“Cheap place to stay as a visiting medical student” 2 of 5 stars

2nd Street Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1013 2nd Street SW, Rochester, MN 55902   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Rochester B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Cheap place to stay as a visiting medical student”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here for a month as a visiting medical student to the Mayo Clinic. If you are accepted to an away rotation you need to bring the letter with you when you check in to receive the discounted rate. There is ample free parking in an unsecured lot, and I didn't really worry about my car while it was back there. The hotel is near Highway 52 and there was never any traffic in Rochester, so I could easily go shopping at the Apache Mall or buy things at Walmart or Best Buy up the road. Going straight north on 11th Avenue would get you to a nice grocery store (Hy-Vee). I would definitely recommend having a car if you stay in Rochester; I did not try the public transportation however.

There are multiple buildings; I stayed in one of them on the top floor in a one bedroom apartment, which had a decent-sized living room with sofa and desk; a microwave, a full-size refrigerator and freezer and small table in the kitchenette; and a bedroom with attached bathroom. The air conditioning was nice and cold. The carpet was old and worn looking, but reasonably clean. There were large closets (nice to hang suits up in) and dressers to put your stuff.

My room lacked a television set, even though there was a stand for one and a card with the channel selection on it. I told the desk about this when I checked in, and reminded them a few times, but it took them over a week to give me a replacement (checked in on Sunday, didn't get a new TV until the following Tuesday). I didn't have a lot of time to watch TV but it was nice to finally get one.

The wireless internet was extremely slow. The Speedtest showed 0.10 Mb/s up and down ( http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2836896625 ) and it was basically unusable for the month. I resorted to using the 4G connection on my phone as my main internet service. I did use my laptop for email and such, but if I ever needed to get any serious work done I just went to the Mayo library.

For the student rate, you receive new towels every day but they only change the sheets once a week. One morning I woke up at 5AM to shower and was greeted by muddy brown-red water coming out of the showerhead. It took a few minutes for it to clear up. I am still not sure what happened, maybe they were doing maintenance on the pipes. It did not happen again during my stay.

The best part of the hotel is its location, kiddie-corner to St. Mary's hospital (about 2-3 minute walk), where you can catch the employee bus to get to the Gonda or Mayo buildings. Otherwise, it is about a 12-15 minute walk to the Mayo building down 2nd Street.

All in all, it was by far the most affordable hotel available, but probably more expensive than renting a room from someone for a month. It certainly had its drawbacks but the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the top floor to decrease noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Weyerhaeuser, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I needed a place to stay before taking my boards exams in Rochester. The room was smallish but neat and clean. Air conditioning worked great as well. The gentleman at the front desk was very polite and helpful. I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I am not sure what the other rooms are like..mine was a queen with a comfy bed and adequate space to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to 2nd Street Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!