“Basic HGI” 4 of 5 stars

Mayo Patient Rate
Ranked #8 of 53 hotels in Rochester
“Basic HGI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The downtown Hilton Garden Inn is a decent hotel for the expected price. The breakfast was fine and the staff were pleasant. The rooms were standard with decent furnishings. The Internet was pleanty fast, unlike other hotels I've stayed at. I never ordered room service, so I cannot comment on that.

Overall, there isn't a whole lot that is overtly positive or negative things I can say as everything met expectations but nothing stood out a lot in either direction.

• Stayed October 2012
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Mdcarney: Thank you for your post about the Hilton Garden Inn. We appreciate you staying with us and if there is anything that I can do to improve upon your stay the next time your travels bring you to Rochester, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Thank you again.

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Second visit to the Mayo (happy to say for business and not treatment) and second stay at this HGI.

As with first visit, hotel was clean and well presented. Service was good. Room nice and clean. Slept well except for some noise - nothing crazy - from the traffic (so if ask for one of the rooms facing the back of the hotel). The barometer for me - when comparing hotel rooms - is the bathroom. How clean was it, did it have cracked tiles on the walls or gunk in the grouting. Small things like that. And again the room passed with flying colours.

Bottom line: I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear bahforever: Thank you very much for your post about the HIlton Garden Inn. I am glad to hear that we met your expectations again with your second stay with us. I am also glad to hear that you will be staying with us again in the future. If there is anything that I can assist with prior to your next visit, please just let me know at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you again for staying with us.
Exeter
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had a to make a quick trip to Rochester and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn based on its proximity to the Mayo Clinic. Located in downtown Rochester, the hotel is centrally located to the hospital and offices of Rochester.

The lobby is much like any other Hilton Garden Inn and the front desk staff was nice enough, as one would expect from any establishment in MN. However...

I had a conference call scheduled early in the morning of my stay to an overseas office. While on the call at 08:15 in the morning, housekeeping entered my room without knocking. I was furious.

Not only did I have to interrupt my call to deal with the situation, the housekeeper didn't seem to understand what the problem was. What housekeeper in any hotel in the world enters a guest's room without knocking...unprofessional, not courteous and unacceptable!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Keith T: Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with our housekeeping staff have been addressed. We never want our guests to feel unsettled by our services but we do encourage guests to use the “do not disturb” sign to let our staff know they do not want any disruptions. We hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have no real complaints with this hotel except the parking is two blocks away in a public ramp, which would be very problematic in a Minnesota winter. The beds were very very nice, the room was clean, the staff was nice. The breakfast is not free.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear SheWhoTravels: Thank you for your post. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please for your next visit with us, have your car valeted. It is the same cost to valet as it is to self park for the very reason that you mentioned in your post. We have limited flat lot parking behind the hotel, so please utilize the valet service. If your travels bring you back to Rochester, we hope that you will stay with us again. If you would need anything else, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Eau Claire WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is a very nice, newer, clean facility. There is every amenity for the business traveler. Quiet spacious rooms, bar & grille in the lobby, nice pool and workout room. There is a mini-grocery in the lobby with some salads and sandwiches and other items that you can prepare there or in your room. Only downfall I noticed was a very limited room service menu. Breakfast is served in the lobby, but is an extra charge and seemed expensive to me. The price for the room was a little on the high side, but I knew that I could expect a good stay. They have free town car service, which I took advantage of as I was late to a meeting. Generally a nice stay, quiet and relaxing, just what I needed.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear mcbarkr: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will choose us in the future. I have sent your post over to the General Manager and the Chef for the comments about the breakfast and room service. They will review them.
Again, thank you for your feedback. If there is anything else that we can assist you with, please email me directly at deb.knox@hilton.com
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was here for 5 nights this trip, and I must say it was great experience. The staff at this hotel understands what customer service is! I can't say I walked through the lobby once without someone greeting me and asking me if I needed anything. Of special note was Dylan who drove me to the mall. He gave me his personal recommendations for where to eat dinner and even suggested his favorites at each restaurant. And then there is the wonderful, energetic, smiling Marlene who greeted me every morning at breakfast. What a bundle of joy and happiness! Thank you everyone for making my stay wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Kim J ~ Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to have you stay with us again when in Rochester. If there would be anything else that we can provide to you to make your stay even better, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our stay here could not have been better. Our daughter was released from the hospital after undergoing major surgery for cancer at age 26. Our room was always spotless, staff ensured we had everything we needed, the fresh made common rolls and made to order breakfast was delicious. As someone who travels throughout the year in their job, I am in a hotel at least once a week per month at a minimum. This hotel and staff is top notch! The staff made this very difficult time, easier through their many acts of kindheartedness. Words cannot convey my sincere gratitude or how much this has meant to us during this very difficult time. I would highly recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Donna

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Donna A: Thank you very much for your posting. I am so glad to hear that during this very difficult time for your family, our staff was able to help. I am also glad to hear that you found everything that you needed during your stay above satisfactory. If you need to return to the Mayo Clinic and the Rochester area, I hope you will choose to stay with us again. If you would need anything prior to your arrival, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com so that we can have your room prepared ahead of time. Thank you again!
Deb Knox

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown? Share your experiences!