“After 10 years, most likely won't return” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Decatur
“After 10 years, most likely won't return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have stayed at this location 10 to 20 nights per year for about the past 10 years to visit family in Rochester. No more. If we have to cut a few nights to afford something a bit more expensive, we will. Was not impressed with front desk. They were too busy doing laundry or other tasks. We were greeted with the warning that the Internet was slow recently in the evenings. This isn't what you want to hear upon check-in. We had to move after our first night because we could not get hot water. We requested the manager call us - didn't happen. I'm the guest; I'm not going to put in a request twice. We did, however, have someone call our room to tell us there was nothing wrong with the hot water in the room. First: Why? The problem was resolved by switching our room (which seemed to be a huge hassle for the hotel staff). Second: What happened to customer service? Never tell the customer that they were wrong, instead, you say that the problem has been resolved. Don't know what was up with that. The biggest thing is that the policy on the kitchen has changed and instead of being a fully equipped kitchen, which is what is boasted in all the literature, we had to pick what we wanted for the kitchen and haul it there and put it away ourselves. Why? What sense does that make? If a guest doesn't need it, they simply don't use it. After driving nine hours to get to Rochester and hauling in our luggage the LAST thing I want to do is haul all sorts of necessities to the kitchen (dishes, silverware, coffee maker, pots and pans, dish drainer, toaster, etc.). It was simply ridiculous. There was also no ice in the ice trays in the freezer - a first. We've always enjoyed the service and amenities we have at this hotel. It's exactly what we want when we travel; basically, an apartment away from home when we visit. This was a huge change and not for the better.

Room Tip: If things don't change - a good room can only be found in another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014

I spend three to four months at a time in extended stay hotels every year. This hotel has new mattress and TV's it is due a renovation but for the cost and OUTSTANDING service. I would recommend it to anyone...

Room Tip: corner suites have two windows second floor very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, 1 week ago
It is so rewarding to read that you had a comfortable and great stay with us. Thank you for your comments. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the our new mattresses and TVs. We are in line for a full renovation coming this year and we are extremely excited. We are so glad to read that you received such outstanding service from our staff and that you found us to be a great value. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
Preston, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2014

This was my review via their survey process:

I have stayed at this location 100 nights or more since 2008. This one stands out as lacking its usual luster. A panel was missing from the elevator ceiling. Paper, unprofessional signs were up telling people to take their trash to the trash room rather than leaving it in the hall. That made it feel more like checking into a dorm room than a hotel. The check in with Josh was INCREDIBLY SLOW, and I saw lines at check ins on other nights with other people as well. I should not have to vocalize my personal information (email, etc.) during check in. It should be in the system as a repeat guest, OR I should be able to put in on paper and the desk staff type it in on their own time. I should not have to speak it out loud, with a line of strangers behind me. And this question of "What brings you to Rochester?" needs to stop being asked. I know you're just trying to get a sense of offering special rates or what not, but people don't want to say, "Because I'm meeting my girlfriend," or "Because I have cancer," to desk staff. It's an annoying question. I am also still displeased with having to ask for all of the kitchen dishes. They should go back to being standard at check in. The cleaning staff tried to enter our room at 9am after our 2nd night there. They had the wrong room. The desk staff were aloof and not very attentive or welcoming. There was rarely anyone standing at the counter, and most times, they were off to the side doing stuff on their computer or phone. There were not luggage dollys available at our 430-ish check in. The parking lot was poorly plowed, and even though there hadn't been snow for a few days, our luggage got snowy and dirty being wheeled through the parking lot. Oh, and I don't like having to watch commercials to get internet access. Finally, the priceline "name your own price" could also be lower. Like I said, usually, a lot of this wasn't an issue (especially when Dawn managed the facility), but now, the experience was a lot different than in the past. Hopefully, it was unrepresentative of what I can expect in the future.

Room Tip: With kitchens and a lot of in-town construction workers, it's hit or miss. Anyone could be cook...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that this time we did not meet your expectations. I do apologize for the slow check in with our night staff. Each of our team are reviewed and hired with qualifications to give our guests the best customer service. My staff and myself do the best we can to make sure your check in process is fast. As this hotel's manager, I will be reviewing the steps of our check-in process and I will work with my staff to ensure that we are being more efficient in this regard. Regarding your comments on the dishes, I am sorry to read that our new dish delivery process did not meet your expectations. We keep our dishware at the front desk to ensure that the items are clean and sanitized when each guest checks in. I am also disappointed to read that you found our staff to be inattentive and unwelcoming, and that we were often not available at the front desk. I will be working with my staff to ensure that we are meeting our high customer service standards to prevent this from happening to future guests. I value your comments on this last stay and I want to ensure that your experience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, at rnt@extendedstay.com or call me directly at 507 289-744 to discuss further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay America locations in the future.
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

Dealing with Mayo Clinic health issues we were pleased to have a motel that had a short drive and easy access to the clinic. Scott at the front desk helped with great service. This was a quality stay while in Rochester.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Embarrass, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

We chose this hotel mostly for the price and I guess you get what you pay for. However, after taxes we still paid $100 and call me old fashioned but that isn't that cheap. They state "Fully equipped kitchen with refrigerator, stovetop, microwave, coffee maker, cooking utensils, dishes, and cutlery." We got the refrigerator, stovetop, microwave but nothing else! We didn't see the note that you have to request "packages" and they bring the items to the room. Oh well. The wireless connection is very slow but you can pay extra for some speed. There isn't any breakfast really but a few items to grab and run: muffins, granola bars, oranges, oatmeal, and coffee. No juice or milk. That must be why you get a refrigerator. It's set up right by the entrance doors by the desk. You had to line up in this small area if you wanted something and there are people coming and going in that small area as well. You either take the food out the door with you or go back to your room with it. In other words, bring your own food for breakfast. We had three people and could only get a room with two double beds. A bit tight for two adults in one bed. We stayed on a Monday night and it was quiet however in the morning you definitely can hear people coming and going. The location is good and if you need a longer stay here with the kitchenette it is very doable. We did not use laundry. Bring your own lotion". We were able to sleep on the beds which was a biggy for us. We were here for a Mayo appointment.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
LaCrosse, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

I have been staying at the two Rochester, MN extended stays approximately 6 weekend nights per year. I stayed at this North side one a couple days ago. The hotel is easy to find. The rooms were 'clean', although as noted on another review the carpet is a little stained looking and cupboard,counters and refrig slightly worn. Everything work well in the room. The bathroom and kitchen were very clean. This location is close to many restaurants and a convenience store across street. Easy to access. Staff were helpful. Quick breakfast items to grab and go-just fruit, granola bars, muffins, instant oatmeal and coffee. Highly recommend. Have gotten through Priceline for a great deal. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Algona, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

A unexpected stay at mayo clinic my wife and myself need a place to stay and we already had friends at the hotel. The price is a good value when you figure you get a kitchen with the room. You can get a mayo price if you let them know at reservation time. Our fiends are at the hotel for a long period of time and get a very reasonable monthly price. But even the hotel daily price is very comparable to the other hotels in the area. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such nice review. We always do our best to give a good value for both our short and long term guests. I'm so pleased to hear that that you were able to make our hotel a home away from home for you and your wife. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Rochester - North? Share your experiences!