“We Can Do That” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 53 hotels in Rochester
Mexico, Missouri
“We Can Do That”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the International Hotel. On both visits the rooms have been very nice, the hotel itself, located on the top two floors of the Kahler, is very quiet and private. If you need a quiet place to recover, this is it. The 24 hour lounge is good when you can't sleep and need to rattle around outside your room a bit. The concierge service is truly spectacular. They made any request my wife or I had come true. I heard "we can do that", or "I can get that for you" numerous times. From getting the exact newspaper we wanted to making more salmon appear at the complimentary breakfast in the lounge, they are there to make our stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. These people are used to working with world leaders, celebrities and royalty and it shows. Pure professionalism.
Another big plus is being able to take an elevator directly to the connector to Mayo. You never have to go outside. I can be from my room to the 15th floor doctor's office in well under 10 minutes.
Also close via sky walk to a Barnes & Nobel located in a refurbished theater. It's pretty neat. Tons of food options close by, many offering al fresco dining. A lot of art near by--explore the neighborhood if you get the chance.

Room Tip: Executive king suites have one bedroom with a king bed and a nice living room. Also a half bath and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed at the International Hotel during a visit to the Mayo Clinic. I had stayed at the Doubletree and the Marriott previously, and wanted to compare the International. It is a nice place, but I am not sure that I would stay again.
PROS:
High end finishes. Mahogany woodwork, nice furniture, nice bath with slightly outdated finishes.
24 hour lounge with concierge
Key access only floor
Quiet, unless you are near the elevator.
Very clean room
CONS:
saggy bed
elevator bangs when it runs
very very slow internet in lounge, none in room (and lots of attitude from the front desk after an hour with tech support)
temp controls in room don't work
few places to sit comfortably in lounge
meager food choices in lounge
no ottoman for chair in room. This is the worst after a day of walking the Mayo Clinic.

Being a repeat Mayo visitor, I have 4 things that I would like at the end of a long day-
a place to rest my weary feet in my room, a concierge lounge to have breakfast and a hearty snack in the evening (many times you just don't want to leave the hotel) with a comfortable place to sit in the lounge, and internet access, and a clean room. Unfortunately the International provided only one of these.
They do provide a turndown service with a handful of loose pretzels and some root beer barrel candies. (????) No mat provided by the side of the bed.
Would I return? Probably not for the value and comfort. The Marriott and Doubletree both offer concierge floors with plenty of amenities for a much lower price and equal comfort. If you need total privacy, however, this may be your place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was booked at the Kahler Grand and the second I saw my room (the 2nd time I had been there) I switched to the International. I was there to be with my dad while his wife is at the hospital, and he loves the Kahler, but I never realized the International was within the building. The second I go off the elevator it was completely different! the carpeting, the doors, the whole atmosphere! I had a room with 2 queens because my brother was there that night, and the room was huge and beautiful. There was a nice sitting area with a 1/2 bath, then the separate bedroom which was huge. Both rooms had their own tv. The beds were plush and the bathroom gorgeous! The conceriege service was wonderful, there was a nice breakfast, afternoon tea and snacks and drinks later. After getting back from the hospital late I went up to the lounge to ask the conceriege where I could get a glass of wine, and he very kindly brought me one. (Room service only sold bottles), the lounge was also open 24 hours and had soda/juices/water available. Loved everything about it!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Brookfield, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I've stayed all over the city on business and there is no comparison. Bathroom is right out of a Martha Stewart photo shoot -- granite, marble and brass fixtures. I didn't want to get out of bed it was so comfy. Loved the concierge lounge with the free breakfast and afternoon appetizers. Only gripe would be that I wish they had true High-Def signal on flat screen (I know it's being picky!).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

I just stayed at the International Hotel and I loved it.
5 Star service from the Concierge to Housekeeping. The room was extra large, with flat screen tv's, you even had your own phone number to the room. The Concierge lounge was wonderful from the Breakfast, afternoon tea and the snacks at night.
THIS HOTEL IS TOP OF THE LINE!!!! If you have a chance PLEASE choose the INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose this and you will see why I liked it so MUCH
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Towers at the Kahler Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!