“Awesome guac, fresh salsa and...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #126 of 239 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Mexican
Rochester, Minnesota
“Awesome guac, fresh salsa and...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Visited Tortilleria Jalisco Restaurant in Rochester, Minnesota for the first time this week at lunch in a group of 14 friends from work. Cutting to the chase: worth a try, but I won't frequent here.

First impressions were really good: the place is bright and new inside, food smelled good, and our group of 14 split between two tables of eight in a semi-private dining area.

Menus were large and colorful, containing good quality pictures of most entrees. Since we were there for lunch, everyone was interested in the "specials", but there was a lot of confusion over how the lunch special was priced and what was special about the special since each day's special was a bit different. The menu didn't mention anything about lunch-- there was a laminated page on the table describing the specials but still no prices.

We were seated and given drinks promptly, and as expected were served a chips and salsa appetizer. The salsa was bright and fresh, plenty of chunky tomatoes and although it had a good quantity of onion, the onions were perfectly mild. Sadly everything else about the salsa was mild too... not much flavor, spice or heat. The chip were run-of-the-mill.

The waiter took good care of us all, but since we were new to the place, it took a while to get everyone's order. I have a standard order so that I can compare Mexican Restaurant experiences: Chicken Burrito, Rice and Beans... and I splurged this time and ordered a side of guacamole. The title actually read, "Two Burritos" so I was doubting I could finish it all at one sitting. At Tortilleria Jalisco, every entree has a choice of "fillings" and the selection was very good. I would be satisfied with any plain chicken filling, but the top selection was spicy pulled chicken with tomatoes. Sounded good. One brave soul at our table ordered cactus filling and remarked that it wasn't remarkable.

After our order was taken, we waited a long time for our meals to come. Each table went through four baskets of chips, a couple bowls of salsa and refills on water before food began to trickle out. There was no lunch-time rush today. When meals did finally start to arrive, they came in groups of four with a significant gap between the groups. When the last group got their food, the first group was almost done. My favorite Mexican restaurant in town typically serves us faster than McDonald's can wrap a McChicken. There were no mistakes in ordering despite the size of our group.

Before I describe my meal, you need to know that the pride of Tortilleria Jalisco is their homemade tortillas. I was looking forward to this. Also, there is a "salsa bar" in the dining room stocked with fresh toppings to make your meal a custom delight... rats, I was never told about the bar and only discovered it on the way out to pay for my lunch.

Having ordered chicken burrito, rice and beans from dozens of Mexican restaurants from Florida to Texas and Minnesota to South Carolina, I was kinda expecting a sauce and cheese covered flour tortilla, stuffed with chicken and spices, flash broiled to melt the cheese, served on a plate so hot the waiter must wear oven mitts, but what came was different:

I was served a cold plate of Spanish rice and refried beans next to two, four-inch burritos which were un-sauced, except for where both had been smeared with a bit of beans. Watching others eat, it appeared the burritos were intended to be finger-food, but mine were a bit too messy to pick up. I mixed the tasty rice and beans, although a bit cold, together with salsa off the table and half the guacamole I received in a steel side cup to form a chip-dip which went down well. I ate the first burrito by brute force, fork-slicing it into bite-sized pieces... and I mean brute force-- the flour tortillas were a bit thicker than I usually encounter and were not at all soft. Despite having to work for my food, the combination of goat's cheese, lettuce, spicy tomatoes and chicken was very good. I ate the second burrito in bite-sized pieces cut with my dinner knife which was equally as difficult as using a fork. Both burritos were rather cold, consistent with the idea that these burritos were meant to be "sandwiches" in the sense that Chipotle burritos are "sandwiches". Fine, but not what I was expecting.

I have to add that the guacamole was absolutely superb-- very flavorful, chunky and rich. A great complement to any part of the meal.

Price-wise, I paid bit too much for what I was served-- comparing other places in town, this isn't a bargain diner. The lunch specials were a better choice for folks with a thin wallet.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Hastings, Minnesota, Usa
“Worst Mexican food ever tasted.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We picked this restaurant because of the reviews and we were all disappointed. The chips were tostitos and the salsa was pace picante. The food was bland and had no flavor at all. This is not real Mexican food. I have eaten Mexican food in Texas, New Mexico and Los Angeles and this did not compare. The fajitas didn't even come on a sizzling skillet. The four of us would have rather eaten at Chipotle or Taco Bell!

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, Minnesota
“Authentic Mexican Food, Easily the best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

So I thought that El Carambas was the best in town, not anymore. El Carambas is still good, don't get me wrong, but Tortilleria Jalisco is just better. They make their own tortillas which are AMAZING and the food is wonderful. We went for breakfast and the breakfast burritos are a fantastic deal and taste incredible. I will be recommeding this place to all my friends who are craving some good Mexican food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, Minnesota
“Small, authentic Mexican restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here twice and both times the food has been excellent and the prices are beyond reasonable. They also have a make-your-own salsa bar.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Incredible!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Unfortunately we weren't there on Saturday when they sell the awesome tamales, but the burrito I ordered was the best I've ever had...seriously!! No generic texmex, this is the real deal. The homemade tortillas and the excellent salsa bar were also fantastic.

Visited December 2012