“Close to Mayo” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 53 hotels in Rochester
Normal, Illinois
“Close to Mayo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

During my quarterly trips to the Mayo Clinic, this is my usual hotel. It is literally across the street from Mayo. I usually have an early appointment for bloodwork at Rochester Methodist and I walk across the street to be at the lab within a couple of minutes. The subway is also convenient to get to Methodist, Gonda or the Mayo buildings quickly. I've also stayed here while having surgery at Methodist and the bellhops will walk over and wheel you in the wheelchair to your room, if need be. Very convenient. It seems to be pretty clean and the front desk is better than a lot of hotels. The negatives are the parking situation, which is a bit crazy in the tiny parking garages (but this is next to Mayo and it is free), the breakfast is the always the same thing (yogurt would be great to add a little variety) and some of the older rooms are not as nice. I've also had difficulty always getting a handicapped room that I requested. Overall, for the location this is good hotel to stay at while going to the Mayo Clinic. While more expensive than comparable hotels in other cities, it is cheaper than other hotels connected to Mayo and the parking is free with continental breakfast. I do wish they would have a frequent guest reward program (as someone else mentioned) - with me staying here, at least four times a year, that would be great.

I am pleased with the Kahler for its easy access to the Mayo Clinic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Scottsdale, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Wow. After staying at this property, I've lost some confidence in the reviewers of Tripadvisor.

This property was rated on the high side with some very positive reviews. The reviews also spoke glowingly of the recent remodel. If this is one of the best hotels in Rochester, the city is in trouble.

We were visiting the Mayo Clinic with a family member. He had a standard room. I was in a "mini-suite". In a nutshell, both rooms screamed the '70's. Outdated fixtures, old style furniture, poor lighting, soiled bathtub, low pressure toilet, old elevators, very dated indoor pool area, a ratty blanket...the list goes on.

I'm assuming the Mayo Clinic attracts an elderly crowd. However, if you are relatively well-travelled and under 55 years of age, it will be reminiscent of an old Holiday Inn in the 1970's.

Also, if your room faces the roof top mechanics, as ours did on the 5th floor, you will hear a hum all night. The A/C blows directly on the bed.

The free continental breakfast was awful. Bitter coffee and stale bagels. The breakfast buffet for $8 was empty.

Parking is tight, literally. If the hotel is full, I don't know how they can fit all the cars in their underground lot.

Only highlight that keeps this property from getting only one star...the staff was friendly.

As always, you get what you pay for. Stay at the Marriott

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

While the staff has always been professional and friendly, the newly remodeled spacious guest rooms bring this hotel into the luxury market for Rochester! With so many choices for hotels in this area, The Kahler Inn and Suites is a great choice with great value!

Colleyville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Kahler is located across the street from Mayo Clinic and Methodist Hosp. and is connected with underground walkway(subways). The hotel is older , has been renovated. The lobby is small but has a sandwich shop and coffee shop connecting. We were there 7 nights and 3 of the 7 the bottom sheets were not properly put on . The bedding has not kept with Hampton Inn, Holiday Inns, Hilton, etc. There is a included continental breakfast and during the week an option to upgrade to a hot breakfast for $8.00. The staff has always been very helpful. Parking is limited and free. They use a next door parking garage(ramp) for overflow and pick up the tab. The evening meals are marginal. Prices are competative and very good for the location. Will stay again because of location, price, and staff

Room Tip: unless you have kids who will be using the vidio games, pool and pool table, avoid the 2nd floor roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Springfield, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First of all, let me state that I'm obsessive about my hotel selection when traveling. I'm ashamed to say that I spend way too much time checking every possible website for reviews and information about the different hotels in the area which I'm staying. My first and most important factor in selecting a hotel is the age of the building. I figure if the hotel is newer, then the rooms, beds, carpet, furniture, televisions, bathrooms, pool, and other living conditions are going to be up to date and nice. This is VERY important to me. My second factor I consider are the reviews of the hotels to get other people's opinion on the hotel. Lastly, I factor price and its relation to the value of what I'm receiving as noted above with the hotel's age and amenities.

Our trip to Rochester was to visit the Mayo Clinic for one week. We didn't want to rent a vehicle so we decided that we would select a hotel that was very close to Mayo. After much investigation, we chose Kahler Inn & Suites because it was directly across the street and because it had been totally renovated last year. Since we were staying 8 nights, price was somewhat important. Many people recommended the Marriott for a hotel that was close to Mayo, but their rates are so high. If we had just been staying a night or two, I would have selected the Marriott. Another option was the Kahler Grand. But like the Marriott, it was too expensive for their renovated rooms. You can get one of their older, non-updated rooms for much less, but I didn't want that.

Alright, I've taken enough time explaining my selection process for hotels. Let me give you my opinion of the Kahler Inn and Suites. The best thing they have to offer is their location to Mayo Clinic. We were directly across the street from Mayo and could easily walk to our destination of appointments either on the street or using the underground walkway. This was so nice due to the nature of having time in between appointments and quick access to rest. And once you are done for the day at Mayo, you just want to get back to your hotel and there it is so close. I didn't see this hotel prior to its renovation so I can't comment on the comparison of it before and after. It is obvious this hotel has been renovated with new carpet, paint, wall paper, furniture and such. The beds were very comfortable and the room had a nice 32" Samsung HDTV in it with many channels to select from. The only downside to our room was the bathroom. It was tiny. There is hardly any room to move with the round toilet (can't install elongated because there isn't enough room) and the tub shower. The shower worked well with pressure and temperature. The sink and vanity was outside of the bathroom which was open into the room. This was the only thing within the room that exposed the age of the building as older hotels used this style with their bathrooms. The overall service of the hotel staff was average. Not overally friendly, but not rude either. It did not appear to me they had renovated their restaurant as it looked older and outdated with its furniture. The continental breakfast was average. It isn't anywhere at the level of Hampton Inns, Best Western Plus or Holiday Inn Express. They offered bananas, apples and oranges. They offered some pastries which didn't look very good to me. There was 4 different types of cereals, packaged oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, bread and bagels with toaster along with some hard-boiled eggs. And of course there was juice, milk and coffee. They didn't offer yogurts, waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon or scrambled eggs like some of the hotels mentioned above do. There is a Caribou Coffee and Jimmy Johns Sandwich connected to the hotel which was nice. There are also some very nice restaurants in the downtown area that are within walking distance from the hotel. If I ever go back to Mayo, I'd probably stay at the Kahler Inn & Suites again mostly because of their price as compared to the other nice hotels in the area.

Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was our second stay at the Kahler Inn and Suites in Rochester, MN. The purpose of our trips is for medical treatment for our son at the Mayo Clinic. The hotel is in the center of Rochester and directly across the street from the Mayo Clinic. All of the rooms have been upgraded sincen our 2011 visit. Hotel is clean and staff is very friendly and make trip extremely comfortable. We stayed in mini-suite which has tw queen beds, kitchenette and living room area. We also had a very large outdoor balcony. Hotel includes free continental breakfast. We also ate at the restaurant several nights and staff was very accomodating, expecially with our 5 month old who was not always "happy".
Kahler Inn and Suiteshas been and will continue to be our first choice when travelling to Rochester.

Room Tip: The mini-suites are great expecially if have kids
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kahler Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!