“A stress free comfortable stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of An Abbey at Viola Suites

An Abbey at Viola Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
An Abbey at Viola Suites
You added An Abbey at Viola Suites to your Saves list
2020 Viola Road NE, Rochester, MN 55906   |
Charleston, Illinois
“A stress free comfortable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

First time to Mayo Clinic wanted a quiet stress free place to stay. Viola Suites was like a condo we would stay in while on vacation. We had 2 friends that met us here for support and were able to bring our fur babies with us. The suite was extremely clean, and very well stocked. It was easy to get comfortable and felt so much like a vacation home. Thank you for providing such a comfortable place. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We would highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Caring for a loved one in treatment at Mayo is an extremely stressful experience--my loved one was in the hospital Brain Injury Unit with very uncertain prognosis. Dennis was very helpful, from booking my apartment from home in Spokane,WA, to changing it to a day earlier than planned----and then providing all the comforts I needed to take care of myself while I cared for my loved one. When Terry's medical outcome was better than expected (largely because I was able to be here to work with the medical team and Terry's distant family and friends), Dennis was wonderful about my short notice to check out to take Terry home to Mankato.

The large suite has a very well equipped kitchen, two bathrooms, and a lift chair and other features that would accommodate a physically impaired individual needing to stay. It would have been a perfect place to bring Terry if he'd needed hospital outpatient care in Rochester instead of in Mankato. I'd definitely recommend Viola Suites for couples or families needing access to any of the amazing Mayo facilities in Rochester.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed in one of the Viola Suites short-term apartments for several weeks while being treated at Mayo. We were traveling with our toddler, so some of the issues I had with the apartment are primarily due to him.

First, the pros:
The staff is friendly and great to work with. We had some unexpected developments and they were willing to work with us outside the terms of the lease we'd signed to give us a place to stay during treatment. The apartment was nice, fully equipped, and large enough to accommodate us adequately during our stay. It had lots of big windows, and backs up into a nature preserve -- a serene location. All necessary services are a short drive away.

Cons:
While our apartment was designated non-smoking, the apartment below us apparently was not. The smell from below permeated the upstairs apartment, sometimes much stronger than others. I am a non-smoker, and this was quite unpleasant for me. Plus, even a week after checkout clothing and bedding we'd taken with us still smells bad enough that I'm having to launder things. Ugh. Plus, I think I didn't sleep as well because of the smell.

The cleanliness was OK, but I did find a cigarette butt on the floor in the dining area. I'm just glad I found it before my "everything-in-the-mouth" toddler did.

The unit is heated by a gas fireplace and electrical radiators. When we asked if guards were available to keep our child away from the (very hot) fireplace, we were told we should just let him touch it so he'd learn not to. That's not my style, so instead we brought our own guards.

Overall, it was not a bad experience, and was definitely better than staying in a hotel for a month. But, the smoke issue and the dangers for young children were enough to make me mark it lower.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
dennisrochester, Owner at An Abbey at Viola Suites, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
The review is not fully accurate. An Abbey at Viola Suites is a non smoking property, which is stated in brail and smoking signs are posted at the all entry doors. There is also a page in our information book provided in each suite that states there is a $300.00 penalty by state law if a guest violates the posted signs at our doors. In the rental agreement it states that we are a non smoking property and it is not permitted within the suite . Violators can be evicted. Regarding a cigarette butt, could it be possible that someone carried it in on there shoe ? Eighty per cent of the flooring is solid oak and is not washed by mop but by hand. My staff or myself were never informed of any problems during the stay.
The guest states the unit is heated by a gas fireplace and electric heater. The heat is provided by a gas fireplace which is also a heating sysytem with a blower and is operated by remote control for the entire suite. This is radiant heat which helps prevent dryness verses a blown air system. The electric radiator is a courtesy we provide for additional heat in an individual room if a patient attending long term care procedures at Mayo Clinic was chilled or uncomfortable. This would allow the Suite to have the normal comfort for a family without intensifying the heat throughout the unit. The Suite the guest stayed in also has five lighted switch controled ceiling fans which circulate the air evenly..
There was never a suggestion that a child should touch the fireplace / heating system. An Abbey at Viola Suites provides more extra conveniences then any property in the state of Minnesota without extra charges. The apartments are keep in immaculate condition and the testimoinals at our web site state that. We do not provide a surround for the heating sysytem nor does anyone else.
We apoligize for any inconvenience the guest might have experienced and we would have done eveything possible to make there stay comfortable .... but there was never any call to our office to make me or my staff aware of any grievance, how could we follow through.
Dennis Loeser Cheryl Otto
Owner General Manager
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We stayed at Viola Suites while on a recent trip to Minnesota. We had a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen, living room, dishes, utensils, everything you would need to be comfortable. The owner, Dennis, is a gracious host and I'm sure anyone who stayed here would have no complaints.

McAlester, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I could never find a more perfect place to stay than at An Abbey at Viola Suites in Rochester, Minnesota. My "Suite" at An Abbey at Viola Suites was so much more than I could ever have imagined. Located just outside of the town of Rochester, Minnesota, the hotel is next a wildlife preserve- nestled comfortably there. That is just how it made me feel to stay there- nestled comfortably in an apartment setting which was quiet and serene. It certainly helped me to feel comfortable during my visit to the Mayo Clinic- especially since I was a single female and traveled there all by myself. An Abbey at Viola Suites is more like coming home than returning to a hotel. And my host was spectacular and was there to take care of any of my needs during my stay. His warm and friendly demeanor also helped me to feel so comfortable and took away my fears of being treated at the clinic all by myself. I could never have found a better place. I will be sure to book my stay with An Abbey at Viola Suites upon my return to Rochester.

• Liked — The Suite was beautiful and was more like coming home than returning to a hotel room or efficiency apartment
  • Disliked — I liked absolutely everything
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

Viola Suites had everything we wanted for our week in Rochester: fully stocked fridge and pantry, a stylish and comfortable living area--with a dining room!--and a serene setting. It was truly a home away from home. The owner and staff are friendly and very helpful. They ran airport and clinic shuttles and kept the place immaculate. We felt well prepared for and well looked after. When we wanted to cook our own meals, we'd open the cupboard and there was everything we needed.

The view from the back deck into the woods is lovely. The grounds are private and pretty.

If you ever plan to visit Rochester for a few days, Viola Suites is ideal.

Stayed June 2006
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

A perfect location for those who want to stay out of the city limits and enjoy the emmenities of a peaceful environment and the comforts of home. Suites are like private apartments and provide all imaginable staples to maintain a full kitchen. Price is affordable compared to others especially given the added touches, you can literally prepare all your meals there and save a bundle on dining out. Shuttle service is available during the Winter months, site is approx 2 miles from the Mayo Clinic for those who are patients. Site is on a beautiful acreage with trees and lovely landscape around it. Enjoy TV, movies, games all you could ask for.

• Liked — Has all you could ask for
  • Disliked — No within walking distance to downtown
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to An Abbey at Viola Suites? Share your experiences!