“Great location, good hotel, but noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #20 of 53 hotels in Rochester
“Great location, good hotel, but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend and overall, we were very happy with our experience. We were however, not very pleased with the noise level in the hotel. We were traveling with an infant child who goes to sleep fairly early and was being disturbed by the noise coming from the pool area. Even though we were on the 7th floor of the hotel, the noise from the pool was enough to keep the baby awake.

The remainder of the stay was very pleasant and the location of the hotel was great. Overall, the room was excellent as well.

If we were traveling to Rochester again, I would definitely stay here again, but I would request a room on the outside of the building to avoid the noise from the pool.

Room Tip: Request a room on the outside of the building.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bill S, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Mkienbaum,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay at the Rochester Marriott, 101 1st Ave SW, Rochester MN. I am sorry about the noise level that comes from the pool area. I do understand when you are traveling with a baby how trying that can be for them. Again thank you for your feedback about the staff and I hope to serve you again in the future.

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Wanted a nice weekend getaway and got a great place to stay in the Rochester Marriott. The valet was nice and reasonably priced. The room was very clean and comfy. After bringing our bags to the room we had a drink at the bar and got some good recommendations of where to eat dinner from the bar tender. As a side note the wine list is quite nice at the hotel, possibly one of the better ones in the area for those into wine. Overall a very nice experience and stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill S, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear RyanC75,

Thank you for posting your comments about the Rochester Marriott, 101 1st ave SW, Rochester, MN. I am glad the staff met your needs during your weekend getaway. Just as a side note our Wine selection is now larger then before during your visit.

Champlin, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Reviews are based on a medical trip, not romance.

GOOD
This hotel is beautiful, modern, and very close to the Mayo system. The staff are friendly and went out of their way to make our stay pleasing. This hotel is attached to the subway and is the closest hotel to Mayo and just a block and half from Methodist.

The beds are PURE which is an allergen free brand and also uses duvets instead of comforters. The room was spotless and our housekeeper cleaned the room top to bottom every day even though I told her she didnt have to.

We ordered room service. It was expensive, good and on time.

BAD
The king room had a microwave but no frig (they brought one when I asked) and also the bathroom and closet are awkward. Both doors cant be open at the same time.

UGLY
This by far, the most expensive hotel downtown.

Room Tip: We had an inner room (722), close to the elevator and with an atrium view to the inside pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chickwithastamp,

Thank you for your posting about your stay at the Rochester Marriott, 101 1st Ave. SW, Rochester, MN. I am glad you enjoyed the PURE room. These rooms were installed for our guests back in 2011. They are very new to hotels and we are seeing increased demand for this toe of hotel room for our guests who are visiting Mayo Clinic.

Again thank you for your posting and look forward to serving in the future.

Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When choosing a hotel to stay at while using the Mayo, comfort and location were the top 2 criteria. Exceeding expectations on both. The staff was exceptional. We were upgraded to hypoallergenic PURE room to accommodate wanting adjoining rooms, which made it helpful to take care of my dad post-surgery. The valet even turned on the heated seats when he brought the car around. He also took care of returning a wheelchair for us. Wish it would have cost a bit less, but the package was well worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear wintertraveler7

Thank you for posting your comments bout your stay t the Rochester Marriott, 101 1st Ave. SW, Rochester, MN. I am glad you enjoyed the PURE room. They meet our guests needs who are visiting Mayo Clinic. I am glad to see that our staff also met your needs during your stay.

I look forward to serving you in the future.

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

There was 8 women staying at the hotel for the weekend. We asked at the front desk to get adjoining rooms. We got one room with 2 queen size plush beds, then they gave us a parlor room suite with a full size living room,with a hide-a-bed, then they gave us two roll aways to sleep the other 2 women on. Not the fold up camping like folded metal miserable night sleep roll away!!! A twin size bed on wheels!! very nice!! Thank you Tiffany and Tiffany!! We had the valet Matt take care of us and park our cars! Well worth the $2.00 extra dollars, and he helped with all the luggage for us too!!:} We loved being able to walk every where! Of course most of the skyway shopping was closed on the weekend, my sister-in-laws were a little disappointed in that. The rooms were very clean, even under the pull out! I checked. We had lots of towels and extra pillows and blankets given to us to use. The house keeper was very helpful and friendly. Thanks to all the smiling staff that made eye contact and helped each day. Cheers Kim

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is very functional, clean, and the employees are helpful, bright and cheerful. The beds, as advertised, are heavenly. It is only steps away from the Mayo Clinic and Methodist hospital, making it a convenient place to stay for patients, visiting medical personnel in town for a conference, meeting, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Marshalltown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Rochester Marriott for 3 nights while attending a conference at Mayo Clinic. The hotel is right in the heart of downtown Rochester---close to Mayo Clinic, shopping, restaurants and Methodist and St. Mary's hospitals. The hotel is connected to the clinic via the underground "subway" system. The "subway" is not a train--but a series of underground tunnels/walkways that are connected to Mayo, restaurants, shopping, etc. Rochester also has an extensive skywalk system, so the need to go outside when it's cold or rainy is eliminated in many cases!
The hotel room had a king bed, sofa and armchair, as well as a desk/office chair work area. small refrigerator, and a large flat screen tv, that had a slight fuzzy reception, but not horrible! The bathroom was large, but the layout was strange. A large vanity/mirror with no sink was in the bathroom with the toilet and shower/tub combo. The actual sink area was very small and cramped and located outside of the "bathroom". I was traveling alone, so it was no problem, but if multiple people were trying to use this area, it would be awkward as the closet space was located directly behind the sink area and if the bathroom door was open, you could not access the closet without shutting the bathroom door and asking the person using the sink to move.
Room was clean and comfortable. There were 3 holes in the wall where I assume a picture once hung, but had not been filled in, which was bit distracting, but again not horrible.
I ate one meal at the hotel restaurant, DEN. After eating at other Rochester, restaurants, for the price of the meal, I would not eat there again. It was edible--but nothing memorable or special. There is an adjacent lounge/bar area. Relatively expensive in my opinion, compared to other places in the area ($13 for 1 glass of wine!). I would recommend Whiskey Creek or Chester's Kitchen--both great restaurants that I had the pleasure to dine at!
They have Valet parking. If you choose not to use the valet service, guests need to park in the Kahler hotel parking ramp across the street/mall area from the Marriott. Valet parking was $17/day compared to $12 at the Kahler ramp. I chose valet for the convenience, but did have problems on my first morning with valet service. Requested car to be at front door at 5:30 a.m. as I wanted to go to an area gym of which I am a member in my hometown and work out prior to conference starting that morning. Car was not delivered as promised and had to wait 15 minutes for the hotel security guard to retrieve my car. There is a gym on site and looked to be well equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, etc. There is also a very nice pool/hot tub area on the 3rd floor.
Wi-fi available in hotel rooms for $9.95/day. For the room rate that I was paying, I would think that this could be a free service. This seems to be standard practice at most hotel chains I stay at--but still irritates me! There were two computers for guest use with internet access in the hotel lobby, but one was out of service the 3 days that I was a guest.
Overall, even though there were some small issues with holes in the wall, internet connectivity and valet parking, I would stay at the Marriott again for the convenience and proximity to Mayo and downtown Rochester.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area? Share your experiences!