“Not so great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 53 hotels in Rochester
Appleton
“Not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Like so many others, I stayed here because of assessment and treatment at Mayo clinic. My stay was extended beyond what we'd expected, and as our first hotel was full for the succeeding nights, we had to find a new place. we chose Extended Stay America - North for the convenient location and amenities we were looking for. My daughter and her husband had their very small dog along, so pet-friendly as a necessity. Initially the desk staff was efficient and friendly, but as we added yet another couple of nights, our luck ran out. I could not believe some of the unprofessional comments and lack of compassion from desk staff. Though they'd been guests for several nights and had been told the nature of the relationships of the couples in the rooms, desk staff continued to refer to my daughter;s husband as her "friend". We're not talking about teenagers here...he's 30+. She was the Mayo patient and it was not difficult to tell by looking at her, yet this particular desk staff person seemed intent on being rude to her, first about her husband, and then about the small dog...insisting on payment of the pet deposit for nights we had not reserved nor were even planning on staying! For whatever reason this desk attendant chose not to "like" my daughter, she should have been professional enough to treat her with the respect that any guest, let alone an obvious medical clinic patient, deserved.

Other than that, the stay was pleasant. Rooms were clean and fair, but no nicer than that. We particularly appreciate the kitchen facilities, but again expect the bare minimum. The best thing that we can say is that the price was low, the dog was marginally tolerated (though he was not left alone during the day and is not a barker at night), and the location was good. If you don't have price or animal considerations, I'd definitely stay somewhere else. And depending on whether or not you catch staff on a "good" day, you might expect a bit of rudeness if not abuse from them, too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am very sorry to hear that a member of our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. This is unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will be meeting with our staff to ensure this does not happen in the future. Still, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your clean room, our location and your fully equipped kitchen. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been guests of Extended Stay North many times over the last two years while I receive treatment at Mayo Clinic. (There is a free shuttle to quickly get you downtown and back again).
The accommodations are clean, room size is ample especially since each room offers a full size kitchen with a full size refrigerator and a stove (which is great when you don't want to dine out). There is also a grab and go breakfast every morning.
And it is close to both a Super Target and a Super Walmart very close by.
But I have to say, the best part of staying with them is the excellent service! Not only will they take care of concerns in a timely manner, they become like family. You quickly realize how much they care about each and every guest and their well-being. You can't get THAT at any other hotel we know of (even at three times the price)!
If you are looking for convenience, cleanliness, affordability and friendly, helpful service, please stay here!

• Stayed March 2014
Westmoreland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I needed a place to stay for some training in Rochester MN and I looked for my own accommodations instead of allowing the travel agent to select for me. I am a traveler that sees a room as a place to sleep and maybe watch a little TV so I never go for the "high-dollar" hotels because, hey it is a place to lay my head. I selected on price and location relative to the facility I was training in. The price wasn't the least expensive nor was it close to the most expensive. When I arrived I was hoping for a microwave and a mini-fridge so when I asked I was very pleasantly surprised to find I had a full-size fridge, sink, toaster, coffee pot, and a cooktop stove, and a set of dishes to dine on. These accommodations allowed me to relax in the room after a day of training without having to "deal" with the crowds at the restaurants. The people at the desk were friendly and very helpful. I will definitely stay in an Extended Stay America hotel again where ever I may be traveling. Oh and on a side note sometimes I travel with my small dog and they do allow pets, with a fee.

Room Tip: Not in the winter, come on it's Minnesota!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mesquite, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had planned to stay here for a week, lasted one night.....candidly, the place is as dump. Knowing we needed an "extended stay" we checked it out in advance. The room they showed us was clearly one they had swanked up "to show." The TV has 20 channels, room is small, carpet was filthy..etc...etc...we checked out and basicly walked across the parking lot. Paid more, but this place is so bad, it didn't matter

Room Tip: Walk on by, look at the corner
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Bring your own dish soap. If you want more than 2 silverware of each kind..you may want to bring some of your own. I would recommend an end room since you can hear your neighbors running water at times. I also had a 1st floor, the people above me sounded like they were 3000 lbs and were going to come through my ceiling. I spoke to someone a few doors down and they had the same experience. I would say that they could've put more money into the builing materials to ensure soundproofing. If you chose to stay on the 2nd floor to avoid this...I overheard a woman who usually stays on the 1st floor complaining that the smell of smoke was irritating to them from the smoking rooms that were up there. There is no radio in the room only a cheap alarm clock which may be a blessing since the poor construction to inhibit noise. Bring earplugs for those that are light sleeper. Most people are clinic patients and don't stay up late; so, it may be o.k. The chair only reclines and would be nice to have a rocker/recliner. No oven., only 2 kettles...and a microwave, fridge and stove top. If you're going to cook anything in the microwave...you better bring your own dishes...casserole glass containers ...etc...because there isn't anything at all there. It's a pretty good deal for the price. No frills, grab and go breakfast isn't much..but, is something. If you bring your towels back for exchange...ask for an even exchange for what you brought. No one is at the desk for night house and they don't come in until 7am.A laundry person is behind the counter; but is not a desk clerk. She will do what she can to help you. It is the basics and will get you buy. Room was clean and works.

Room Tip: Having a hotel with a shuttle was nice. Keep this in mind because you have to pay for parking at May...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Connie - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise from surrounding guests and that your room did not meet your expectations. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we are going to work on enhancing our offerings moving forward so that our guests feel more comfortable while staying with us in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at rnt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Hutchinson, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very clean, easy to find, pleasant folks on check in and check out. Breakfast is a generous definition for what is there: prepackaged muffins that are god-only-knows are how old; "bars" in candy bar wrappings; tea was not even Lipton, but some brand I have never heard of before and will not be seeking in the future. No hair shampoo provided in the room!
Hard to criticize, because it has a lot of other excellent amenities. Get the details right and I'd probably go again.... .

Room Tip: get a room that faces away from the freeway, as it will be quieter but I was so tired when I got the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. We assure you it is fresh food ordered every week, but will keep your feedback in mind as we continue to make improvements to our offerings. We also would like to thank you for the nice compliment on our cleanliness as we strive provide all of our guests with a high level of cleanliness.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at RNT@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here for nearly 8 months during my official visit to Rochester. They have nice rooms with adequate facilities. The staffs were also very good and cooperative. You can get attractive rates for the rooms if you are planning to stay here for long term. Recommended for a long stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the friendliness of the staff and that the affordability of our rates.

Been to Extended Stay America - Rochester - North? Share your experiences!