You added Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area to your Saves list
Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 6th St SW, Rochester, MN 55902 (Formerly Best Western Plus)   |
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
“Best Stay in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The service here is excellent and they are very attentive to my needs as a Mayo patient. You will not find a friendlier staff anywhere! The beds are wonderfully comfortable and the rooms are spacious and very clean. Breakfast has so much you never get bored, even if you're there for an extended stay. Love the shuttle service that takes you wherever you want to go!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Liz H, Manager at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so happy to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay with us enjoyable. They were pleased to hear of your comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your room and everything was wonderful. We are so glad that you enjoyed our free breakfast buffet that we serve every morning and the shuttle service was able to accommodate all of your desired destinations during your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay. Sincerely Liz Hanson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bettendorf, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We booked a two room suite for 3 nights. Great location! Close to Mayo Clinic as well as shopping. Rooms were clean and bed was comfy! Hardly heard any noise so got a great nights rest. There was something for everyone for breakfast. Coffee, 4 kinds of juices, cold cereal, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, breads, bagels, rolls, fruit and waffles! Staff was very friendly whenever we called with a question. Hot tub and pool were very clean and nice. Very handy having a full size refrigator, dishwasher, stove and microwave. I will be booking this hotel when ever I am in Rochester.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 3 are great if you like a quiet room, if you don't mind not being in primary b...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field. We are so happy your stay was enjoyable and your room was clean and comfy! We are very pleased to hear that having a full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, stove and microwave in your Guest Suite made your stay that much easier! We are glad you were able to take advantage of our free breakfast buffet and pool area and the cleanliness was right where we expect it to be for all of our guests. Thank you again for taking your time to review your stay and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Liz Hanson
Farmington, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

We arrived at this hotel around midnight after a full day of flight delays and hard traveling. The lobby was being remodeled so we understood that it didn't look or smell it's best. We were sent to another building across the parking lot. Noticing cigarette butts on the floor of the elevator while going up to our level should have prepared me for what greeted us when we opened the door. The kitchenette style room had the filthiest carpet I'd ever seen. Nothing on Best Western's website is remotely like the shabby, dirty room that we, being exhausted, spent the night in. When the toilet wouldn't work the next morning I asked the manager, "Chris", to upgrade our room. Because we had booked with priceline he couldn't have cared less about our predicament. I gave him payment for a decent room in the main building and was on the hook for the trashy room as well until we convinced Priceline to refund us for it. The Best Western manager didn't lift a finger to do anything for us. Bringing an ill family member to Rochester for treatment at the Mayo isn't much fun to begin with but the situation that Best Western creates by booking unsuspecting visitors into a slum certainly makes thing worse. If they have so much contempt for Priceline customers why do they participate in Priceline bookings? I've seen a couple dozen reviews now that describe fully what we were put through. My advise to potential guests is to steer clear of this outrageous situation.

Room Tip: stay elswhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I booked two of the two room suites to stay at for a week for my family. My husband and I arrived on the first day and walked into a beautiful hotel and were checked in promptly. We walked across the street to the building that the "suites" are located in and thought it looked a little sketchy. It is about 20 feet from an extremely run down apartment building. Upon opening the door we were met with a smell that just wasn't good. The rooms were tiny, filthy, and very poorly kept. There were stains on everything. The couch, the fridge, the cabinets, etc. I wanted to cry. There have been no updates (or serious cleaning) in at least 10 years. I was afraid to touch anything and I certainly didn't feel comfortable having my children there. I have never been in a filthier hotel in my entire life. It is terrible that Best Western takes advantage of people that need a long term place to stay in Rochester. I asked a million questions on the phone about the rooms and could not have been remotely prepared for what we walked into. We went back to the main building and told the clerk that the room was disgusting and we would not be staying there. They did not seem surprised in the least. They checked us out quickly and did not charge, but do not be fooled. If you are booking a "suite" it is a totally disgusting dump. I wish I had taken pictures, but I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Liz H, Manager at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
I can’t tell you how incredibly bad we feel for what happened. We thank you so much for contacting us regarding your stay at the Best Western Soldiers Field. We are extremely sorry that we were not able to meet or exceed your expectations.

We have began a deep cleaning program for all our guest rooms to ensure that their cleanliness is up to our standards as well as our guests expectations. The room that you checked into was on our list as completed, which after receiving your email we were able to investigate and realize that it was entered as an error. We couldn’t be more sorry. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we have since been able to take the necessary actions by speaking to the proper department heads to ensure that this type of error does not happen again.

We have also looked into who was on staff at our front desk when you were here. It is information like yours that is so valuable to be able to retrain or replace the proper people. The uncaring attitude that you describe is not ever acceptable.

Again please accept our deepest apologies regarding this matter. We hope that if you ever come to the Rochester area again you would consider giving us another chance. Please contact me with any additional questions, concerns, or just to discuss this issue further.

Sincerely, Liz Hanson
Farmington, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We purchased the lower priced room online. When we arrived we were sent to a different building all together. The room was horrible and dirty, and the toilet didn't work. The staff was very rude when we requested a different room and insisted we would have to pay for a completely new reservation, and not be refunded for the room we already had.

They also charge $10 for airport shuttles, which was not stated.

The breakfast was cleared just before 9am, no exceptions. The coffee pot only occassionally made coffee.

Room Tip: Just pay the extra for the upgraded room, and don't expect coffee or breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New Underwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was so happy to check into a clean suite, From the reviews I was a bit worried. We are in an excellent room. There is a seperate bedroom, a murphy bed in the living room, a little bit of everything we need in the kitchen ( although we brought and I recommend bringing what you think you will need). It's an easy walk to Mayo, and we can get a shuttle to St Mary's at 5am. All in all, It's exactly what we need!
PS: I have traveled with a dog on other trips, and have found that I always get the crappiest of rooms when doing so. Perhaps some of the negative reviews come from travelers with pets?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and we were able to provide you with exactly what you needed while here at the Best Western Soldiers Field. I am glad you were able to use our On-Call Shuttle Service; we pride ourselves in providing transportation for our guests! We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Liz Hanson
Mpls, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I knew about this hotel from someone else and had requested rooms on a specific side of the hotel 6 months ago (not in the main building, I wanted one with a kitchenette). I was told they would do their best to fill the request. I called every month to "remind" of my request, called early the week of, called day of and showed up to find out that their were NO rooms where I had requested. Front desk staff was very matter of fact and stated that they had promised nothing. The room we were given smelled like dirty feet and we had difficulty regulating the temperature. No pillows for the hide-a-bed but they promptly brought when I called. "Full" kitchen was not stocked. No glasses, glass or plastic. Only one small pot.

Pool was dirty and not stocked with towels. My daughter said that the top row of sauna was a "bit scary and not secure".

Apparently a nice breakfast is served until 10 a.m., however, my daughter was sick and we didn't make it down until 10:15 and there was nothing that I could even buy. When I asked the front desk I was told, "we had breakfast, you missed it".

Requested a later check out because we didn't have to be at our competition for an hour after check out and my daughter was sick. Was told best they would do was 15 minutes extra.

The staff appeared used to dealing with guests who were not happy with their stay because they were completely numb to the requests/comments and rude with their responses. I will NEVER stay at a Best Western again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Liz H, Manager at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our hotel. We are very unhappy with how you were treated by our front desk staff. There is absolutely no reason that someone could have not gotten you a few breakfast items. We have spoken to the staff to see why they were not helpful and empathetic to your situation. We have hired a new front office manager, and are in the process of retraining and restructuring our staff to assure that this type of treatment of our guests will not happen again.

When making reservations we try our very best to honor each and every request for specific rooms and location. Since many of our guests are here for Mayo Clinic, and their length of stay is not always known, it is our policy to not force a checkout. We wish that a room on the specific side of the hotel that you wanted had been available.

We apologize that you did not have adequate cookware to make your meals. Our Guest Suites are typically stocked with a sauté pan, sauce pan, dishes and silverware, we are unsure of what happened to all of the cookware in this room. Our housekeeping procedure is that all the cookware is to be accounted for upon every checkout. We spoke to the Executive Head Housekeeper who promptly spoke to the employee that failed to check the room. Thank you for bringing it to our attention so that we were able to remedy the situation.

Again, we are so sorry that we let you down. I promise you that we will do everything possible to ensure that none of this will happen again.

Please contact me, liz@soldiersfield.com if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Liz Hanson

Been to Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area? Share your experiences!