“Perfect For Brunch/Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Bentonville, Arkansas
“Perfect For Brunch/Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Lunch for a table of 2

Atmosphere: Cute, family-owned, nautical looking set up. Smaller dining area with seating that was a bit closer to the tables next to us, but was okay. Personally, this restaurant was just my cup of tea.

Food: They had the perfect amount of variety. Not too huge of a menu, but enough to have something everyone would like. I had the deep fried cod sandwich - it had a crispy crust and flaky white tender meat. I also asked for the wild rice soup and it was very tasty and still hot. My husband had the daily special which was something like an open-faced beef sandwich with mash and gravy. I must say, the beef was full of beefy flavor and it was very tender. We were both very satisfied with our meals.

We also had the Chai Carrot Cake....recommended by other Yelpers. Although it was a pretty good carrot cake and the Chai added a nice flavor, it wasn't as special as I was expecting. It could have been a little more moist and (this is a reverse-psychology suggestion) if the slice were smaller, it would feel more like a delicacy instead of a comfort food.

Service: Really great. Friendly, helpful and personable.

SUGGESTIONS TO THE OWNERS: Add candied carrot bits to garnish the carrot cake. Don't change the cream cheese icing - it was just right. AND like I said before, slice the cake thinner to make people want more! Oh, and if you're baking your own cake...here's a trick from my aunt the wedding cake maker - add a little mayo to the batter to make it more moist.

Overall: I really liked it. I would like to return someday to try more!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Favorite Breakfast Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We love going to Zumbro River Cafe and go quite frequently. Their food has a home cooked feel to it and the menu is well rounded. Their breakfasts are easily the best in Rochester that we have had, especially since you can get the good Dunn Bros coffee from next door served right to your table. Easily our favorite breakfast spot in Rochester.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Rafael, California
“Nice breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Came for breakfast. Service was very friendly. Food was very good & they had some nice variety of egg dishes (quiche in addition to omelets). Wish they had some sort of whole grain pancakes in addition to buttermilk, or some french toast. Coffee was ok but not outstanding. Cleanliness wasn't - I really notice it because I've worked in the restaurant business.

Visited July 2013
“A little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Last evening my wife and I decided to have dinner at the Zumbro River Cafe. We have been talking for months that we needed to try I, but always forgot about it when it came time to decide where we should go to eat. This is mostly due to the fact that it is kind of tucked away next to a Dunn Brothers coffee shop. It's easy to forget that it's there. Well until last night as we were genuinely Wowed !

The Zumbro River cafe is small and definitely has a clean contemporary decor and atmosphere, yet has a laid back feel. If you're looking for a place to dine with low light and lots of rich intimate atmosphere this isn't the place you're looking for.

The attention we got from the wait staff was a bit slow, but yet was not so much so to be a big negative. The food on the other hand went beyond our expectations. I had their Grilled Walleye which is served with grilled vegetable mix of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots. Also you get a potato choice which I was a bit disappointed in that one of the choices was not a baked potato. The two choices for potato are french fries and mashed potatoes. I chose the mashed potatoes and was not disappointed. The mashed potatoes are made from real potatoes, not from a box and are infused with little bits of sweet red pepper. They actually have an orange color to them and were really tasty. My Walleye was cooked perfectly with the thinnest coating of panko I have ever seen, just enough so it browned nicely on the grill. The vegetables were also grilled perfectly, cooked, but still had a little crispness to them.

My wife had their Chicken Breast over Noodles with Pesto sauce, it was equally as good. The chicken was done, but not dry and the pesto sauce on the noodles was light and refreshing.

All in all I would say that the Zumbro River Cafe is one of Rochester's hidden little gems and will be one of our go to places for breakfast, lunch or dinner from now on.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, Minnesota
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've gone here several times with family and friends. The food has always been good and the staff is very accommodating.

Visited April 2013