“surprisingly good wood-fired pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 239 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Pizza
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“surprisingly good wood-fired pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

It's in a strip mall, but don't let that bother you. There's a nice selection of pizzas on the walk-in menu. (you order like at Chipotle or Noodles & Co.) We ordered the Greek and the ham & pineapple pizzas. They're not big pizzas, probably like a large personal size, but the crust is thin and toppings are reasonable so you don't feel stuffed.

We've eaten at a lot of wood-fired pizza places and sometimes the crust can be soggy in the center or the outer crust is burnt and charred. Neither of those things happened with our pizzas. The crust was soft & light and held up well. The sauce is a little sweet, but they also have little packets of honey to eat with your crust, so the sweet tomato sauce might be intentional. The cheese had great texture.

Decor: small glass tiles made it feel modern, and dark wood tables made it feel homey. The music was 80's pop, and kind of loud. The staff was friendly and polite for being so young. A good place to eat if you're in a hurry -- I think it took less than 1/2 hour in and out.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

rochester, mn
“Yum Woodfired Pizza in Rochester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Very good crust, simple clean crushed tomato (not paste) sauce, homemade mozzarella. Service is similar to a Noodles where you pay and then grab a seat. Ingredients used judiciously and not glopped on in a "more is better so even more must be even better" philosophy that you see sometimes. (are you listening mr pizza and bilotti's)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Anthem, Arizona
“We were hoping it would be decent, and it was!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

First off, I don’t work at Pi or for anyone involved with it, and I don’t even know anyone who is/does. I need to say that because I just read through my review and it is pretty sickeningly positive and just sounds like a commerical, but I can't help it --I like Pi. There is just something about a pizza cooked at 900 degrees, and how the chewy, soft crust contrasts with the bits where it bubbled up and got all dark and crispy, that makes this something special. The variety and uniqueness of toppings at PI helps too. The sauces are simple, the cheese is applied judiciously but proportionately, and some really standout ingredients make it unforgettable and even crave worthy. Ordering is very much like you would at other semi-fast food places like Chipotle and even Culvers (minus the drive-thru). You wait in a fast moving line to the cashier where you order and pay, you get your cups for soda, a punch card (8 pies = 1 free!) and a plastic order number sign, and an impressively short time later your pizza is delivered to your table, cheese still bubbling hot. I’ve been back five times now, and I’ve tried a different “pi” every time. If you count trades with my Pi companions, I’ve tried them all. I’m a guy with a pretty legendary pizza appetite, so while I found some of the 10 inch pies on the menu, such as the Serrano Ham and Arugula, or the Rio, a little light, I’m sure most people with more typical appetites would feel pretty satisfied. If you’re like me though, or if you have nothing against to-go boxes, try the Greek, which was, in a word, awesome. For the sake of full disclosure, I should add a disclaimer here that although I try to practice topping tolerance, I have always harbored a deep poultry pizza prejudice. So it’s no surprise the Greek, with its grilled chicken, was among the last varieties I tried. When it arrived, my first thought was, this looks like it is going to be good. It was. It is balanced perfectly with the bright kalamata olives contrasting with the mellow goat cheese. The one I tried today, however, is my new favorite, chicken and all –the Buffalo Chicken Pi. I know, it makes no sense. As if my chicken avoidance issues weren’t enough, it doesn’t even have red sauce, which would normally also irk me –it just had wing sauce, but it really was love at first slice. You have the awesome crust, with a thin layer of medium heat Louisiana style wing sauce, on top there is a little mozzarella, some banana peppers, green onions, a few dabs of bleu cheese dressing, sliced grilled chicken and a drizzle of raspberry sauce (?!) over the whole thing. I don’t know what to say, it just worked. The raspberry sauce (?!) added just the right amount of sweet to the mild heat and vinegary goodness of the wing sauce. Oh yes, I will be having this again… soon. Tonight. So I can say this place has been consistently good, the prices are pretty decent –the most expensive pi is still under $8- service is fast and friendly, the place is clean and hey, free pizza (eventually). Of course if you associate Domino’s with excellent pizza, your results may vary.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere