“Very nice hotel, convenient to Mayo.” 4 of 5 stars

Days Inn Rochester-Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Center St & First Ave NW, Rochester, MN 55901   |
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
North Las Vegas, Nevada
“Very nice hotel, convenient to Mayo.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel is noticeably older, but, for the most part at least, has been kept up very well. I arrived at the hotel mid-morning after a red-eye flight into Minneapolis and a shuttle down to Rochester. I was surprised, and very thankful, that they had a room available to check-in. It allowed me to get a much-needed nap prior to my appointment at the Mayo Clinic that afternoon.

The room I had was very small, but was suitable for me, especially since I was traveling alone. It was a bit of a tight fit, between the bed and the dresser. The bathroom was even tighter, but was very clean and well-stocked. The room overlooked 1st Avenue, as well as the Mayo Clinic down the street. The window, however, could benefit from some additional weatherproofing. Whenever a gust of wind would blow outside, I could feel the gust coming through my closed window.

Unfortunately, the hotel wasn't attached to the local subway/skyway system, however, access was just across the street, so not terrible at all. In addition, the hotel was attached to a restaurant, Pannekoeken. I ate breakfast there each morning, and they offered a 10% discount with your room key. The food seemed hit-or-miss to me, but it was definitely convenient, especially when the weather was less than pleasant.

There are a couple of things I think the hotel could benefit from though. First would be some additional room maintenance. For example, the entrance door to my room had some substance splattered across it. Second would be the towels. They were rough, dingy and in desperate need of replacement. And thing would be the elevator. I know it's an older building and pretty evidently an older elevator, but that thing nearly gave me whiplash each time I had to ride it!

Regardless, I will definitely return when I need to visit the Mayo Clinic again in the future. The price was right, the location was great and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
HUDSON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We chose this hotel due to its proximity to Methodist Hospital. Great that it is directly across the street and we could walk easily and have free parking in the hotel lot. The staff was very nice. Rooms are very old, bathroom awkward and tiny, beds so-so for comfort. Great location and if you don't need to spend much time in your room then it will fit your need as a place to sleep. Rates are reasonable. If you are spending your time at the hospital this will fit bill, if you are in Rochester for pleasure you probably would do better to find an upgrade.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Rochester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm still not sure why the lamps were unplugged and the heat off (in December). There was only one entrance/exit to the building, and no fire escape (we were on the fourth floor). We booked a queen sized bed and got a full. Let's not talk about the room being entered by the staff after we checked in and was at dinner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

two harbors
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is small and older but very clean. Rooms are small. Bathrooms have a step up
and are outdated still are clean. Thats what matters... hotel is right across the street from the Methodist Hospital and the restaurant has very good food thats adjoined. convienent parking and they will let you stay parked even after you check out.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Methodist Hospital are nicer
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This Days Inn is one of several hotels adjacent to the Rochester Methodist Hospital. There are several fancy new hotels connected directly by skyway that are much more expensive, and then there is the Days Inn. It is an older building, pet friendly, just across the street but not directly connected, and priced accordingly.

Let me start with the service. A family member was scheduled for surgery at RMH. the process started with a 10:00 a.m. appointment at the Mayo. We were driving to Rochester at about 9:00 a.m. and called ahead. We were traveling with our dog and were worried about what we would do with her for half a day. To our pleasant surprise, we were told our room was ready and we could check in on arrival. We were greeted with a smile and were in our room in no time. They were out of the room type we had reserved, and so they gave us a free upgrade. We had a nice little "suite" on the top floor with kitchenette (fridge, microwave, sink). Throughout our stay, whenever we had a question or concern, service was friendly and helpful. The woman at the front desk said they were proud of their hotel, and it showed.

Having said that, let me repeat that this is an older property. The rooms are a bit "lived in", and the facilities may be a bit worn. Don't expect a gleaming white tub, for example. If you're looking for a new and fancy place with all the amenities, this is probably not it. But if you need basic and perfectly adequate accommodations with a staff that cares, this worked for us. Do be aware that there is a single elevator for the property, and it is somewhat slow. It wasn't a problem for us, even with a person in a wheelchair post-surgery, and most times I just took the stairs by choice to get some exercise. But for someone who was mobility impaired, this might be an annoyance or worse if there was an emergency.

We chose this hotel for the proximity to RMH, the customer parking lot and the pet-friendly policy, and we will gladly stay here again should the need arise.

Room Tip: If you need a kitchenette, make sure you request one and double check. Some rooms have them, and som...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Rochester-Downtown? Share your experiences!