“A warm, comfortable place with excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 239 Restaurants in Rochester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
pensacola, florida
“A warm, comfortable place with excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Comfortable , well spaced booths and tables, excellent food, attentive knowledgeable servers.
The bread and garlic and olive oil pesto are so good that it's easy to over do before your meal arrives. I dine here whenever I'm in town. This time I had tomato and basil soup and a grouper
entree. Excellent.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Roscoe, Illinois
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife and I dined at City Cafe on a Monday night. Overall, a great place that I would highly recommend. We shared one of the daily specials (breaded and fried red snapper with Andouille sausage hash), as well as tuna tacos with a mango salsa. It was obvious that all if the seafood was fresh, and hadn't come out of a freezer. Both dishes were awesome. The tacos had a little kick to them, so if you don't like spicy food, you might try something else. Although breaded and fried, the snapper was light and very good. The drink selection is top notch, and the service was superb. Having spent some time in Rochester, I can tell you that the "best restaurants" in town are pretty average at best. City Cafe is one of the few places that exceeds.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Morton, Illinois, United States
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We visited the City Café after a long day at Mayo Clinic. The food was great and they were able to get us in and out in the time that we required. We ordered the Chicken Satay Lettuce Wraps and the Scallops. The lettuce wraps were delicious. The scallops were good, but they would have been great had the apple cider Beurre blanc had just a touch more acid. Everything came off just a little too sweet. Love the finely diced apple served over the scallops to provide some texture. The bleu cheese mashed potatoes were good but a little heavy on the garlic. Would definitely visit again!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
rochester, mn
“every morsel of food is good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

frequent visits to this restaurant in Rochester near the Mayo clinic. We have never had anything but excellence from some dozen visits to this restaurant. Unique menu options and some mainstays.

Visited March 2013
North Dakota
“Great Food & Atmosphere on a Budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I ate lunch here last summer on a hot day and loved it so much we came back for dessert and a night cap that evening, and for lunch again the next time we were in town.

The seating outside is charming--you wouldn't know you are right off the street. Tucked into an alley, the dining tables have umbrellas for protection from the sun on hot days and are reminiscent of cafes in France. They are known for their seafood, and I ordered the mussels, which are one of their specialities. Mussels are at their best in late summer and early fall, so if you are there at this time, don't skip these. My wife had the portabella mushroom sandwhich, which she said was also very good. We came back for carrot cake and coffee that evening, because we had seen the freshly baked cake on the counter but did not have room for it after lunch--delicious!

We came back for lunch the next time we were in town, and ate inside (it was almost 100 that day). The interior is as charming as the exterior, with a mixture of wood and stone throughout and a beautiful old wooden bar, it is both cozy and casual with tons of character. I had the shrimp tacos (actually tiger prawns) and my wife had a salad (I can't remember if it was the mixed greens or the blackened salmon). Both were very good and priced well.

Service was better the first time we were there, when it was not so busy--our waitress the second time did not check in with us much and we felt a bit ignored. Better to eat lunch there outside of crunch time, I think, and to do so outside for the ambiance if weather permits. We'd come back to try it for dinner sometime as well--would make for a very romantic dinner experience outside, I think.

Prices are EXTREMELY good for lunch in Rochester, especially for the quality of food you will get. You could easily pay twice the amount for bad food at several other nearby restaurants (Micheal's and Victoria's come to mind...). Short walk down the street from Mayo and well worth it!

• Visited July 2012