“The Best in Rochester” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Rochester
panzano-in-chianti
“The Best in Rochester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I have had more than a few opportunities to visit this hotel in the past year and a half that my husband has been a patient at the mayo clinic, and I've also recommended it to friends and family -- and have only the highest praise for the hotel and staff......first of all, it is the only hotel in town with a sleek, clean, ultra modern decor (everywhere else, including the marriott and the kahler's international has dusty old carpet and drapes and that old mildew smell ) ...in addition, the Doubletree's guest rooms are exceptionally bright and well maintained + top of the linebeds.... and if that isnt enough it is home to the best restaurant in town (Pescara), has its own Starbucks and skyway access to the Gallerie Mall and the Clinic, meaning you are steps away from the most sophisticated shopping in town + Barnes & Noble ......in short, I usually choose ahotels by their rates, reasoning the best is always the most expensive, but in this case, and I've tried them all, the Doubletree is the best in town

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear shelleydipanzano ~ Thank you very much for your kind words about our Doubletree in Rochester, MN. Our local owner and all of our staff take much pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of our hotel. We are always striving to be the best hotel in Rochester. I will also make sure to pass along your positive comments to Pescara. They have won many awards in Rochester and we also feel that they are the best restaurant. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you when you return.
Deb Knox ~ Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

My experience at the Doubletree in Rochester MN was miserable. I chose the hotel to stay with my parents while being seen at the Mayo Clinic. After a disagreement with a hotel staff member over items they threw away after we moved from one room to another, I was irritated but I thought that was the end of it. About 20 minutes later, I got an email notification from Hilton that the email address on my HHonors account had changed. When I signed in, I saw that my email had been changed to a fake email address, so it was obviously done by a staff member (presumably the same person who had been rude to use before, a man named Nick). That night, I got two wake up calls in the middle of the night, the second of which was at 3 AM. I never request wake up calls, and since the caller was so professional, I assumed that I had been set up for wake up calls just to irritate me. When I called the front desk to ask that no more wake up calls be made to my room, I was told that the calls didn't come from the front desk, but from another room within the hotel that he was not able to trace.

At a reasonable hour in the morning, I called the manager, Mike Smith, to complain about the situation. He had the gall to deny that any wake up calls were ever made to my room and told me that I was "blowing it way out of proportion." In fact, instead of offering to look into the situation or offering any remedy, he suggested that we leave and stay at another hotel, even though the Doubletree only had about 35 rooms occupied and was mostly empty. That of course, we did immediately.

In summary, there is at least one vengeful jerk currently working at this hotel. If you run into any problems, don't expect any help or consolation from the general manager. Would you really want to pay to be treated this way? Definitely don't consider staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear akubesch ~ Thank you very much for your posting and constructive criticism. I understand that our management team was aware of your concerns. We were unable to reach a mutual agreement for these concerns due to some hotel policies and also that your issues were not resolved as quickly as you hoped due to the holiday. I am sorry that the situations were not resolved to your satisfaction. I am glad to hear that you were able to find accommodations at another hotel in Rochester. I think this course of action was a good fit for both our hotel and for your stay. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Rochester area. Again, I am sorry that our hotel was not the best fit for your stay in Rochester. Thank you again for your feedback.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I just stated that this hotel rates number one for me in my travels around the world....and it does.
Is it the fanciest hotel with the most "out of this world" amenities? Nope.
Here's what it has...(and this is worth more than anything else when you are traveling)...
It has a staff, from management to housekeeping that are friendly, informed, know their guests by name and go BEYOND THAT EXTRA MILE to make sure every guest is satisfied.
I've stayed at this hotel three times already while visiting the Mayo Clinic as a patient and will be staying there again. (Have stayed at other hotels close to Mayo, most of which are VERY disappointing by the way).

Why would you want to stay at the Doubletree?

1. Clean, comfortable rooms with a choice of pillows and a great mattress, soft sheets and wonderful room temperature control that make for a great nights sleep.
2. Nice amenities such as a flat screen tv, wireless internet (FREE) in your room that won't slow you down as many hotel networks will do. Also the expected bath products and robes on the higher floors and a choice of paying a bit extra for included breakfast and evening snacks (with meals and snacks that are worth eating, varied menus, well done)!
There is also an in room refrigerator and microwave that often comes in handy!
3. Great location just two blocks from the main Mayo Clinic buildings, indoor walkways to get to Mayo if you don't want to go out in the cold MN weather and also a very nice car available to take you anywhere nearby you should need to go.

Of course these are all things that I EXPECT from the hotels I stay at (though you'd be surprised how often you don't get even the above list). So why is this hotel rated tops for me?

1. During a very very cold spell while traveling with my service dog the hotel staff took him out regularly for me and I could tell he adored them so they weren't just "dragging him outside"!
2. When the inevitable noise issue arose during one stay, manager Brendan was on top of it immediately and made sure to personally apologize to any and all guests who may have been inconvenienced.
3. Have a problem with anything in your room? One phone call and it's taken care of quickly and to your complete satisfaction.
4. Excellent room service with special requests not a problem (they seem to understand that their proximity to Mayo Clinic means special dietary requirements might be common)
5. I had a severe headache one night and needed a bit of help with some medication...my husband was in disbelief that the hotel had someone help me immediately, no charge!

These employees will know your name, they'll treat you well, they'll make it a little less difficult to be away from home and THAT is truly a rarity in the hotel industry, especially for a non luxury big city boutique hotel.

If you're visiting Mayo Clinic, or just visiting Rochester your best bet is to stay at the Doubletree and say hello to Brendan (hotel manager) who'll make sure you have everything you need.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Summitny ~ Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Doubletree in Rochester, MN. We pride ourselves on being ranked number 4 out of all Doubletrees in Customer Service and are reaching high to get to the number one spot. This will come from giving our guests the best customer service possible. I am glad that you got to experience this and we look forward to your return!
Thank you again for your kind remarks.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I stayed here for the Mayo Cardiology course. I was alone, and actually not feeling well with a bad cold at the time. The hotel staff is incredibly friendly. They greeted me the moment I walked in, and were a pleasure to deal with. Such a friendly place. The room was clean, quiet, and very comfortable. I slept very well. The location is unbeatable if you're attending any functions at Mayo. Everything is connected via Skyway, and is within walking distance. Great value for a great hotel. The staff alone make this place top notch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Dear DrRhythm ~ Thank you very much for your kind posting about our Doubletree. Besides our great furnishings within the hotel, our people are the key to making our hotel great. It all starts with our General Manager and continues from there through to our staff.
We look forward to seeing you again next year at the Cardiology conference.
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

This is a nice hotel, as are all Doubletrees but I would not stay again because of two things. The wireless is unusable, both in our rooms and in the lobby restaurant. It constantly cuts out. We have so many devices now that require wireless that dependable wireless is essential now. Also the hotel has the oddest design of having you walked through a very narrow convention area hallway to get from the room elevators to parking garage. This means if there is a meeting going on (for us on year it was a wedding and this year it was an orthopedic convention) you have to squiggle through a big crowd just to get to your car. It is a very uncomfortable position to be trying to work through a wedding party when you are in jeans.

Everything else about this hotel is great-Friendly staff, clean, nice rooms. There is a walkway to a nice little mall with the most unique Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

One more thing, it has a fabulous fitness center.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear kayannl ~
Thank you very much for your posting about the Doubletree Hotel. We do appreciate the feedback that you gave us and I have sent this information over to our Chief Engineer and our General Manager to see if there is anything that they can do about the wireless connection.
For the meeting space, yes, we were very business during the time of your stay. I hope you will try our hotel again and we can show you an easier way to get to the parking ramp elevators.
Thank you again for your comments.
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Very helpful staff, knowledgeable about the area. Rooms large and clean. Mayo, mall, shops are all accessible via skybridges and subways (no need to go out in the Minnesota winter). Free wireless. Parking in attached garage is $14. Warm cookie was a great touch.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear LennyG ~ Thank you very much for your posting about our Doubletree Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in Rochester, MN.
Saint Augustine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

We stayed here to go to the Mayo Clinic, it is an easy walk, inside walkways the whole way, or on the street....clean, comfy beds, nice pillows, friendly staff. Town car to take you to and from the hospital, or the mall, is a great bonus. Wonderful pool, and well appointed hotel overall. We stayed on the executive suite level, for just a few dollars more, and it came with free breakfast, and nightly snacks. Starbucks on level two of the hotel...
We will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear auggirl ~ Thank you very much for your kind comments about the Doubletree. We are very proud of our customer service levels that we have been able to give our guests. We are currently ranked number 4 in customer service out of all Doubletrees in the nation.
Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.
Deb Knox

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area? Share your experiences!