frozen yogurt is really good.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was staying in Rochester for a conference and decided to try the independent hotel instead of the two blocks offered. I opted for an efficiency room and saved about 40% off the block rate. The efficiency rooms are small, but after spending 12 hours at the conference and going out with colleagues afterward, I didn't require much more than a bed and a shower. The room was tidy, the bed comfortable and the shower hot and I was able to open the window which is always a nice feature in a hotel!!!

The hotel is connected to the hospital and convention center by the city sky way. The shops at University are adjacent with great coffee shop and restaurant options (Bravo Espresso and Salad Brothers for amazing, quick, home-made breakfast and lunch) and the coolest Barnes and Noble store I've ever seen.

The staff was super friendly and helpful, this is a full service staff though I am not accustomed to having my bags carried and did not use them. All interaction with staff was excellent.

I like older, historic sites and this hotel is a maze of corridors and seemingly redundant elevators. I never did make it over to the pool or workout facility or the on site restaurant, but there are many options just a few minutes walk away for dining.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Great to hear about your experience. Thanks for spreading the word.
Ames, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Fantastic service which really helped my husband and I navigate the area and Mayo. They really went out of their way to help. We chose the king deluxe room on the advice of the reservation person and so glad we did. The room was what I'd call normal size for a hotel room; the regular rooms would have been way too small. All very clean. We'll be back because of the excellent service - especially the bell hop!

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room size.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. We will pass them on to the Bell staff.
Rapid City, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed in hotel for three nights on a business trip. Hotel is historic and my room was in need of an update, but it was clean and room was quiet. Would have given hotel a higher rating if not for the following: doorman Vern refused to let me use a cart to take items to room myself even though a different staff member told me I could do (not friendly), shower temp went from very cold to burning hot and back and forth, bottom bed sheet had a tear in it. A huge plus for hotel is Holly in reservations who helped make room arrangements and fix a room error that was not the fault of hotel. She is extremely friendly, helpful and I give her 5 stars. Hotel is across the street from Mayo Clinic which is very convenient and there are several good places to eat in the hotel and within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for detailing your stay with us at the Kahler Grand. We use this information daily to get better at everything we do. We really do appreciate guests like you, who help in getting us there.

Been to Kahler Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!