“Just ok.......” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Rochester
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Just ok.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have stayed at this HGI on several occasions over the years while on business at the Mayo Clinic. The staff has always been friendly and very accommodating. I was upgraded to a suite for my 1 night stay and appreciated that. I had breakfast at the hotel the next morning and there were many good choices on the buffet. The mini-cinna buns were fresh and good. After ordering my vege omelet from the server I made my way to the buffet and watched the female cook begin to make my omelet. She took the spinach and other veges out of the containers with her bare hands and went back to cooking and handling the pans and utensils on the grill. I was afraid to eat the omelet after it was served to me. Aren't cooks required to wear gloves while handling and cooking food? I think that I might check out the Doubletree the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear cdufek: Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us went well. To answer your question about the kitchen requirements, per Hilton standards, no the staff is not required to wear gloves, but because of your comments, the Regional Director of Operations has asked the kitchen supervisor to review these SOP's and see if an alternative option would work for the staff, so that guests feel comfortable with their breakfast. Thank you for alerting this to us. I hope that you will consider us again in the future when you return to Rochester.
Deb Knox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

This is our 3rd trip to mayo clinic, and by far the worst hotel experience not only in Rochester but anywhere! To the point where my husband and I will never stay in a Hilton garden inn ever again.

Rooms were not serviced properly including trash cans not emptied, room service leftovers not taken out of room for two days until we complained, and day old newspapers and empty wine bottles left in the room. Beds were haphazardly made up and at 4am my husband had to personally go find the loud drums,guitar, and drunk teenagers upstairs when the front desk did nothing!

Holiday in across the street was much better, at least 2 years ago. And even though the Mahler is outdated, service was at least up to p

• Stayed February 2012
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Sherryhb and mstuartbrown ~ First, thank you for your posts. The Hilton Garden Inn does have a strong committment to service and excellence, so we appreciate you letting us know about your stay. We hold these postings in high importance, so we have sent your comments to both our General Manager and Regional Director of Operations so that they may research the situation. An attempt to get in touch with you prior to your departure was made, I am sorry that we fell short in following through with you personally. Please note that action has been taken from our management staff. Again, I apologize that we did not meet your needs during your stay or correct the problem in a time frame that was satisfactory. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE IN ROCHESTER EVER! I'm sitting in the squalid lobby of this hotel as I write this review. They have a serious house cleaning issue here and the staff seems to have a different definition of customer service than the other franchises in this chain. Some of the highlights from our 6 night stay include, no in room movies and spotty cable reception, a house cleaning crew that left dirty dishes with two day old food out in the hallways and failed to properly clean and tidy our rooms, a 4am jam session with a bunch of under age drinkers banging bongos and playing guitar and a night manager that was unfazed about it. I had to drag my post surgery butt out of bed at 4:30am in the morning to confront the roving hotel room party above us after the management failed to address the issue. When we complained about the house keeping they comped one night of our stay. When we complained about their inability to contain the party, they just shrugged their shoulders. There are way better options in Rochester including the Holiday Inn across the street. AVOID THIS DUMP AT ALL COSTS!!!

Room Tip: Just punt on this place.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Morrison, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We have repeatedly stayed at this HGN over the last seven years due to its proximity to the Mayo Clinic. I am also a "Diamond" HHonors member, so know the Hilton chains well.

The Hilton Garden Inn chain has a great reputation for consistency; regardless of which property you visit they are almost all "the same". From a building standpoint, the HGN - Rochester fits the mold, especially after renovations last year. What sets this one apart from the others is the quality of service.

Many of the guests at this property are either patients at Mayo, or otherwise related to the Clinic. The special needs of this public can tax the staff, but they handle it with aplomb. For instance on our most recent visit I had unanticipated surgery requiring us to spend 4 extra days. The front desk set us up with nary a blink. Our surplussed wheelchair was whisked back to the Clinic without even asking.

Always a highlight is the breakfast ... the food not that different than other HGN's ... but the staff (especially Marlene) makes us feel totally at home.

From a practical standpoint, this property is connected to the Mayo complex through a series of "skyways" and "subways" ... so the couple-block distance even in the most inclement of weather is always easy. Longer travel, e.g. to St. Mary's Hospital, can be accommodated by the hotel's free van/limo service

Room Tip: Some rooms can smell "sour" or closed. The staff tries hard to make you happy, but don...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Cigano-Gitano: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We are very glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations, especially when it comes to such an experienced Hilton traveler. I have shared your post with our staff. If there is anything else that we can do to make your stay even better, please just email me prior to your arrival at deb.knox@hilton.com
Gilberts, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here two seperate times. The bathrooms are without fans and dim lighting/my husbands complaints. We stayed on the 3rd floor which was great then we stayed on the 5th floor and that room smelled musty. The bed are very comfortable and the room heats well but fan was a bit noisy along with the ambulances you hear. We bring a white noise machine which does help alot. Best part of hotel is the sky ways that connect you to rest of the city and the Mayo clinic. Best find was Chester's in the Mall/ great food.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear bcortmann ~ First, I wanted to say Thank You for staying with us. We do appreciate it. Second, in regard to your comments, I have passed them along to our General Manager, Chief Engineer and Regional Director of Operations so that they may be able to dig into these items further. Thank you for bringing them to our attention. If you would like to discuss them further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com

Thank you again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Hotel is well-appointed and well- located , with indoor walkways to shopping, restaurants, and Mayo Clinic buildings. Uses good local restaurant for evening room service, which was very fast as well as tasty. However, WiFi very inconsistent in strength, and had to sign in to system with code numbers several times an hour, since it would not stay connected. Television signal erratic, with picture and sound breaking up for extended periods certain times of the day. When asked about these issues, desk staff just shrugged and said there were problems. Bottles of water for Hilton Honors guests were tiny, not 12 or 16 oz. ones given at other Hilton properties and only two coupons for three night stay. New carpet smelled so badly of formaldehyde that person delivering room service complained. Staff person who helped get window unstuck so outside air could be added offered to check on availability of another room and helped move my belongings. This was the first staff person i met that was friendly and caring. Others gave feeling guests were something to be endured, rather than welcomed, even when I first checked in. The usual Minnesota hospitality was missing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear Passage1333: First, thank you for posting your comments about the hotel. We do appreciate the feedback. Second, I wanted to let you know that I have sent your posting to the General Manager, Assistant Manager and the Regional Director of Operations, so that they can be aware of your experience. There are areas that sound like they need improvement and we would like to get these addressed, so again, thank you for letting us know. If there is anything else that you would like to add, please send me an email at deb.knox@hilton.com
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Clean & comfortable. For frequent travelers what you expect at Hilton Gardens. Great kitchen & waitress staff. Small parking lot and a charge for parking, but that is normal for the location. Connected to Mayo & shops by skywalk. My pet peeve at hotels are the slamming doors, but the doors here are quiet when they shut.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
DebKnox, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Dear vickere ~ Thank you for your posting. I am very glad to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations. We hope that you will continue staying with us when your travels bring you back to Rochester. Thank you again!
Deb Knox

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown? Share your experiences!