“Convenient to Mayo Clinic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area

Save Saved
You added Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area to your Saves list
Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 6th St SW, Rochester, MN 55902 (Formerly Best Western Plus)   |
Ranked #19 of 53 hotels in Rochester
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
“Convenient to Mayo Clinic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least eight times, and I will probably stay here another eight times within the next few years. Several buildings comprise the hotel: there is the main one with the front desk, breakfast room, and restaurant; one across the parking lot, and one across the street. I have stayed in all of the buildings. The main building is more convenient, I suppose, (also more expensive), but I prefer the other buildings because the rooms are all small suites, like a studio apartment really, with full kitchens, double beds, or a king. Some living rooms also have fold-down Murphy beds, firm but comfortable. If you are going to be in town for several days, I highly recommend getting the suites. It's a great value. The kitchens are sparsely furnished, and it varies from room to room, but there are usually enough utensils, plates, cookware, etc., that you can get by if you want to cook something simple. Full-size fridge, microwave, oven, coffeepot are all available. If you get tired of eating out, despite the great restaurants in the vicinity, you can always make some pasta.
Another great thing about this hotel is the shuttle service, which starts at 5:30 a.m. and goes until ten p.m. The drivers are fantastic, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The shuttles loop all day between the hotel, Mayo Clinic, the hospitals, the mall. They will drop you off at a restaurant and come pick you up later. Park your car in the lot, and you won't need it until it is time to go home.
Breakfast is fairly good; there is a waffle maker and usually a decent fruit salad, and some protein choices. If you can't eat before having tests at the clinic, the Dunn Brothers coffee (I think) is very tasty. Breakfast starts early. The hotel restaurant, Twigs, is a good choice for at least one meal. It has an eclectic menu and I have never had a bad meal there. Try the pear and walnut salad!
On the few times I have ever had a problem at Soldiers' Field, such as a leaky toilet, or needing extra bedding, it has been taken care of very quickly. The internet works great. The staff is very used to dealing with Mayo Clinic patient issues and will make accommodations for you if at all possible.
This place is not fancy, but it is a great value. The convenience of the shuttle, the helpful staff, and the good restaurants add to its desirability.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back of the other buildings, facing people's backyards, are super quiet, but th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Best Western Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are so happy to hear about your past stays with us, and your plans for future visits with us. Thanks for your great description of our different buildings, we are glad that you enjoy our extended stay guest suites. We couldn’t agree more on our shuttle drivers, they are definitely one of a kind and we are so lucky to have them all. Thanks for your kind comments, I can’t wait to pass them along. We have recently added a few more options to our breakfast buffet including Egg Bakes, Meat, Egg, and Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries and we have added a pancake machine as well. I am happy to hear that our housekeeping and maintenance departments have been quick to fix any issues that you have had during your stays with us. We are so proud of our staff and they will appreciate your kind words. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon. Sincerely, Myron Salz

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stay at this hotel many times throughout the year because this is our preference in terms of a clean, family-oriented hotel. The free breakfast is average and the pool area/game room is a favorite of our boys. Always great service at this hotel and the shuttle will take us anywhere we need to go.

Room Tip: The hotel offers both standard hotel rooms and "outlying rooms" which are suites with kitc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Best Western Soldiers Field. We are happy to hear that our hotel is your home away from home when in Rochester. We have recently made some changes to our free breakfast buffet’s rotating hot breakfast which will now include Egg Bakes, Meat, Egg, and Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries and we installed a pancake machine that we hope you will enjoy on your next visit. We are glad that your boys enjoy the pool area and game room. We are thrilled that you and your family have always received great service from our staff and enjoy the shuttle service. We will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely Myron Salz
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

My son and I just returned from a 5 day stay. He was a patient at the Mayo clinic. The location was perfect. Free shuttle to and back from the Mayo. About an 8 minute shuttle. They also shuttle you to the Apache mall all for free! The free breakfasts were very good as well with a large selection of food. We had a suite in one of the outside buildings near the rear. Nice and quite. Never heard any noise or traffic. The Suite was very nice with a Murphy bed and 1 bedroom with full kitchen. The living room and bedroom both had TV's.
Overall I would stay again. Excellent.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are happy to hear that our location was perfect for your stay and you were able to enjoy the shuttle service that we offer. We are glad that you enjoyed our free breakfast buffet, which we have made a few changes since your stay with us. We now include Egg Bakes, Meat, Egg, and Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries and we installed a pancake machine. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our guest suites and they provided you with everything that you were looking for including a quiet relaxing stay! Additionally by the end of this year all suites will have two new flat screen TV’s, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. We hope to see you again if you are ever in the Rochester area. Sincerely, Myron Salz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I recently brought 20 kids to a high level hockey tournament in Rochester Minnesota. I picked this hotel on proximity to the ice hockey facility and the hotels willingness to work with us on affordable rates as we are traveling long distance from Phoenix. We not only found the right location and rate but also a caring staff and a desire to help us with everything we needed. After the first day all of our players were on a first name basis with the staff and all felt at home. Lastly, the restaurant was phenomenal! Amazing food and great service! Not at all what you would expect from a restaurant attached to a hotel. It is obviously a big deal here in town as the place was packed with locals on a Saturday night. Bottom line... You get what you pay for and more!

• Stayed October 2012
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. We are thrilled with your comments about your experience. We take great pride in our staff and can’t wait to pass along your observations to them as they love hearing that their efforts are appreciated. I am happy to hear that you were able to take some time out of your busy weekend to experience Twigs Tavern and Grille and were able to relax and enjoy a wonderful dining experience. Thanks again for your comments, we appreciate them more than you know. We hope that if you ever travel to the Rochester area again you will stop in and see us. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts that you would like to share, myron@soldiersfield.com.
Woodbury, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We needed to stay in Rochester for 9 days while my husband had surgery. I did a lot of research for a hotel and I found exactly what I was looking for! A good rate (we got the Mayo Patient Rate), an extended stay room with kitchen so I could save on meals (this hotel has both regular rooms and the extended stay rooms), a decent breakfast, a pool for our kids to play in, and free shuttle service.

It is an older location but the decor was pleasant and we found all of it to be clean.

This hotel more than met our expectations on most accounts!
First the pros:
Our room was very comfortable, we had a separate bedroom with a comfortable king bed and in the living room there was a murphy bed (I think it was queen size, it easily slept two of our kids), a kitchen that had a stove, microwave, full-size fridge and a small dishwasher. The room was clean and every day it was cleaned and re-stocked. I have no complaints on housekeeping. It was quite later in the day when the room was cleaned but we were often out at the hospital and it wasn't an issue for us.

The hotel has a nice sized pool, a kiddie pool and a decent sized hot tub. It also has an arcade and fitness room. We didn't use the arcade much but we used the pool twice and we enjoyed this amenity.

Breakfast was decent. There were many choices including waffles, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, donuts, juice, coffee and more. For a complimentary meal it was better than many hotels I've been at and I couldn't complain about the food.

Best of all was the shuttle service! This is an on-call service as they will take you where you want to go in Rochester, and usually we only waited about 10-15 minutes (often at the hospital or clinic it was only 5 minutes). I think there was one day I had to wait 20 minutes but in a 9 day stay that's not bad. One evening my daughter and I asked them to take us to the mall and when we called the hotel for pickup they were very prompt. The best part of this was the drivers. We adored these hard working folks! They were very kind, often made pleasant conversation. One evening I watched a female driver take great care to help and elderly gentleman from the shuttle. She treated him with dignity and respect and I was very impressed. Considering the good rate that we had for our room, I think the shuttle service alone made our stay a great value!

Cons: My only complaint was that with 4 buildings full of guests, the breakfast dining area is too small and some mornings it was difficult to find a place to sit down with my plate. While this is a bit of a frustration my real irritation was that every day I there was at least one and sometimes two tables being taken up by hotel staff having a break. I understand they need breaks and need a place to relax during their breaks, but I think that taking up space intended for guests during a time that was very busy was not appropriate customer service.

Overall, we were very pleased and would recommend this to location to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you know that what room you are getting, if it is a regular hotel room in the main buildin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field. We couldn’t be happier with the experience you and your family had while staying with us. I am glad to hear that your room met your family’s needs and was spacious enough to accommodate you and your kids. I am pleased you were able to relax and enjoy the pool area on a couple of occasions during your stay, it is a great way to break up the week while here for medical appointments. Glad you and your kids enjoyed it. Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast buffet, we have revamped that as well since your stay with us and now have new items on our rotating hot breakfast such as Egg Bakes and a Meat, Egg, and Cheese Scramble with homemade American fries. We have also ordered a pancake machine and are excited to see how our guests like the additional options. I am thrilled with the service you received from our shuttle drivers. They are definitely one of a kind and we love each and every one of them for their compassion for our guests. Thanks for your comments regarding Cori, she will be excited to hear that you noticed her caring and effort in helping all of our guests. I am sorry to hear that at times there was not enough space to dine in the breakfast area. We do have an additional dining space, which is our Magnolia Room, a few steps down the hall and apologize that our staff did not have that open for you and our other guests. We have addressed this with our Breakfast staff. Thank you also for letting us know about the breakfast staff and their breaks. I have never seen this as they probably would not do it in front of me and without guests like you we would never know of these issues and we sincerely thank you for bringing that to our attention. We have already spoken to them and they were sorry for their inconsideration. Thanks again for all of your comments and helping us resolve issues. We hope to see you again if you are ever in the Rochester area. If you would like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me, myron@soldiersfield.com.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I must say that we've been quite pleased with this hotel; the price is low for what it offers. it was clean; the room was quite big; bed was comfortable; front desk people were very friendly and helpful and quick. The best perhaps was its shuttle that took us every where.
they offer typical standard breakfast; I didn't eat much there as I'm a picky eater and don't eat white bread and didn't like the taste of their coffee. But many people were eating happily. Again I didn't expect a better breakfast for this price anyways. Only I wish they had better coffee!

Room Tip: King size bed room was quite big and comfy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field. We are happy to hear that you were delighted with the hotel and what we have to offer. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and were able to relax and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful during your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our shuttle service that we provide and were able to let them do your driving for you! We have recently been looking into adding additional options to our breakfast buffet. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy the coffee. Was it too weak, too strong or was it just not a flavor profile that you prefer. We would love to know and we will also ask other guests their thoughts on it and we will definitely make a change if needed. Thanks again for your comments and we hope that if you are ever in Rochester again you will choose to stay with us. Please contact me, myron@soldiersfield.com if you have any questions. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I can't say anything positive about this Best Western. We were here for testing at the Mayo Clinic, as most people probably are. We requested a suite, which was in the next building from the front desk. Unfortunately, when making the reservation, they fail to tell you that the only access to the sub-par "suite" is by outside steps-no elevator. This will present a challenge to anyone who needs assistance or is handicapped. THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THAT!!! iF YOU FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! When checking out, someone was attempting to check in with her terminally ill 90 year old mother who COULDNT MAKE IT UP THE STEPS. It appeared that the front desk help was using many excuses, but not solving the issue. The lady was extremely frustrated and said she is going someplace else.

DON'T HOTELS CLEAN THE ROOM DAILY? NOT AT THE BEST WESTERN! We were at the Mayo for testing; came back at 2pm-the cleaners were on our floor so we left to go to lunch. Got back at 4pm....room was NOT cleaned. Called the front desk and they said they are full and would try to get to it. They never did....the next day when I complained to the front desk (again!) their reply was, "do you want your room cleaned every day?" Hello? Hello? YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT TO BE CLEANED? Thats absurd.

They "cleaned" it the next day. Empty mint wrappers not thrown away (there were only 2); empty coffee container not thrown away. If they cleaned efficiently, they wouldn't have missed this. And...this is after I had to ASK for cleaning, so you would think they'd be more efficient. Not the case.

Oh, by the way....in a suite the air conditioning unit is only in the main "living" area..there is no unit in the bedroom.

There are other places to stay...that do provide shuttles and are NOT more expensive.

Breakfast? Sausage and eggs everyday. No variety...Instant oatmeal...belgium waffle maker needs to be cleaned.

Other than that, it was a great hotel.

Room Tip: Only stay in the main "tower" (not a tower but they are dissilutioned to think it is) beca...
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We couldn’t be sorrier that your experience at the Best Western Soldiers Field was not to your liking. Would you be so kind as to contact us to discuss the issues at hand further. We will use your comments as a teaching moment for both our front desk and housekeeping. We did recently replace a front desk agent who had lost their zest for hospitality. We feel this may have been the person you spoke to regarding having your room cleaned, but we want to be certain.

Our Guest Suites are located in three outer buildings with exterior entrances. There are elevators in each of the three buildings, with only 5 of the 90 guest suites not accessible by elevator, we apologize if you received one of the 5 rooms and that our front desk agent did not accommodate a room change. Housekeeping services rooms daily. If a room was skipped it is usually because it has a “Do Not Disturb” on it. I am not sure what happened during your stay, but I wonder if they incorrectly wrote down your room number as a “Do Not Disturb”. I truly can’t be sorrier. I also believe that the comment, “You want your room cleaned every day?" was this specific front desk agent’s attempt at being funny. His banter with the guests has occasionally been misinterpreted in the past. We had to replace him for issues as you spoke about. I am just really sorry for how he handled it. In the event that we have the wrong person, we are going ahead and using this review as a training opportunity for our staff so this does not ever happen again. If you could let us know your date of stay and room number, we can look into which housekeeper was assigned to your room during your stay with us. Again, we will speak to all housekeepers regarding your situation, but we would really like to help the specific housekeeper do a better job.

I will also look into the breakfast to see where we can vary the buffet menu. Thanks for letting me know and I will speak to our chef to add variation.

Again, I am really sorry. If you are in town again, I hope you can give us a second chance. Please contact me myron@soldiersfield.com to discuss further.

Sincerely, Myron Salz

Been to Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area? Share your experiences!