“SMELLED FUNKY” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Fiksdal Hotel and Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rochester
The Fiksdal Hotel and Suites
You added The Fiksdal Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
1215 2nd Street SW, Rochester, MN 55902   |
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
rock rapids
“SMELLED FUNKY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

IF I could give it a negative i would. A family memeber had same day surgery and we had to stay over for morning appt at Mayo, this was close to st mary's where she had the procedure. We walked in the door and she gagged fom the "funky" smell. The room smelled slighty better, but was stifling hot and stuffy--it was in the mid 70's outside with no way to let fresh air in. If there was air conditioning it was not adjustable in the room. The room was clean, but everything looked old. After about an hour we could not stand it any longer and left for a different hotel. Of course I had to pay for the night, but at least we were comfortable and didn't have to endure the smell! I would stay away from this hotel! not sure what rooms they have pictures of on the website--definately not one we saw.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
fiksdalhotel, General Manager at The Fiksdal Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hello Linda S,

I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during the brief time you were here. We have never had any complaints about a bad smell in the hotel prior to your experience, we pride ourselves on cleanliness, and making sure that our hotel is thoroughly cleaned every day. We do have wall thermostats in our rooms to adjust A/C and heat to accommodate our guest individual needs, and I apologize that you were not made aware of that by our staff. Once again I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and hope that you can give us a chance again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Mid-Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel is located directly across from St Mary's Hospital in Rochester. Management was extremely nice when I had to extend my reservation unexpectedly. The hotel is clean but could use some updating and better lighting. Safe and convenient location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my mom on a recent visit to Mayo Clinic. All but one of my appointments were at St. Mary's which is right across the street so it was exceedingly convenient. On a previous visit I met a couple who was staying here and they highly recommended it. For the price, we were not disappointed. Initially the room was very warm, but we turned down the thermostat and ran the tower fan and it cooled down very quickly (temperatures were 90 degrees plus during our visit). The room remained cool the rest of our stay, although it was sometimes a bit warm in the hallway. There was a small area with a microwave, refrigerator and cupboard. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The bathroom was small but functional. Everything was very clean. My only complaint is the complimentary breakfast; the selection is very limited and there weren't really any items that appealed to me. We were there around 8:30 and things were already picked over (two muffins left, only a few pieces of fruit) and an attendant came but did not refill anything. There were no options for protein. We ended up going to the Caribou Coffee down the street for the rest of our breakfasts. Taking into consideration the low rate the hotel charges, going out for breakfast was a minor inconvenience. I would certainly stay here again for a visit to Mayo Clinic.

Stayed July 2013
fiksdalhotel, General Manager at The Fiksdal Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear SBATrip,

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how your stay was, and how we can better serve you in the future. I apologize that our breakfast did not provide a better assortment of food for you but I'm happy to let you know that we are looking to upgrade not only the quality of items but also provide more options to better serve our guests. Once again thank you for your comments and concerns, we look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again.

Have a great day,

Chris Wangsness (AGM Fiksdal Hotel)
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Chose this for its proximity to Mayo. Main drawback--room never got below 72 degrees and 74% humidity, because YOU CANNOT control the room temp. Because of my illness i carry a temp/humidity meter ($10 on amazon). My keratin-straightened hair was a bush. Husband quipped that after we showered and the fan-less bathrooms steamed up that with the room humidity reaching 89% it should be raining indoors! They are happy to give you a fan but really, is that how you want to spend a week?? I was astonished to see that it had won some kind of tripadvisor award. Ugh. The "wonderful breakfast" was pasty packaged muffins, cereal, coffee. Not even hot water for my own tea bags. They have a card in the room listing dozens of channels: we got 8 channels. We decamped to a cheaper and better hotel on the third day after the heat made my medical symptoms escalate into frank illness. No way would I recommend any hotel without individual a/c...

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Hallwoman,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your stay in Rochester, I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations as we pride ourselves on delivering the best possible service and accommodation's so that your stay is as comfortable as possible. The summer months can get very humid and I will look further into why your room could not get below 72 degrees. I'm happy to say that we are looking to improve our quality and options of our breakfast so that we can offer our guests a better breakfast experience. I'm not sure why your television only had eight channels when we provide over fifty channels for our guests and will look into possible issues with our provider. Once again I apologize for all of the issues that arose during your stay and hope that we have the opportunity to offer you a better experience in the future.

Have a great day,

Chris Wangsness (AGM Fiksdal Hotel)
Monticello, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

When my wife recently had a major operation at St. Mary's hospital in Rochester, MN. I stayed in the Fiksdal Hotel and was completely satisfied. The location was directly across the street from the hospital and the price, which includes parking and a continental breakfast was refreshingly low. Two employees really impressed me: Howard in housekeeping did an excellent job and was genuinely friendly and polite as was Adrian at the desk. We will certainly if return if the need arises and a room is available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charles City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I just spent five nights at the Fiksdal Hotel, If you have someone in St. Mary's Hospital, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Its location is immediately across the street to St. Mary's Entrance on 2nd Street. Highlight for me after a long day at the hospital was to return to the hotel and sit on the second floor terrace with either something to eat or just to think about my day. Very safe and quiet area. Staff is friendly and willing to help if needed. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and wifi worked great.

Room Tip: Third floor is easy to walk up or down to breakfast on second floor.