“Affordable for extended stay Mayo Patients” 4 of 5 stars
Review of GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester

Save Saved
You added GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester to your Saves list
GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   435 16th Avenue NW, Rochester, MN 55901 (Formerly Travelodge Rochester)   |
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Rochester
Park Forest, Illinois
“Affordable for extended stay Mayo Patients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I needed an affordable hotel because I can't afford the hotels close to Mayo and needed to be there a whole week for testing. I had originally scheduled online and then contacted the hotel manager to see if there was any discount for Mayo patients. She was able to offer me their extended stay package that was even more affordable. When making my reservation I got a kitchenette suite to save money on eating out while I was there. Me and my husband were able to bring our own food to store in a full size fridge and cook on a stove top and microwave. We also had a toaster sink, cooking utensils, pans, glasses, plates and silverware in our room. We did treat ourselves though to room service from Famous Dave's that is attached to the hotel and delivers straight to your room (very good and very good service). This hotel offered a free shuttle service to and from the Mayo clinic that picked up at the front doors and was very convenient. Our room was on the 3rd floor. Every morning when we would leave our room or when we would come back the halls would smell fresh and clean which confuses me when I read other reviews. You could tell when room service had done their job because you could smell a flowery type aroma in the halls. The room was very clean and when we had our do not disturb sign up when I needed rest they never bothered us. The only thing about the hotel is that is a little outdated. It's not a fancy hotel like the ones closer to Mayo that charge $100 or more a night but it is affordable and I honestly don't have any complaints about the hotel itself. Also they have new Visio tv's that work with Xbox as well as free Wi Fi that worked great with my Laptop, Xbox and my Kindle. I do suggest that they monitor the halls in the evening if a lot of kids/teens will be staying there. One night the fire alarm went off and we heard kids running down the hall laughing as if they had pulled it. There was no fire either. The upsetting part is it was in the middle of the night and me and my husband were sleeping. We were exhausted from a long day at Mayo and I had to get up early for a long day of testing the next day and it was a little upsetting. But then that was out of the control of the hotel unless they choose to monitor the halls. Like I said if you are looking for a Hilton type hotel then you need to find one and pay the price for one. This hotel was nice and affordable for my long stay for Mayo.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and had a great kitchenette suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minnesota City, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here a few times, for business at the Civic Center and during Mayo Clinic visits. It lacks convenience of the hotels right down by the Clinic, and is nearly half the price. It is very adequate, clean and well decorated....very good value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 and the hotel is convenient to Mayo Clinic and the highway. However, the third floor room smelled like smoke, despite a no smoking policy, and the housekeeping leaves something to be desired. Upon initial arrival we found candy wrappers on the floor and chair, the microwave uncleaned and the table sticky.

The TVs are Vizio flatscreens but the cable quality is poor with lines through the picture and fuzzy images. It's also worth noting that their kitchens do not include a stove and the sink is quite small. Furniture is outdated and somewhat dirty in appearance but the beds were at least somewhat adequate in comfort.

The hotel offers wireless Internet access but the signal is so weak that any Apple iOS devices will not see it. Laptops/computers will see the signal and if you're really lucky it'll work at times. Most of the time the Internet connection, with a mid-level or lower signal strength, was completely unusable and too slow. Many other guests had the same comments and the front desk staff seem to be aware of the problems and simply "restart the wireless" at times.

The hotel is rather quiet and peaceful. Especially on the third floor. The rooms are of adequate size and the hot water is instantaneous. The bathroom has no hooks of any kind though so do not plan on hanging anything. All doors are supposed to be locked but we found that many on the back of the building were left propped open or they didn't latch. Totally unacceptable and unsafe feeling within the hotel. To that end, many smokers take one step outside the door and then light up. This apparently is ok with the property managers as there were ashcans nearby and some of their employees did the same.

We would only stay here again if pressed for money. Rochester has many hotels and this seems to be an older one that shows it's age and has less than acceptable housekeeping/maintenance.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor and near the hotel desk (low three hundreds).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I've been working in Rochester for about a month now and I've stayed on the first and second floors. The first floor allows pets and the rooms smell a bit. The second floor is the same as the first but without the pet smell. The third floor is very nice compared to the other two. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Also there is a famous Dave's BBQ connected to the hotel so you don't have to go far for a cocktail. The food is a little pricey but is very good. I'd stay there again but would request a room on the third floor.

• Stayed June 2012
GHIRochester, General Manager at GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the GuestHouse Inn and Suites of Rochester, and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you back in the future.

Thanks again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here during a training at Mayo clinic because of the kitchen facilities and the shuttle. I was not dissapointed because the room was large and well furnished. It was quiet and I was able to read. The Famous Dave is an experience you shouldnt miss. The food is excellent. The maids may sometimes miss cleaning some areas but they promptly correct anything you want them to. The breakfast was average but okay. Overall I will stay there anytime I am in Rochester.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
GHIRochester, General Manager at GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for staying with us here in Rochester. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and we hope you continue to come back again in the future.
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Only 1 mile to the Mayo Clinic, this hotel is very convienent for those traveling to the area for treatment at the Mayo. We stayed on the 3rd flr and the room was quite large. Also used the pool and hot tub, both of which were large and very relaxing. Very good rates so ask for the Mayo discount. Room was comfortable, but the furniture was outdated, showing much wear. Did appreciate the nice flat screen TV. Bathroom was small and with no hooks of any kind, couldn't hang up a bathrobe or sleepwear. A hook would be easy enough to install. Hotel does offer wireless internet, but the signal was so bad, I literally could not use my laptop and mine is brand new. Other guests were overheard commenting on the wireless signal as well.

Lots of places to eat very close by with Famous Dave's being attached to the hotel. Good parking. My biggest complained would be that the outside entrance we used had a card lock that was not working and anyone could just enter this entrance without a card. This was not acceptable at all and I am glad we only stayed 2 nights because of this.

I would stay here again but not unless I knew that door was secured.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
GHIRochester, General Manager at GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here in Rochester. I also want to thank you for taking the time and posting a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments about our facility and your stay here. We are in the process of fixing the concerns that came about during your stay, thank you for letting us know about them.

Hope to see you in the future.
Ellensburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here because it was cheap and near Mayo. Our reservation quickly changed from 3 nights to one night - mainly because of cleanliness. We didn't take our shoes off ever. The floors just kind of grossed us out and the bathroom floor was sticky. The guy at the reception desk was very nice but, that doesn't completely make-up for the hotel. We will not be staying here when we make a trip back to Rochester in June.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Guest House Inn and Suites in Rochester MN and taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am truly sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I can assure you that this is not our standard and we are currently making every effort to ensure this does not happen in the future. I do apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused and Thank you again for sharing.

Been to GuestHouse International Inn & Suites Rochester? Share your experiences!