“My best traveling experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of An Abbey at Viola Suites

An Abbey at Viola Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
An Abbey at Viola Suites
You added An Abbey at Viola Suites to your Saves list
2020 Viola Road NE, Rochester, MN 55906   |
Skokie
“My best traveling experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I am writing this review because of the wonderful stay I had with my wife at Viola Suites, she was having open heart surgery. The suite had everything, cable, private phone number, internet, free usage of a DVD feature film library, everything. Since we stayed one month the extra's that were provided made this property a value. The kitchen was totally equipped and included the basic's in Kitchen Canisters, spices, coffee, tea, sugar, sweeteners everything you will need. I traveled for AT&T for 20 years and never saw anything like it. The Suites had it down to cotton balls, Q Tip, and bandages I couldn't believe it. The staff made us feel like we were living next to our neighbors, every courtesy and encouraging words were there to make us feel comfortable with the ordeal ahead. The decor was unique with a mix of antiques, original oil painting, the TV stand was 110 years old and came from England. Everything was well maintained and the furniture was very comfortable down to the recliner. I was concerned with how clean the property was since we booked it from the information at their web site and our phone conversation,"it does not get any better then this".
Thank you for everything, the staff and everything they did helped make this ordeal my best traveling experience.
Len S.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a transplant patient looking for a month long stay in Rochester. I began looking for properties & called An Abbey by Viola Suites. I received information, pictures and a price quote from them. I had just started my search and had narrowed it down to 2 properties & decided to make 1 last phone call to RVHA-Rochester Visitor Housing Association to explore any other options. I left a message explaining what I was looking for with my name & # and soon after received a phone call from Dennis Loeser who runs RVHA AND happens to be the owner of Viola Suites. I told him what I was looking for & he literally began hollering at me & said there was no way he was renting me his Viola Suites property anymore because I had continued to look after he gave me the information. He said he gave me a fair price & there were no more properties fitting my criteria in the area and under no circumstances would he rent to me. He was extremely rude & unprofessional and I have never been treated so poorly over the phone. A complaint has been put in with Mayo Concierge Services, Better Business Bureau and Rochester City of Commerce.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

If your going to Mayo Clinic, Viola Suites is definitely the place to stay. My husband was undergoing procedures for two months and we stayed in suite Diane. When we arrived we were greeted by Judy. She went through the apartment to show us everything and answered all our questions, Judy made our arrival easy and our concerns simple.
The apartment was clean and decorated so we felt comfortable like home. The suites are located in a beautiful area with a forest behind the property and close to the Clinic. Everything we needed we found, we couldn't believe it. If peaceful is what your looking for during stressful times I highly recommend the Suites.

- Highly Satisfied Customer

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

our stay in this place turned out to be not very pleasant. Despite the pictures they posted on website was showing this place very clean, but the real place is not really as it is advertised. Furniture they put inside the units are extremely old and some of them are broken. the most important issue that i noticed previous travelers have also pointed out is a very severe smoking smell in this place mostly cause by the manager I believe ( he is a heavy smoker). for quite sometime after we left there I was being asked if I am a smoker because my cloths smell like that.
overall, I believe the place is not appropriate for its price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
dennisrochester, Owner at An Abbey at Viola Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Please contact the Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota Concierge Office.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We've stayed at An Abbey at Viola Suites two out of our last three trips to Mayo Clinic. The only reason we didn't stay there on one trip is because it was already booked up. We stayed here for a week each time. It is a great place to stay if you or a loved one is getting treatment at Mayo Clinic. I wanted a comfortable place to stay with my child where I could prepare most of our meals and relax after a stressful day. Dennis is excellent to work with and this is my first choice of places to stay in Rochester. Reasonably priced with everything you need to make your stay comfortable. We were also able to bring our little dog with us, which was a real comfort to my daughter. I can't thank Dennis enough for providing this wonderful place for us to stay. It made the trips so much less stressful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at Viola suites in March 2012. The area that the suites are located is in a good neighborhood and the suites are old but almost clean and with basic equipments for a short stay.

However, the manager behavior way of putting charges on your credit card is not professional. First of all, they don't give you any notice if they want to charge your credit card. For example, we extended our staying from a week to a month and they charged the card with the wrong amount. So If I didn't check it myself I could never realize that extra charge was on my credit card. But our worst experience was when we left the place and we gave the suite back to them as clean as it was the first day, but the day after and again without letting us know they charged my credit card with $163 and when I asked why they said that they did steam cleaning and washed everything because there was a curry like smell in the unit. We never cooked curry in this place or any other spices that needs to change the sheets in bedroom which is very far away from the kitchen. So my advice is that when you move out, make sure you get a signature from them to confirm that you leave the unit without any damage or problem. They forced us to leave earlier than the day we planned to (and they agreed on) because they had another customer fr longer stay. So if you decide to extend your stay you need to sign the contract instead of just writing it on a piece of paper or rely on what the manager tells you.

Another permanent problem in Suite #1 is that it is located right above the manager suite and therefore in the smaller bathroom you always can smell cigarette smoke.

Overall, the area is nice, the suites are average but the manager way of charging customers needs to be improved.

I hope my advices can prevent some problems for fellow travellers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Contact the Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota Concierge Office.
Charleston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

First time to Mayo Clinic wanted a quiet stress free place to stay. Viola Suites was like a condo we would stay in while on vacation. We had 2 friends that met us here for support and were able to bring our fur babies with us. The suite was extremely clean, and very well stocked. It was easy to get comfortable and felt so much like a vacation home. Thank you for providing such a comfortable place. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to An Abbey at Viola Suites? Share your experiences!