“Nice Hotel, very convenient” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 South-West Second Ave., Rochester, MN 55902-3013   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #32 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Ames, Iowa
“Nice Hotel, very convenient”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The room was exactly what I expected, they were spotless. The bed was very comfortable and I am picky. The bathroom was a little outdated, but did the job! The location was very convenient and it was nice to go downstairs to get to my conference or get some frozen yogurt in the shopping area on the subway level. If you do want to go shopping, make sure you do it before 6pm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kahler Grand. Lots of shopping to be done here. We hope you had the time to fit it in. Oh and yes the frozen yogurt is really good.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was staying in Rochester for a conference and decided to try the independent hotel instead of the two blocks offered. I opted for an efficiency room and saved about 40% off the block rate. The efficiency rooms are small, but after spending 12 hours at the conference and going out with colleagues afterward, I didn't require much more than a bed and a shower. The room was tidy, the bed comfortable and the shower hot and I was able to open the window which is always a nice feature in a hotel!!!

The hotel is connected to the hospital and convention center by the city sky way. The shops at University are adjacent with great coffee shop and restaurant options (Bravo Espresso and Salad Brothers for amazing, quick, home-made breakfast and lunch) and the coolest Barnes and Noble store I've ever seen.

The staff was super friendly and helpful, this is a full service staff though I am not accustomed to having my bags carried and did not use them. All interaction with staff was excellent.

I like older, historic sites and this hotel is a maze of corridors and seemingly redundant elevators. I never did make it over to the pool or workout facility or the on site restaurant, but there are many options just a few minutes walk away for dining.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Great to hear about your experience. Thanks for spreading the word.
Ames, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Fantastic service which really helped my husband and I navigate the area and Mayo. They really went out of their way to help. We chose the king deluxe room on the advice of the reservation person and so glad we did. The room was what I'd call normal size for a hotel room; the regular rooms would have been way too small. All very clean. We'll be back because of the excellent service - especially the bell hop!

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room size.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. We will pass them on to the Bell staff.
Rapid City, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed in hotel for three nights on a business trip. Hotel is historic and my room was in need of an update, but it was clean and room was quiet. Would have given hotel a higher rating if not for the following: doorman Vern refused to let me use a cart to take items to room myself even though a different staff member told me I could do (not friendly), shower temp went from very cold to burning hot and back and forth, bottom bed sheet had a tear in it. A huge plus for hotel is Holly in reservations who helped make room arrangements and fix a room error that was not the fault of hotel. She is extremely friendly, helpful and I give her 5 stars. Hotel is across the street from Mayo Clinic which is very convenient and there are several good places to eat in the hotel and within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for detailing your stay with us at the Kahler Grand. We use this information daily to get better at everything we do. We really do appreciate guests like you, who help in getting us there.
Lomira, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently attended a conference at the Kahler Grand Hotel in Rochester, MN. I knew that this facility had a lot of history to it, so wasn't quite sure what to expect upon arrival. I would say that the rooms were very clean and the bathrooms, while aging, were also very clean. The staff at the facility restaurants, bars and front desk were among the friendliest I have ever encountered!

The food that we had during the conference, as well as on our own at a facility restaurant, was really very good.

If considering a stay in Rochester, either for fun or for medical reasons, I would highly recommend the Kahler Grand! They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: The room that I had faced one of the hospitals and it was definitely quiet! I can't offer any m...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks. We like that you are spreading the word about our hotel and our many great amenities when you are attending a conference or whatever may bring you to Rochester. We definitely are in the center of it all....
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during my business visit to the Mayo clinic. It is in excellent location, just across the street from the Mayo clinic. Nice rooms in different price range, but overall reasonably priced. Nice breakfast, also priced reasonably. There are multiple nice restaurants within walking distance. Staff is very friendly. This is not luxurious place, but overall, it is very convenient, nice and reasonable place to stay for Mayo clinic visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks about the Kahler Grand. We hope you will stay with us again if you are back in the area.
Washington, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The front desk was very attentive and helpful especially Olivia! The room was nice but could be updated. Everything was very clean and it was right across from the Mayo Clinic. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know. We will be sure to let Olivia know that she is awesome.

Been to Kahler Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!