“Another Country Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 53 hotels in Rochester
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Another Country Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was a Carlson Country Inn & Suites, they are all pretty much the same. Couple of comments on my stay: inconvenient location in an Industrial park. If you are coming to the property from the north you drive by it and then have to circle back around to access it. Only one bar/restaurant close by, everything else is 2-3 driving miles away. Property was generally clean, but in need of a refresh. Surprisingly they offered Smoking rooms, I smoke so I took one. You could tell they changed the art hanging in the room, from the black squares on the wall where the old pictures used to hang (come on owner, it would take less than an hour to paint the 1 wall). I received a discounted rate because a friend works for Carlson, so I thought I got my monies worth. If I had paid full price I would have been disappointed. To sum it up, if you can get a room for less then $100 it's probably worth it, anymore than that you can do better closer to downtown or on the north end.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suiites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that our location is difficult to get to with the recent road construction in our area. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us again if you are back in our area again.

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Spring Grove, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We recently stayed at this facility for a family celebration for our 8 year old (for a medical condition that he overcame). We were so disappointed to find this hotel lacking in many areas.

We got a great deal on our room so we think the price was right, but we were surprised that it had a 2.5 star rating. The hotel was badly in need of a remodel and was not as clean as we would have expected. The carpet was dirty and fraying around the edges. The furniture was badly worn and in need of replacing. They had obviously replaced picture frames on the wall because all of the stains around the old ones were visible as well as very obvious holes in the wall. The sink and bathtub were clean, but the floor and caulking was dirty.

The staff was the most disappointing. We couldn't get a friendly smile or word from the man who checked us in. We felt like we were putting him out by checking in. I was glad we didn't have to ask for extra towels from him and instead waited until someone new came in the morning. The person on breakfast duty was unfriendly and unwilling to help. My husband needed help with the waffle maker as he was trying to feed our two school grade school aged kids and holding and infant. After his waffle stuck, she didn't offer to help and instead another guest offered her assistance. Tacky!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that your guest room was in poor condition in regards to the carpeting and room walls. I am also very sorry that some of the staff members were not friendly and attentive to our guests needs. I will be talking with our staff members regarding this issue to avoid this happeining in the future. We are looking forward to a complete renovation in all of our guest rooms within the next several months. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Brownsfan82
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

This was a two night stay. The staff is the best thing about the facility. The two main problems involve the location and room cleanliness. The hotel is right off of us-52, but to get to it you have to drive about a mile out of the way cause there is no exact road that leads directly to it. It's a shame cause the closest way to get their is about a mile out of the way and then you have to drive a mile back. The other issue was the room needs cleaning, desperately. The bathro door itself had black on it from handprints. My wife took a rag to it cause it disgusted her. Then I noticed the head board on dust on it. The walls should be painted because the crown molding wallpaper was somewhat removed from the walls and left the room feeling dirty, because the top was white where the wallpaper was removed and the rest of the wall was tinged to a more yellow from dirt. The best news is we got a deal for two nights from Priceline, but to pay anything over fifty a night without it being cleaned is questionable. I have to admit the breakfast and staff are amazing, but I don't want to sleep in a room that is dirty am filthy.

• Stayed December 2012
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that our location is difficult to get to with the recent contstruction in our area. I am so sorry that your guest room had some cleanliness and conditional issues. We are looking forward to a complete renovation in all of our guest rooms within the next several months. I appreciate your feedback so that we can make improvements in the areas needed. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Visiting Mayo Clinic for one night ,we found the hotel acceptable.A bit minimalist ,if pleasant. Two straight back chairs for sitting, comfortable bed,heavy quilt top with no alternative blankets ,soft water making shower extremely slippery and conditioner residual in hair after showering and carpet in need of cleaning.(One wonders who is responsible for quality control in such places.)
Yet for a quick night's stay, acceptable,quiet and pleasant and with loyalty points, most reasonable. Odd location and not too close to Mayo in early morning crowd going into downtown.
Standard,plebian fare, travellers breakfast included.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that your stay was not to your expectations in regards to the condition of your guest room. We are looking forward to a complete renovation in all of our guest rooms within the next few months. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future if you are back in our area.

South Dakota - Mt. Rushmore State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had made reservations and were arriving later in the evening. We could see their large sign and even the building... finding the road leading to the motel proved very challenging... I know it was over 20 minutes of driving around in circles. Upon finding the "yellow brick road" we were okay with the motel. It wasn't the outstanding accommndations that I expected but we were just going to be sleeping, having breakfast, and check out. The "staff" was pleasant, the room was clean, and where they finally came out with a "shiny star" was in their hot breakfast. It was nice to start out the day with a good breakfast. (I wish their were some more street signs and the "blue" kind of sign with the motel's name listed guiding us to the facility.

Room Tip: Arrive before dark and you can find the roads leading to the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that our location is difficult to get into with the recent road contruction changes in our area. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our complimentary breakfast exceeded your expectations. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stay at many different brands of hotels throughout the year for my job. I stay at this hotel for personal use of Mayo Clinic. This hotel's staff & comfort is second to no other hotel. I have stayed here a couple times and will continue to do so. Staff is very friendly and accomodating. Staff is the best! Breakfast is hot with many choices. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rocsouth, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for you comments regarding your recent stay at the Country Inn and Suites Rochester South. I am so happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay and that the staff provided excellent customer service. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your business travels and we hope you consider staying with us next time you're in the area.

Ryan Snipes
Guest Service Manager
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on Club Carlson points. The location is not the best down a winding access road away from anything.The hotel is very clean. The breakfast was hot and had better choices than other Country Inns I have stayed in. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2012
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I would like to apologize that our location is a little hard to get to. I greatly appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area,

Michelle Steffl

Been to Country Inn & Suites Rochester South? Share your experiences!