“Must have been a bad day for them.......” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Rochester

You added Clarion Inn Rochester to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Rochester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1630 South Broadway, Rochester, MN 55904 (Formerly Holiday Inn Rochester South)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 55 Hotels in Rochester
wisconsin
“Must have been a bad day for them.......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I had been driving close to 6 hrs, with about 75 miles to go, on a trip that normally takes about 5.5 hrs. There was heavy snow and wind the day before, roads were pretty bad. From La Crosse to Rochester was white knuckle driving, and 52 north was supposed to be worse. So, we decided it was time to stop, get a room, and hope conditions were better in the morning. We stopped at a sister establishment to the Clarion first, they were sold out due to a sporting activity in town, and becuase many people stayed extra day because of aforementioned driving conditions.

We called a competitor, they were sold out, then called the Clarion, they said they had a room available, 2 double beds for $109.99 a night. I requested they hold it, would be there in a couple minutes. I made it, gave them my info, presented my Choice Priveledges card and my AARP card, and checked in. Room rate did not change, no discounts. Clerk said "not tonight". I cant say the staff was rude, but they werent friendly. I chalked that up to a busy night, and I wasnt there to make friends, just needed a place to sack out, so no big deal. We were tired and needed a room. Instead of a double room, we got a king size bed room, non smoking. Thats ok, double bed, king bed, no difference as far as we were concerned. We went out to eat, came back and accessed our room. Parking lot was crowded, had to trudge through snow and ice, no fault of estblishment, its Minnesota, its February, and you do get snow here!

The room reeked. Smoke odor was intense. My wife found ashes in the stool as well as a dirty rag hanging from the shower bar. However, as we were led to believe we had limited options when we checked in, we elected to just accept what we had and be grateful. However, I did think it would be prudent to at least notify the front desk so we wouldnt get blamed for the odor. Well, people were checking in, and I got tired of waiting around, figured I would let the desk clerk know in AM when we checked out. However, I was waiting long enough to overhear a walk in get quoted $85.99 a night.

Sure am curious why we didnt get that choice. Maybe the Choice priveledges card means "their choice and my priveledge" to stay with their chain.

Didnt sleep well, had a bad neighbor who was yelling at someone in her room until after 1:30 AM. Not the hotel's fault, but it seemed about par. However, the room we stayed in was located at the end near a staircase, with the room opening into the pool area. Lots of noise and activity into the wee hours. Again, I figured there were limited options available, and I should be grateful......except for the fact that someone who came later was offered a less expensive room, and when we checked in, we told the desk clerk we only needed a place to stay until road conditions improved.

Bottom line, I have always had positive results with this chain, and try to utilize them exclusively as I have their Choice Priveledges card. However, I am thinking that maybe loyalty is a one way street here. No AARP discount, no choice as to room or rate when clearly both choices were available, non smoking room that reeked with smoke.

My only choice here, then, is whether I give this 1 or 2 stars. I guess I have a "Choice" after all..........I have stayed in worse places, so, 2 stars. But this is a close call.

Room Tip: Consider the noise level if you get a room that opens into the pool area.........lots of traffic fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sweetwater, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We came to Rochester to go to Mayo Clinic. We called and they promptly sent a shuttle to pick us up at the airport. The shuttle drivers were very nice. The room was clean and comfortable. The pool and hot tub were nice. The free breakfast was decent and included scrambled eggs, hash browns, cereal, fruit, yogurt, donuts, muffins, and juice and milk. The shuttle service to and from Mayo Clinic and airport was excellent. The shuttle drivers would even take you to a restaurant for supper or Walmart to grab a few items if you asked. The service was always free. And the drivers were nice and courteous. The day we were to fly home they took us to airport and when our flight was cancelled for weather they came back and picked us back up, took us back yo hotel, and even gave us an extra discount on our room because of the circumstances. Overall this is a very good place to stay with clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and great shuttle service. The only thing I could say could improve is they have a walkway connecting two buildings so you can get to pool area but that walkway is freezing cold and doesn't feel to good when you are soaking wet going back to your room. I will definitely stay here again next time I am in Rochester!

Stayed January 2014
Denver, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Since my last review, we have stayed here again and were pleased to see that more improvements have been made to the rooms (even the smoking rooms). We had new carpet in the room. It seems to be a work in progress however even outside the parking lot had been repaired. Had a new heater/air conditioner unit. So am optimistic that these improvements will continue. I will agree with other reviewers that the pool area is pretty cold to be in during the Winter months. Noticed that they do have a new shuttle van. Dinner was great as usual however we still wish it was served in the dining room instead of lounge area. We do like the coffee pot, micro, frig (at no charge) that is still offered and that they do continue to have a few smoking rooms left at the motel. As far as the front desk is concerned, we have had both very pleasant people and others that probably shouldn't be in that field of work.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Elgin, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I brought our kids to this hotel to let them be able to swim and just something different for the New Year Eve celebration. Our kids thought the pool was ok, they liked the sauna, but the hot tub was terrible. There were 6 little kids in it when we wanted to go in and when we did get in, the water was luke warm. We didn't feel comfortable at all staying in it so got out and went back to our room and took a shower. When we first called about the room we were told one price and when I called back 5 minutes later the price had increased. They included 2 tickets for my wife and myself to listen to a band in there entertainment room. The band took such long breaks that we were glad we didn't pay extra. The room was clean, the staff was nice and very friendly. But the worst part of the whole hotel experience would have to be their buffet breakfast. The eggs were rock hard as well as the muffins. The milk and juice were warm and the hashbrowns were mushy. We ended up taking our family else where to grab a bite to eat. there were 2 other tables eating maybe they should consider getting a waffle maker and letting people serve themselves and taking orders for eggs etc. We would have been fine waiting a little bit for edible food. Would i go back again, only if it was cheaper than what we paid and we would definitely skip breakfast unless they change what they now have.

Room Tip: We were put in the other buildin farther away, I would not recommend that especially in the winter a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Golden Valley, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The tub was full of spackle. They updated the sink but forgot about the rest of the room. Dogs running loose in community area. Windows need updating (weatherwise). Possible mold in bathroom. Personnel were none too friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Solon Springs, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Rooms were tight. stayed in December. Bed sheets were used instead of a bed spread, SAD. Very noisy heater in room. Pool area clean and nice but to cold around the pool so not comfortable to use. hallways cold. Nice lounge with friendly staff. Can't say that about the front desk, that's if you could get there attention sitting in the back room with a cell phone. Come to Mayo often and thought we would try something different. Won't be back
'

Room Tip: If it winter make sure your inside and not with outside room entry
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had a 10 day stay in a suite (at a terrific Mayo rate) that consisted of a bedroom with 2 double beds and a separate room with table, chairs, microwave, coffee maker, fridge and sink. The arrangement was terrific so that sleep and other activities could be divided between the rooms (both had TV's ). We found it quiet despite a conference that included a lot of teens in 120 rooms. We had to be at Mayo early each day and had a car so we would drive around the motel (we were situated in the back corner) and caught the shuttle to avoid downtown traffic and parking fees (if we had NO car, we'd have had a long walk). The shuttle drivers were very helpful and friendly for the 12 minute trip each way. The laundry was handy although we had some problems with the coin mechanism that the maintenance personnel fixed promptly. We did not use the free breakfast coupons nor did we dine in the attached restaurant as we were tired evenings and chose to just pick up some takeout and eat or snack in the room from. The only negatives were some stains on the dining area chairs and overloaded WiFi. I'd rate it 4 stars.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn Rochester? Share your experiences!